Jon
In versions 9 and 10, the default directories (storage, import and sync) can be changed, but not to anything exceeding 50 characters. I am in a research environment so this does not work for me at all. Because of this I have to continue using version 8. Can this limitation be removed or overcome?

Thank you.

Jon
Harlan
Due to the file length limitations that are part of the Windows file system, we enforce maximum path lengths for these locations. This ensures that incoming information via syncs will not exceed the 260 character limit of Windows.

in version 8 we did not have such enforcement in place and this can lead to errors and unreliable syncing.

Why do you need more than 50 characters for your working folders?

One possible way to work around this would be to use a mapped drive that points to another location. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Jon
Harlan wrote:
Why do you need more than 50 characters for your working folders?

One possible way to work around this would be to use a mapped drive that points to another location. 

1. This is just the way our system is set up. I am able to use versions 9 and 10 at home and am very happy with what you have done. Using it at work  would be appreciated.
  2. Yes, I tried mapping. It returns the same message about exceeding the character limit.
In defense of version 8, I have never encountered data loss. Not ignoring your warning, but it has been very good to date (but having said that, I know something will now happen 😁).
Jon
Harlan
The mapping should work. What path exactly are you trying to use?
Regards,
-Harlan
Jon
Not sure I understand you. I am mapping a location with far fewer than the character limit to one that is far greater then the character limit. It seems as if TheBrain detects the actual location because it reports the path is too long.

Jon
Harlan
"It seems as if TheBrain detects the actual location because it reports the path is too long." No, it does not do this. What path exactly are you trying to use?
Regards,
-Harlan
Jon
I am not at work now, but something like this:
D: /server42/building10/research/hipaa/dd/special projects/Jon/TheBrain/

Jon
Harlan
That looks like the path without mapping? What is the path you are trying to use when mapping a drive?
Regards,
-Harlan
Jon
C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OneDrive\TheBrain
I have also tried
C:\Users\Jon\Documents\TheBrain
mcaton
Jon,

Is C:\BrainDocs an option?

Thank you,
Matt
Jon
I will have to ask IT, but why would this work when the other paths did not? Both were under the 50 character limit.

Jon
Harlan
Not sure why those wouldn’t work but will investigate. You definitely should not put it into the onedrive folder as that will likely lead to data corruption.
Regards,
-Harlan
Jon
Just to keep you updated (and not to waste your time any further). Maintenance was performed on all servers and they required a reboot. Following this, all workstations were told to reboot. The problem I reported no longer exists.

Thank you for your help.

Jon
mcaton
Jon,

That's great news. Thanks for the update.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software