CaptainJustice
I can't find a way to mark the entire Brain private.
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 4, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
zenrain
  1. Report > run for all thoughts.
  2. From the report hamburger menu choose Add all to selection
  3. Right click the selection, choose Set Selection Privacy > Make Private

Also, as far as I can tell, if a private thought is active, and you create a new one that links to that thought, the new thought will be private also. So the only time you will need to manually set the privacy after doing the above is if you create an orphan thought. 😃
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
Oh, new brains when they are uploaded are automatically not public (if that is the question). 
From the brains list when you first open a new tab, click the hamburger menu to the bottom right of the brain you want to check, choose Brain access and Sharing, and make sure Allow Public Access isn't checked.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
CaptainJustice
zenrain wrote:
Oh, new brains when they are uploaded are automatically not public (if that is the question). 
From the brains list when you first open a new tab, click the hamburger menu to the bottom right of the brain you want to check, choose Brain access and Sharing, and make sure Allow Public Access isn't checked.

Thanks, Zen

My understanding is that if all thoughts are marked private AND the brain is marked public, that the public will actually see ONLY the thoughts that are NOT private. But, per other threads (and the notice on the sharing box) any email invites will be able to also see private thoughts.

If this is all correct, then marking all as private, but making the brain public, allows you to expose just selected parts of the web brain to the (non-invitee) public.

And yes, I think once marked private all children automatically go private. Not sure about siblings. 
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge
CaptainJustice
 My confusion continues. I have a test brain at  https://bra.in/3j8Nbp where I initially marked all thoughts as private.
Then I marked a couple as public.
They still don't show up.

Now, in that Brain (vers. .263) I can't change the privacy setting of the top level. Open that thought properties and the lock icon is greyed out. I'm thinking it is the private setting of that top-level thought that is preventing any of the lower thoughts (which are marked public) from showing. That top-level thought is, of course, the HOME thought.

So, I created a new thought to be the home. Connected all lower thoughts to it. Set it as the home thought. It is automatically locked. Logical behavior in my mind. But it shows up in a report of all public thoughts and a report of all private thoughts shows none.

Now the stumper, which is possibly unrelated: sync this brain and nothing shows up except the OLD home thought. Then FORGOT the old home thought and sync'd. OLD home thought is still the only thing showing online. 

Logged in online and the entire brain shows up correctly. So there is something about the settings I still don't savvy. Apparently if the HOME thought is PRIVATE everything beneath it is automatically private EVEN IF they are individually PUBLIC.
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge
CaptainJustice
And it gets weirder. I logged in, made one change to the web brain version. It sync'd to the brain on the computer. Logged out of the web and re-accessed the web brain and it all shows up.
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge
Harlan
The home thought can never be made private. If it was, there would be no place to start. If you were somehow able to make the home thought private via the selection then that is a bug we weren’t aware of... 

The private status of newly created thoughts is taken from the source thought. 

Thoughts that are public will show if they are connected to a thought that is public. If your home thought was private (as per the possible bug above), that would explain why they didn’t show. 

Hopefully this will clarify what’s happened. If not, please chat in on Monday and someone will troubleshoot with you live. 
Regards,
-Harlan
CaptainJustice
Harlan wrote:
The home thought can never be made private. If it was, there would be no place to start. If you were somehow able to make the home thought private via the selection then that is a bug we weren’t aware of... 

The private status of newly created thoughts is taken from the source thought. 

Thoughts that are public will show if they are connected to a thought that is public. If your home thought was private (as per the possible bug above), that would explain why they didn’t show. 

Hopefully this will clarify what’s happened. If not, please chat in on Monday and someone will troubleshoot with you live. 

On my home thought the lock icon is closed and greyed out. The pop-up is check-marked Private. I think it got that way when I selected all thoughts and set Private. Brain home.png 
-- The Cap'n
Samsung 7Edge
Harlan
Use the selection to change the private setting of the home thought back to public or set a different thought as the home thought. After you do that and sync everything should start working properly. We’ll fix the problem with the selection being able to make the home thought private in a future release. 
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software