shinyplastic
Hi All,

Must have done something wrong, Brain 8.0.2.2 on my work machine (Win 10 Pro 1607) is suddenly missing the hyperlink icon on all thoughts except ones with favicons.

These thoughts used to show a blank Firefox web page icon (still works at home both have Firefox 55.0.3 64-bit), and used to be OK on my work machine - now all the thoughts have no icon (and to launch a page you have to go to the Thought tab and click the webpage).

Interesting the Brain reports Java 1.7.0_80 when I definitely have 1.8.144 installed?

Have tried restarting / *support* Rebuild Icons / rebooting / re-installing - no change, any thoughts (or icons[smile])?

Or maybe it's just a hint I should move my production Brain to 9 [smile]
mcaton
Matthew,

I like the 'Brain 9 hint' theory!

Java does seem like a culprit in this scenario.  I'm additionally suspicious of having more than one version installed. If you have the time, you could delete all instances of Java and only install the latest, greatest. Here are some steps to guide you through this process:

Uninstall and Remove All Old Versions of Java

1. Close all applications running on your computer, including TheBrain.
  2. Uninstall Java via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Click on each version of Java you see in the list here and click the Uninstall button.
  3. Look in C:\Program Files (x86) for a Java folder. Delete this folder if found.
  4. Look in C:\Program Files for a Java folder. Delete this folder if found.
  5. Look in C:\Program Files\Common Files for an i4j_jre folder. Delete this folder if found.
  6. Look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files for an i4j_jre folder. Delete this folder if found.
  7. Attempt to run TheBrain. It should fail to start, with a message that says "No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from http://www.java.com"
  8. If TheBrain starts after deleting the other java instances and you have not yet re-installed from java.com, this means that there is still a version of Java installed somewhere on your system. Double check in the locations above and delete the Java folders. Contact us for help if you cannot locate and remove Java.

Download Java 8

1. Go to http://www.java.com and download the latest version of Java 8.
  2. The installer will download additional components then begin the install.
  3. After installing, a browser will open and prompt you to verify that the latest version has been successfully installed.

Start TheBrain

1. Open TheBrain again. It should start normally.
  2. Check Help > About TheBrain for the version of Java being used. The third line of text should read "J-1.8.0_xx."
  3. Success!
Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Matt
shinyplastic
Hi Matt,

Thanks, elminated Java 1.7 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

Confirmed Brain now using J-1.8.0_144, however no joy with the hyperlink icons [frown]

Will send you a direct support email.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software