vicanto
what I have to do for localization to my language?
mbaas
The first thing to do is to go into the PB-Program-directory, then subdir "lang" and to copy "pblang.properties" to "pblang_xx.properties" where xx stands for the ISO-Code of your language (I assume to - Harlan will probably jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then edit this file and translate the text after the "=". Be careful not to modify the number formats (i.e. CONNECTOR_FILE_SIZE_FORMAT etc.) and also do not change the words in all uppercase.

...and watch out for some of the other pitfalls and details discussed in this thread and elsewhere in this subforum.

The good thing is that you can immediately see the effect and edit and come back etc...

Have fun

BSTD
just to get things straight for me: do I remove the original pblang file from the directory or do I add the additional language?
I played around a little yesterday with pblang_DE and experienced quite some weird bugs... non-reproducible however. But this might have had lots of other reasons, too.
vicanto
Thank mbaas. I started italian localization
mbaas
BSTD, no, the idea is to create an additional file for your language, accordinng to the naming-convention described in my last reply.
Pascal
Hi Mbass,

When you say 'The good thing is that you can immediately see the effect and edit and come back etc...', what do you mean? I'm trying to start a French translation and wish I could see my first attempts effects. How can I see them ?
mbaas
Pascal,

I assume you're doing a french file, so if that is names pblang_fr.properties, PB should pick it up whenever it loads - and you should see your changes in the UI then and can adjust the translation where needed and restart all over.
This is much quicker than if had to email the translated file to the developer, have him implement this in an upgrade which he would then have to sent to you etc....

Cheers

Michael

Pascal
Got it!
It's quite funny to find back its own contribution in such a finilized aspect.
When the job is done, I'll post the file for any French speaking interested user.
Thanks Michael.
ates
how do you edit pblang_xx.properties file?  how do you open it?
perception is reality
mbaas
ates, I am using UltraEdit under Windows. If you are also working under windows, any other editor should do as well, even Notepad. The .properties-extension will probably not be associated with an editor, so double-clicking the file will not edit it. But maybe you have an "Open with..."-option in the context-menu? Or, alternatively, just start your editor and using File|Open (or similar options) open that file for editing.

If you're onLinux or Mac, I'm afraid I don't have detailed hints, but in principle it should be a similar approach - just edit that file.

It is a plain ASCII-File, so all editors should open it w/o problems

ates
Thanks, mbaas. I appreciate your fast response. I assume that you are in Europe as Iam in Istanbul.)

Notepad opens it w/o any problem. Do you still insist on UltraEdit for some other reason?

When you start TheBrain the first time, how do you select the language? Is there an option so that TheBrain can be started in the desired language?

I plan to work on the Turkish language, do you have any recommendations?

Best regards,
Ates
perception is reality
jroeterd
I use Attesoro
http://attesoro.org/

Jroeterd
ates
Thanks, jroeterd.

Any specific reason why Attesoro should be used? Any shortcomings with Notepad?

I am working on the Turkish language version. Any recommendations?

Best regards,
Ates

perception is reality
jroeterd

Hello Ates,

Attesoro is specially made to translate .properties files. When you put the new languagefile that comes with a new version of PersonalBrain in the directory you are working all new entries are presented in blue.Translate all blue entries and your up-to-date again. 

Using diff in different text editors was not as easy as it is presented most of the time and editors with good diff-functionality are in most cases not free. 

In notepad you have to search for the new entries.

See also this post http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2781328

Jroeterd

mbaas
@ates, yes, I'm not too far away from you (Frankfurt area in Germany)

I do not at all insist on using Ultraedit, in fact any editor will do. In the past I also had a look at Attesoro, but was not too happy with it, I think it had changed the sequence of entries, inserted linefeeds etc. - and I'm a developer myself, I like to have full control over what gets done to a file and what not.  In order to compare my version against updated files from newer versions I use BeyondCompare which can also be used for the editing, so for smaller updates I don't even use a separate editor.

You don't have to do anything special to get PB use your translation. Just make sure that the lang-code (pblang_xx.properties) matches the code for your language (TR for turkey) and when you start next time, it should automatically use that file. (Careful: missing texts etc. may cause problems during startup!)

No specific recommendations for turkish language, just go ahead and ask whenever you have a problem

HTH

Michael 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software