Rus
I have been busy with other projects for a few month and could not take care of my webbrain. It seems a lot has changed since...
1. I noticed my brains could not be private anymore, so I changed the setting tp public
2.But still none of my brains show up in web pages where I embedded them, tried it in EI, Ff & Chrome.
3.I wanted to try to upload a new BrainZIP, but there's no upload button...
4.Also the button I used to use to get them embed-code seems lost ..

Can someone please give me some help. I seemed to have missed some essential stuff and don't want to loose this project because a lot of work was put into it.

Thanks in advance

Rus

mcaton
Rus,

Thanks for posting.  Yes, a recent upgrade of WebBrain has taken place.  Here's a link to see some of the new features:

Your private setting is most likely the result of your trial period expiring.  You should, however, still be able to embed WebBrains in other sites.  Can you post a sample of the code you are using and we'll take a look?

In order to upload a new PersonalBrain, just open the actual Brain locally and click on the Sync button.

True, the 'Share' button is now gone, but you can still use much of the same code to embed a brain on another site.  I've attached some sample code that should help.  We'll hope to bring the share button back in a future build.

Thank you,
Matt
Rus
Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I really hope the problem can be solved. It took me weeks to find out how to integrate WebBrain in a small site, so I hope it can be recovered.

Is it OK if you have the URL of the homepage of the site? It's http://www.b-u-t.info.
If you open the code screen you can see how my page is constructed.
I hope this works for you.
If not, I can of course mail you the code separate.

Thanks for any help

Marius

mcaton
Marius,

Try replacing the code on your page with this:

<iframe src="http://webbrain.com/brain/brain/4A3E4E89-1DD5-76E6-F9EF-4788754D1AE8/thought/28" style="width:600px; height:600px"></iframe>

You can make additional changes and edits once you confirm that this code will work.

Thank you,
Matt
Rus
Hey Matt,
Thanks!That brings back the plex. So its a real good start.

Now can you tell me also what in essence is the difference between the old code and the new one... What should I change to implement this in my old lay-out?
Because I still hope I can bring this back. It had two squeares, a clean plex on the left side and content on the right. Hope can still help me on the way a bit more.

Marius

mcaton
Since the actual Brain being loaded is now HTML 5, there are many new changes - most of them positive.  We don't have any options yet for a side by side view in an embedded WebBrain... just over/under.  I'll throw this feature suggestion out to the engineers and see what they think.

Thank you,
Matt
Rus
Hi Matt,
This is really very bad news for me!
I invested a lot of time in the project that was based on the option that you could use the plex to navigate through the attached web pages. What happened to the option to open a connected web page in a separate iFrame?

For the latest version of WebBrain Harlan himself posted the technique and based on this I started to work on this again. I had been waiting for two years for this option. It did cost me loads of time to reach the structure I reached last february, and now it seems the 'upgrade' is more like a destruction on this option. Can you give me any positive news on how to bring this back?  I realy don't want to think of the waste of energy this 'upgrade' would cost me ...

Hope you have some kind of solution.

Thanks,

Rus

Adathome
Matt wrote:
Since the actual Brain being loaded is now HTML 5 We don't have any options yet for a side by side view in an embedded WebBrain... just over/under.  Thank you,
Matt

Rus wrote: Hi Matt,
This is really very bad news for me!
I invested a lot of time in the project that was based on the option that you could use the plex to navigate through the attached web pages.
Hope you have some kind of solution.
Thanks,
Rus

on this moment the onle way to get a side by side view is using Sitebrain.

See for example:  http://adschevers.nl/Personal_Brain/index.html 
under;  My sitebrains - Wine

Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 8 - Java 1.8.0-05 - TB 7.0.4.5)
Rus
Thanks for the reply Ad, but I regret it is not working for me.

I designed a complete info system for me, based on the option that Harlan posted in his blog some time ago. (I cannot find the post itself now with the tech info, but here is another posting where he mentioned it: http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3597302.

So this upgrade for me means a complete waste of all the the time I put in to this and of the goal I had in mind for using it. It doesn't make me very happy about PB, to put it mildly. I really hope the are working on bringing this option back!

Rus
Matt,

Can you at least say something about chances that this option might be restored in the future and maybe even in what time?
I feel a bit like my issue is dumped ...

Thanks Marius
mcaton
Rus,

Adathome is correct, the only current option for side by side viewing or for auto opening web pages in the content window is the SiteBrain export feature.  WebBrains that are embedded in your site can only be displayed in the over/under format and will only launch web page attachments in a new browser window or tab, not within the content window.  

There are many reasons for this new change, the first of which is reliability and stability.  Opening content from other websites in a frame below the plex often had the potential to 'break' the WebBrain experience (taking over the browser, opening pop ups, etc.)

Also, in recent years, it has become bad programming etiquette to open someone else's page inside yours.  Interesting article on that subject here http://daringfireball.net/2009/04/how_to_block_the_diggbar.

The issue of auto opening webpages was never dumpped, but rather discussed at great length within the development team before it was decided that this feature would be removed.

Regarding the side by side view - I'll raise this question once again to see if this option could be returned.

Thank you,
Matt 
Rus
Hi Matt,

First: I understand and fully respect technical arguments, but regret that they are used only after the option Harlan posted last year are implemented.

Besides this, from my professional stand, tech code reasons are only one side of the coin. I am a consultant in communication research with some experience in usability research and user directed design. (Here in Holland I published on this topic and in the mean time about 13.00 copies were sold...)
This is just to explain why I am rather stuborn in trying to explain that good interaction design is about more then just perfect tech standards. It's also about how well information can be presented in the context of what we know about peoples info consuming behaviour.

This being said: I have looked at the possibilities of SiteBrain, but to be honest it doesn't come close to what really nice screen design should look like and to I did with the possibilities Harlans code gave me.

The fact is that I had programmed an info system based on Personal Brain localy on my laptop already years ago, when I had the impressions PB could do what only last year became reality. So when Harlan posted the code for this side-by-side plex, for me this was a very good moment and I started to work again on this project and converted the complete site (originally also in two langiages) to a new version that might be published online. A major work, but I thought is was worth the effort. And indeed: I managed to get a really exact copy online with the full functionality of a dynamic PB plex. (The thing was that until last year I only could do this in a very dumb way by using static screenshot of the plex.)

Luckily when I dived into an old harddisk I still could find a copy of this old InfoSys with this old static plex. Although I did not had the intention to publish this for the moment, because  it is far from finished, I have put it online know so to give you an impressions why it is that I am very unpleasantly surprised by what for me is this downgrade of WebBrain to HTML5. You can find the test brain I startd off with here. I hope it helps you to understand what I am talking about and why I am really not interested in SiteBrain. Because this is what I want, what I worked on and produced succesfully.

So finally - and I guess I have made my point already ;-) , I really hope an option is produced for the new WebBrain to design again real nice side-by-side screens.

And thanks for folllowing me thruogh this.

Marius

Rus
I left it for a while, not wanting to think of the many many hours I lost by this technical shift that ruined the project I had built on the first versions of webbrain.
Still i was hoping PB might come up with a solution that could repair this unexpected incompatible upgrade.
But there has been a deafening silence since my last post.
Really to my major disappointment.
mcaton
Rus,

Thank you for the feedback.  We do have some significant upgrades to SiteBrain in our most recent limited Beta release that may be of interest to you.  Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Matt
Rus
Hello Matt,

Just downloaded the upgrade, but I ended up with a messed up desktop and had to force shut down the application. Bit too much beta for me ;-)
Still hope a newer version will offer the option I am looking for.

Hopefully,

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software