mctrexler
We can't yet migrate the entire Climate Web to TB9 since the Web Client isn't yet up to the task.  But I'm considering taking individual slices of the Climate Web and bringing them into TB9 to take advantage of  the user read-only download ability.

That means that I'll have to maintain that slice's content in both 8 and 9.  As part of the overall Climate Web, and as just the TB9 slice.  Any suggestions on how to keep the content identical in both places?

Thanks!

Mark  
metta
Mark, I've found an extremely easy way to keep content integrated between TB8 and TB9 -- if TB staff would be willing to make a minor change in the way iFrames display in TB9 web client.

Here's what I have in mind....and what I would really like to be able to use in future brain projects:

Right now TB8 and TB9 both provide the option to embed a web brain in an iFrame to create an HTML web page with a "window" into this brain. See the following example using a TB8 iFrame:
> http://mettaonline.net/brain-tests/curiosity.html

I've also found that if you take this very same HTML file and add it into TB9 as an attached FILE (not a link), it displays perfectly within TB9 desktop.

See desktop screenshot below, and note the preferred settings in the desktop brain:
  • attachments as TABS (not list)
  • embedded browser turned ON
Desktop-NormalDisplay.png

You can even use the "Open in a New Window" link I've provided in the TB8 brain to open TB8 in it's own desktop window! :-)

However, if you view this same thought in the web client, the iframe is now truncated and the embedded brain display is obscured:

WebClient-TruncatedDisplay.png 
This is where a simple fix in the iFrame display within TB9 web client would allow brain users to integrate content from different brains (either TB8 or TB9) into the TB9 -- and the integrated content would then display equally well in BOTH TB9 desktop and TB9 web client.

(Please note that the embedded iFrame brain could be either TB8 or TB9. I simply used v8 brain in this example.)

I realize this solution may not be exactly what you originally had in mind, Mark, but this "Hybrid Super Brain" model would provide tremendous versatility for brain owners to integrate and interconnect both TB8 and TB9 web content, without a lot of unnecessary duplication and redundancy -- assuming the aforementioned iFrame display issue could be fixed with a simple setting adjustment in the TB9 web client.

Is this anything that you and/or other brain users would be interested in?
mctrexler
Metta, I think it's a great idea since it increases versatility.  But I'm not clear on how your iFrame workaround relates to the "read only" download feature in TB9.  Would a user be able to, in effect, download a read-only version of the TB8 Brain?  Or is that a bridge too far?

Mark 
metta
Context for new brain users regarding TB9 sharing (which is different than TB8 sharing):
  • Short URLs for sharing TB9 brains are provided within the private TB9 interface (web client or desktop).
  • When shared within TB9 interface, these URLs provide recipients with read-only access to the shared brain in 2 locations:
    • in the private TB9 web client (requires a free TB9 account)
    • in TB9 desktop (requires a free TB9 account and the installation of the shared brain on the desktop)
 It is this last option to which Mark is referring in his preceding question.
- - - - - - - - -

Mark ~

The iFrame described above simply provides a "window" into the web client version of the brain located in the frame (TB8 or TB9).
  • This means the user who receives shared access to a hybrid brain (with framed child brain content) would only be able to see and navigate within the framed (web brain) content on their desktop.
  • They would NOT be able to download and manipulate any content (v8 or v9) shared through an iFrame.

A few other important considerations about using iFrames:
  • Using an iFrame with a v8 child brain provides an additional benefit in terms of controlling who has what access to your content. Specifically, the links to the child brain (v8 only), along with any of the thoughts in it, can be hidden or kept visible, depending upon:
    • how you initially set up TB8 iFrame in the HTML file and
    • whether or not you want your readers to be able to access the content outside of TB9.
  • Since TB9 brains are shared differently from TB8, a framed v9 child brain will (by default) have hidden thought links. 
    • Since TB9 doesn't currently provide a public option for sharing short links within the web client (unlike TB8), there is no way to make child thought links visible in a v9 iFrame unless you manually add the web client thought links to each thought either within the thought note itself, or as a link attached to the thought.
      • Currently, web client links placed within notes in TB9 do not work in the web client.
      • Currently, web client links placed as attachments in TB9 will overwrite the window in the web client.
      • In a desktop brain, a brain or thought link located in an iFrame will conveniently open in a new desktop window.
  • iFrames do NOT display in TB8 as they do in TB9, so only v9 brains can function as the "parent" brain in this "hybrid super brain" model.
  • Private thoughts are visible in shared (v9) parent brains, but not in framed child brains (v8 or v9).
  • Currently the iFrame option described above will only work in the desktop version of TB9 until/unless TB staff fixes the way iFrames display in TB9 web client.
metta
If anyone would like to see a demo of an iframe in the web client and/or on the desktop, just let me know, and I can create a mini-demo to share with you.
  • The mini-demo in the web client will illustrate the current limitations of iFrames in the web client (which could be fixed with a simple setting adjustment by TB staff).
  • If you share your email address with me (just PM me), then I can share this mini-demo brain with you by email and you'll be able to view this mini-demo on your desktop where the framed child brain will be fully functional.
metta
= Update =

For those who are interested, I've created a mini-demo of this "hybrid brain" model that illustrates 2 sample "child" brains (TB8 & TB9) displaying within iFrames inside a V9 "parent" brain.

Remember: Currently the iFrames are fully functional only in the desktop version of the demo, to which I can provide access, if you are interested. See details in the mini-demo.
mcaton
I think the iFrame page as a Brain attachment starts to get a little confusing.  TheBrain within TheBrain.  Personally, I like the looks of opening your entire Brain directly in v9.

I'm aware of the features and fixes that you and Mark are both waiting for in the v9 web client and many of these items are in active development.

Thank you,
Matt
metta

Thanks for your feedback, Matt. I realize the potential for confusion does increase when a brain (or any other web site) is embedded inside another brain. In fact, this confusion, and the fact that the embedded browser will not work on all web sites, is the reason I had not been planning to enable to the embedded browser in most of my shared/public brain projects.

However, this "hybrid brain" idea started simply as an experiment -- and then later I thought it might provide Mark with a way to share his content in multiple places, while only needing to updated it in the original location.

In addition, I recently discovered a simple way to display a brain-within-a-brain in either the browser or the desktop, and I've updated my demo accordingly, for those who are interested in seeing a working sample of the browser-enabled iFrame.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software