rengel
Was it a deliberate design decision to leave off the OK and Cancel buttons in several dialog boxes (i.e. Preferences)?

Just hitting Esc or clicking the x-button in the upper-right corner doesn't tell me if my changes have been saved or will be cancelled.
Reinhard TB 9.0.263.0, WIN 10
metta
+1 for restoring the missing ok/cancel commands
tomcal123
+1
zenrain
No thanks, I don't know about preference windows on Windows, but I don't need to click OK to save preferences in other applications on macOS, I just make the changes and close the window.

I'd prefer not introducing an artificial step if changes are saved on making them.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
In Windows, we do have to click outside most dialogue boxes to get them to close -- so, for us, a click on an ok/cancel button not an extra "artificial" step.

In addition, in situations where we have a bug with the plex opening on a single click, an accidental click in the wrong spot can become quite a nuisance, with still more clicks needed to restore TB interface to its previous setting.
zenrain
I'm not sure how the second bug is pertinent to this as resolving the single click issue would stop that behavior.

Update: Now that I think about this more, it would require changing the preferences window so that state changes aren't saved on making the change, but only on clicking ok. This means if I accidentally click cancel, all my changes will be lost.  This is not normal design for preferences windows on macOS, although it does appear to be the case for Windows.

So we are dealing with two paradigms here (or expectations on behavior), Windows preference tables saving changes on clicking ok, and macOS where state changes are saved on selecting the option.

So, I would expect that TheBrain windows would follow the paradigm of the OS it's installed on. +1 for this change on Windows only. Although I'm guessing that would lead to more work when maintaining the different code bases and forks, so who knows... 😃
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
On Windows, the "Cancel" button would also be extremely helpful during the thought creation process in those instances where the user has begun entering text in the thought name, and then decides to abort the process.
> Currently we have to delete all the text we've entered before exiting the thought creation window.
> With a "Cancel" button, we could simply change our minds, click "Cancel" and be done with it -- without having to delete any of the thought name text that had already been entered.

Don't know how the cancel process works on the macOS.
zenrain
On macOS it is just press escape. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
Hooray! Escape works on Windows, too.

Thanks for the tip, ZenRain. ðŸ™‚

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software