wordmuse
TheBrain provides 3 different views.
- normal
- expanded
- outline

So clearly there is an acceptance that people can have needs to see information in different ways.

I'd like a 4th way. I'd like a flat view that makes TheBrain look like Freemind, or better, like cMap http://bit.ly/15somWP.

There is something about being able to visually glide over an orderly surface that is very appealing to me. Hopefully to others, too.

- Bal
zenrain
I'm not really clear on this. What would the difference be between the flat view and expanded?
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
wordmuse
Mainly the layout. With Freemind, I can build a map that is left-to-right oriented. That is all of the finer descendants can be to he right of their parents. This makes for predictability of location and fits with how I prefer to read large amounts of information. 

You get something like this with the Outline view, yes? Although with the outline view, you can only see what's in a particular hierarchy; and not see all the siblings and their descendants.

So what I'm looking for is something of a combination.
zenrain
I see, sort of an expanded outline view that won't collapse parents/children when you select a thought. 
Agreed, that would be very nice.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
wordmuse
Nice to know I'm not alone in this desired feature. [smile]
jostber
I would like this feature as well. [smile] An ordered display like a mind map would give a very useful overview of a set of thoughts.

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

enkidu
Funny I just found this thread, and was mulling on opening up this subject these last few days.

I personally ran away from anything hyerarchical-only, and from freemind because of it's too colorful : unfit for large amounts of info.

I also like CMAP Tools very much, but it lacks the auto-layout feature of TheBrain, which makes too clunky to manage beyond a few dozen items (ok, it does have auto-layout, but it's one-shot, not instantly refreshed).

but my ideal would be a CMAP-Tools type layout with TheBrain's dynamics.

cheers
enkidu

enkidu
I forgot to say (rather, ask) if an "aeroplane" view was useful to us Brain users.

I personally think so, but might as well ask.

cheers
enkidu
jostber
If it could be possible in the Distant Thoughs view to reach these thoughts with the keyboard as well as zoom their thought names this might be something more similar to a mindmap view. Zooming icons/images for a thought with the keyboard would also be very useful.

LuizAlfredo
Has my vote too. +1.
L.A.G.M.
jostber
I like the distant thoughts(expand all) view a lot, but when the distant thoughts is not accessible by the keyboard it's not as useful as it could be. Enabling this would be very efficient.

pthompson
I've seen some previews of what's being worked on for the next version of TheBrain and all I can say at this point is it looks amazing.
digitecture
Will there be a demo of it or preview?  I liked the pre-working version of 7, 8 a few years ago that were made available, but no preview for version 9 yet.
PaddyVA
Oh, how tantalizing, Patrick!

I use the Outline view almost exclusively, and would welcome an expansion as suggested above.

I've been experimenting with linking Mohiomap of my Evernotes to TB.  It works by drag and drop. Has potential of linking map displays of files in Dropbox and Google Drive too, but I haven't opened them up to MM yet.

Hoping to see more interactivity between iOS versions of TB and other apps.  Suggested using IFTTT as a starting point a while back.  Any word on that being further considered?

Need some super app or software that can display all of an individual's Personal Big Data in one place, and links between them, with quick and easy searches.
digitecture
I generally see thebrain as a concept map database.  There are multiple centers instead of one central hub as there exists with mind maps, so I usually link or associate my single center mindmaps into thebrain as the super map.  I think the expanded view is the best bet for continue development for thebrain as there is nothing else on the market that does it.  I remember some years ago, the web-brain had the capacity to allow expanded view creation which was fantastic.  The switch to java for the web-brain removed that capacity.  I would definitely like to see more made to how we access and view the data in the brain.  Since there is more emphasis on java, why not allow more info-graphic extensions such as working with D3 java library and other types of methods for working with data.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software