Quorcork
Hello!
Is there a way to merge different brains in PB 4? I originally started with three different brains but would like to integrate them into one.
Best regards
Silvan
Spacenexus
Hi Silvan

According to Matt at The Brain that feature is in the pipeline:

Quote:
We're also working on a merge feature that will allow you to merge 4.0 Brain files together.

(http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2118265&trail=15#4)

cheers

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Quorcork
Thanks!
Shiiko
Hi,

Anyone heard any news or have developed new strategies for merging two brains?

Saludos!

Ellysna
I would also be very interested! Also, could a selected portion of a brain be copied to another brain?

Just found this software a few days ago, and I am very impressed!!! This takes organizing and brainstorming to a whole new level!

Harlan
Merging of Brains and copying/pasting between Brains, including the copying of thoughts as well as thought types, is being worked on as the next major piece of functionality for the 4.1 beta.
Regards,
-Harlan
Shiiko
Great news!

Perhaps we are moving closer to an Unwrapped Notation Design Order?
(another subliminal message).

Trischa
Ellysna asked about cutting/saving portions of brains (lobotomy?)

I am also interested in that. I have a separate brain that represents a research document and I want to be able to export out only a bit of it (say an appendix) as a site brain for someone else to look at (saved to a CD).

Should I at this point:
(a) before the main brain gets too big save the brain under another name and delete out all the non-related stuff, then keep 2 brains matched (one as part of bigger brain, the other for showing to others - a rotten idea!)

(b) work through and make everything private that isn't to "print out" in the export

(c) Keep 2 entirely separate brains for sections of the document and hope I can import the public info part in due course?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Trischa
SamCox
Merging brains, copying thoughts and types . . . this will be great!

Inspired by Trischa's predicament, I would like to suggest an ability to include sub-brains in my main brain. A sub-brain is a bonafide brain file in its own right, but when included in another brain, its thoughts are accessible as read-only. I wouldn't be able edit the included thoughts at all -- thought name, notes, attachments, etc. -- and I wouldn't be able to drag links to or from them. Searches would, however, find thoughts in the sub-brain.

In this manner, what appears as a single large brain is actually partitioned into several smaller, independent and specialized brains. An application of this kind of structure might be a brain of the USA in which I create a Colorado brain, you an Oregon brain, and someone else a tiny little Rhode Island brain. The larger USA brain would simply include the state brains which could be separately updated and enhanced, and which could remain the IP of their individual authors.

It would be useful if the sub-brains could also include sub-sub-brains which would also be accessible in the main brain. To continue the example, a California state brain could include San Francisco and Los Angles sub-brains.

Actually, most of this idea of included thoughts is stolen directly from the TiddlyWiki (TW) IncludePlugin which I used to divide a large TW into a number of relatively static parts ncluded at load time into my main and quite dynamic main TW.

-- Sam
Harlan
Trischa wrote:
Ellysna asked about cutting/saving portions of brains (lobotomy?)

I am also interested in that. I have a separate brain that represents a research document and I want to be able to export out only a bit of it (say an appendix) as a site brain for someone else to look at (saved to a CD).

Trisha, you can simply select the thoughts you want to export using the Edit > Crawl brain and modify selection command. (It will be easier if you sever all the links back to the rest of your brain.) Then, when you do the export, make sure that the appropriate checkbox is selected. In the future, the ability to easily save and recall selections will be available to help with this type of situation.
Regards,
-Harlan
Telemark
I actually feel a bit let down by not being able to merge brains in 4.0.....since that was possible in brain 3.0.

Why isn't that feature implemented ?

:-)Kim Groth
zenrain
A sub brain would be pretty neat. I would prefer an Oregon brain to a California brain though. Better beer... 
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Trischa
Harlan, thank you for the help re selecting the thoughts to export using Edit > Crawl brain.

I bought Brain 3 ages ago, and really didn't use it much.  Now upgraded to 4 Pro and paying more attention. I am exporting site brain mostly but the export in "simple" version is fantastic for getting an alphabetical listing, even though the complex mode is closer to my undisciplined mind! The tips on using crimson editor to change the window size etc (in the tutorial) were helpful too. I am on Oz time so a bit out of sync with online classes.

Trischa

PS - for beer, surely it has to be sub-brain Oz? I think we are beerier and beachier than California. We also occupy a lot of the SOUTHERN hemisphere (no left/right global hemisphere --ditto no one can claim to be the frontal lobe!
Spacenexus
Quote:
I would like to see the capability of adding a link (or thought) in one brain that will open into another brain...kind of a window (or hyperlink or worm-hole?) into the next brain.  (I know this is somewhat redundant given the Brain Buttons, but it might be a more intuitive way to move from one brain to the next, keeping multiple brains an option, but giving the effect of a single brain...).

[Newguy, I've responded in this forum to maintain continuity]

I like this idea and there are some additional interesting ideas in this post and related thread:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=20924509&postcount=9

By default i keep just about everything on one brain since i see the connections between disparate areas of life as being stronger than what separates them such as work/home/passions etc.

A certain separation fits others usage models better and sometimes a discrete brain containing a targeted knowledge base on a topic is required. Currently when that need arises i tend to use Mind Manager (hence this request: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=20676806&postcount=18). However, with MS Excel and MS Project it is very natural cross link separate files that need to remain discrete yet be able to view them as one.

My personal ideal would be the type of approach MS Project takes of enabling separate project files to be viewed seamlessly as one project under a master umbrella file; however the core data is saved in the separate sub files which are themselves standalone MS Project files and can be viewed independently. Any changes made in either via the master or sub file are synchronised.

There are several viable approaches to brain merging, discretely embedding (as above), and cross linking. It might be useful for the brain team to outline their current approach to this feature set so that we can provide some early feedback to their efforts.

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Harlan
Telemark wrote:
I actually feel a bit let down by not being able to merge brains in 4.0.....since that was possible in brain 3.0.

Why isn't that feature implemented ?

Kim, as I mentioned, we are working on this as the next major piece of functionality for the 4.1 beta. All users of 4.0 will receive this upgrade at no charge.

4.0 is a complete rewrite of everything, so the priorities were a little different than "build everything in 3.0" - we chose to build the pieces of functionality that we could complete fastest and would give the greatest functionality.

The development efforts for PersonalBrain are non-stop, so don't worry - we're still working on lots of cool new features for you all.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software