Mandox
Since using the new beta, I keep experiencing slow responses. When I look at the mem usage, it starts with about 33 MB once the plex is initialized. But then over time it keeps increasing to about 150 MB, even if the brain stays idle. This takes about 30 min when I do nothing, and about 10 min when I use the brain switching thoughts, starting attachments, etc. It seems that PB doesn't release all unused memory.
The brain I use has about 200 thoughts, 20 MB overall. I am using PB 5.0.0.5 on Win XP SP2 (same with PB 5.0.0.6).
/edit: when pasting images to the notes section of many thoughts, memory quickly ramps up to 200MB, until I can't paste anymore. I then need to restart PB to get back to normal
dixieangler

I think I have noticed the same thing. I am running vista sp1, and have noticed slow response times periodically and a couple of times so much memory was taken that other programs stopped responding and I had to reboot. One thing I noticed that even at idle cpu usage was around 50%. You never know with Vista was causes what but I thought I would note this. Did not experience this at all with same set up on v4.

HanBav
also with me it gets slower and slower after some hours. But I did not check memory usage up to now. Just after restarting my complete system I see 158.644 K. Will have a look at it now.
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
revrev
PB 5005 and XP SP2

Same here. Mine ticks up to 102 Mb then drops to 97 Mb then repeats.

hherbzilla
Decided to turn on memory usage after viewing this thread. Launched at 30MB or so... After a full day, it was just up around 180MB.. and now about 150MB.

Created a new Brain, and it was in the 20-30MB range to start. Switched back to the other Brain, and it opened at about 31MB but is slowly climbing as I sit there watching it... 70MB and growing. Weird!
Herb
HanBav
Now it's the third time Personal Brain disappeared suddenly or had to be terminated because non responsive:
CPU Usage was around 50% (normally 1% when idle); was very slow since minutes.
Memory usage was at 280M. The same brain uses 106 right after start.

PeterRHawkes
Beta 5.0.0.6 after leaving PC on, with PB open, overnight I come back and find PB displaying a white / blank window. Windows Vista shows PB is using 250Mb+ of memory and 43% processor. I have to kill the process and restart PB.

I only used 4.5 for a short time but did not get this problem.

Peter R Hawkes
HanBav
Now regularly after a few hours of usage, sometimes only some 10  minutes 5006 either disappears or has to be killed because of being far too slow. As soon as I recognize it becoming slower normally only a few inputs of new thoughts or link manipulations are possible, then I am on 50% CPU and PB is no more able even to close down within some minutes.
I use outline-view a lot (that's the main reason for using the beta) and some times tags.
Can I help by sending any file as soon as the sickness begins?

JonnyB
Finding the same problem running the latest beta.

puckja
I had one strange "crash" and wonder if it is related to the memory leak.

5.0.1.3 was installed on one USB drive (with about 1.5GB left).  The data file is also on the same drive.  It was running fine and was idle for may be more than an hour.  When I get back to work on it, PB was so sluggish that I though that my USB stick may not be fast enough (but it was running ok an hour ago).  Finally I got the "delayed write error" from the task bar.  I shut down PB and tried to do the "safely  remove USB..." routine but found no such icon in the task bar.  After I detached the USB drive and re-connect, the file system on it was corrupted and I was told to format the drive.  I lost all data.  Good thing is that I had backup before this test drive.

The Kingston USB drive worked for me for almost a year and without any problem at all in the past.

This experience really get me away from running PB from USB, at least for the beta.

Puck

JonnyB
Using 5.0.1.3 and find that over time it also uses more and more system resources (after an hour it is at 270 mb and growing).  It also starts to slow down and stutter the longer I use it.  If I don't shut it down and refresh it regularly then it gets very very slow and refuses to shut down so that I have to terminate the process through task management and start again, hoping that that won't corrupt the file. 
HanBav
Still the same for me with 5013:
takes more and more ressources, typically 27x M.
Slower and slower
no reaction
has to be killed or kills itself
the only good thing about this that oviously nothing is lost
and brain is in good mood at morning, having no idea about a bad night
I would send any information you need to cure my hungry and sometimes sad brain!

jsw_nz
This is my second day trying out Personal Brain - I must say, that I am impressed with its ostensibility. Having said that, I think it is fair to ask why the design management team of the product has not responded to this issue. I came to the boards to lookup exactly what the title of this thread targets >> memory usage/leakage (I am trialing 5.013 beta - started at 30MB and am now at 180MB). I think this is an issue that deserves response from the company. Looking at the OP this thread is nearly a month and a half old.

Another reason for my posting this, in due respect to the the software vendor - I am so impressed with this application, that it is a done deal that I will be purchasing this package, and thus the larger question looms - whether this issue gets fixed - and I can export / re-import the work that I have done in the last two days - which is something of an investment itself.

kind regards....
running Windows XP sp3

it does look like they are busy - the changelog/release notes, located here - does mention an earlier memory fix issue - but it is still occuring, as evidenced by the numerous entries on this page:

Cornan
Yes, memory increases to perhaps 200 MB and then (I think) runs out of Java memory space and crashes. 

See attached files.

PB 5.0.1.5
Windows XP sp3

jsw_nz: Yes, it's a young product.  The downside is that it's not perfectly stable yet; I've spent hours on crashes of one kind or another.

My advice: make regular backups, not only brainzips but also complete copies of your name.brain file and name_brain folders (in at least one case quite recently the brainzip cycle lost my urls).   At least I've not yet had to go back to square one on a brain.

On the (very) positive side, we have some influence over PB (see http://thebrain.uservoice.com), which is [only] part of why I jumped on board.  I'm hoping that we can retain today's flexibility as new features are added.

There are missing features (getting data in and out, printing, thought cosmetics, a multi-user mode and a better web export to name a few), but the blending of hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements sold me.
Harlan
We are always looking at ways of making PersonalBrain more efficient. If you take a look elsewhere on the forum, you will see that we have made many comments on this issue and have implemented many improvements as a result of ongoing testing as well as user feedback...
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software