mctrexler
Probably a ridiculously simple answer, but haven't been able to come up with it! 

My icon for Brain 8 has disappeared from my Windows 10 screen, the only one there is the Windows 9 icon.  When I go to the Start button and scroll down to TheBrain, the only program that shows up there is Brain 9.  

So now I have to open the Brain 8 manually from within File Explorer, and I can't have multiple Brains open.  When I open a second Brain, it replaces the first.  

Again, probably a silly question, but help me out! 

Thanks,

Mark
pthompson
Mark,

You can create a shortcut for any application from within it's installation party by right-clicking on the .exe file and choosing to send a shortcut to your desktop.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mctrexler
Thanks!
mikesingleton
I had this issue too, but no big deal.

However the Brain 8 disappeared from Windows 10 "All Apps" list - only Brain 9 shows up there.

Brain 8 is working just fine though regardless.
mctrexler
OK, created the shortcuts from the Brain directory (have no idea whether using one or the other of the two Brain application files makes a difference - why are there two (PersonalBrain and TheBrain)?

But starting two days ago when I activate TheBrain from the shortcut in my Taskbar, TheBrain opens as normal, but when I choose a Brain to actually open this is the opening screen I get.  The "Loading" messages doesn't seem to go away, and I have to close TheBrain and open it from the specific Brain file, not the program icon. This "Loading" message is a new one to me.  Suggestions?

Mark

loading.png 
mctrexler
Turns out I had created the shortcut from the PersonalBrain app file, and that creating the shortcut from the TheBrain app file doesn't generate the error.  Still curious why there are two such apparent launch files.  

Mark
pthompson
mctrexler wrote: why are there two (PersonalBrain and TheBrain)?

The personalbrain.exe is there as a fallback; It's not recommend to ever actually launch TheBrain with that shortcut. Back when TheBrain first changed names, it caused a lot of confusion for those still using PersonalBrain along side TheBrain so the personalbrain.exe was added in the installation path as sort of an alias to thebrain.exe. We recommend always using thebrain.exe to launch TheBrain.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Darkstar
Installing the Beta for 9 wiped out the windows 10 information for TheBrain version 8. Uninstalling the Beta 9 does not fix this issue. Uninstalling Beta 9 and INSTALLING version 8 will re-educate Windows 10 about Version 8, so that it turns up on program searches and whatnot.

Just making a shortcut to Version 8 won't put back the install information that was lost when Beta 9 was installed.

I know this all from personal experience. However, I have now lost all ability to drag and drop into TheBrain version 8. It's all gone, and I'm not referring to known Microsoft Edge not working issue. Starting TheBrain version 8 in Admin mode did not fix this issue. From my long experience with TheBrain, the only solution is to uninstall 8, reboot the machine, install version 8 and pray. If that doesn't work, repeat the process from the uninstall step and repeat until it does. Sometimes it will never ever fix the issue, sometimes it does. I am hoping that support can give me a RELIABLE way to restore basic drag and drop, otherwise TheBrain has lost all utility for me and that would be very sad, since I've been a devout user since version 1. Yeah, version 1.
-Darkstar
pthompson
Darkstar,

It sounds like you may want to contact us directly at support@thebrain.com to work through this. TheBrain 8 and TheBrain 9 do not communicate with each other in any way so there must be some other confusion happening here that would most likely be better troubleshot via a web meeting.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software