miadonis
I'd like to mix visible and hidden ordering prefixes to outline a book.

Unfortunately, using this method, the outline does not retain its order.

Example:

",.0 Introduction; ,1. Chapter One; ,2. Chapter Two; ,.3 Conclusion"

Will display as: Introduction, Conclusion, 1. Chapter One, 2. Chapter Two

Is this a bug or normal behaviour?

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

metta
@miadonis ~

The problem appears to be with your hidden numbering. Specifically, the period is AFTER the 1 and the 2 (instead of before) in the aforementioned sequence.

Also, it is important to be aware of the fact that thought types have an impact on hidden numbering -- and the hidden numbering (unfortunately) displays DIFFERENTLY in the web client than it does in the desktop application:
> Desktop: Hidden numbers work within thought types
> Web clientHidden numbers work across thought types

In addition, you may want to know that:
> hidden numbers are currently VISIBLE on the "More" pin button and
> thoughts in the web client cannot be ordered by type, even if they ARE ordered by type in the desktop.

Hope this helps.
miadonis
Hi Metta,

Thanks for your reply. Personally I'm only concerned with the Desktop client as I don't use the Web client, but it's good to know the two clients behave differently.

I put the period (.) after the number on purpose so that the ordered list number is visible. 

To further explain, I'm trying to use hidden and visible prefixes at the same time in the hope that they would be ordered as a single list.

You see the "1." has meaning in my outline as it refers to the first chapter (the actual chapter name is not "Chapter One"); however, putting "1." before the introduction is not at all meaningful so I hide it, hence the ".0" prefix.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether or not TB10 for MacOS can create an ordered list that hides the list number of some thoughts while showing the list number of other thoughts within the same, ordered list/outline.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

miadonis
Mixing Hidden and Visible Ordering Prefixes.png 

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

metta
@miadonis ~

Should work if you use the hidden numbering consistently throughout ALL the thought names (chapters).

Try this and let us know if this produces the desired result:
.0 Introduction
.1 1. Chapter One
.2 2. Chapter Two
.3 Conclusion

Also, if you plan on having more than 9 chapters, my understanding is that (beyond #9) hidden and visible numbers will not display in the correct sequence, simply because TB reads hidden numbers like a computer, not like a human:
.0 Introduction
.1 1. Chapter One
.11 11. Chapter Eleven
.2 2. Chapter Two
.22 22. Chapter Twenty-Two

miadonis
Haha yeah the "beyond 9" problem is real! I tried it a while ago and ran straight into it 😅 

Besides, writing the numbers out that way sort of defeats the purpose of having the ordering prefix.

Don't you find it a bit strange that the app would first sort the Thoughts by what's essentially a visual display preference before sorting by numeric value?

What matters most is the actual list position itself and not whether the user has chosen to have it display or not.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

kiatlc

you can use two digit to beat the problem
.01 1.
.02 2.

.09 9.
.10 10.

miadonis
Thanks but I just tried that and had no success.

If anyone is up for it, feel free to have a look at the screenshot above and see if you can get the thought "Conclusion" to come after the thought "2. Chapter Two" using Outline View.

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

kiatlc
metta's way is the right way

.0 Introduction
.1 1. Chapter One
.2 2. Chapter Two
.3 Conclusion
miadonis
Aha! Ok that works. Thanks for clarifying 👍

I suppose the answer to my initial question then is the following: the above is normal behaviour and not a bug.

I originally thought that the prefix/ordering system worked more like a Word document, i.e. like toggling on/off a numbered list. 

What I now understand is that the hidden ordering prefix exists on its own as a special display feature. 

Still, I wish the app would treat the hidden and visible prefixes equally instead of grouping hidden prefixes separately. It would save me from having to type the list position twice which can be cumbersome when creating Thoughts on the fly.

Cheers 🍻 

Regards,
Matt

MacOS 10.14.1TB 10.0.29

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software