CaptainJustice
This is TB9 ver .234 on Windows.
  1. Can only move 1 file at a time. Should be able to
    1. CTRL-A to select all in the list and then
    2. Move all files as a selection group
  2. Normal Windows dialogue for file exploring is not used resulting in
    1. Have to right-click to get to "New" folder creation instead of the usual icon to do do.
    2. There is no navigation up icon
  3. Once you move a file and start to move another file, the location is not remembered. In my instance this requires 5 clicks on folders, then scroll to sub-folder, another click to select.
  4. Should also be able to drag and drop a link.

My application is to be moving files to an external drive for archive purposes. I want to MOVE, not copy.
--
The Cap'n
ratthing
Agree with The Cap'n.

Since switching over to V9, I have found myself using the Brain less.  I think that is because it isn't very "open", by that I mean there are not that many ways to connect to it, other than via the UI.  I have files and applications spread out across several workstations and mobile devices, and a few storage and app servers.  I'd find it a lot more useful if there was an API or scripting language I could use to create links between applications on my local machine as well as web-based applications.

Back to the Cap'ns point:  I'd like to see an "explorer view", where all thoughts that contain file attachments of any type are represented as folders, and opening the folder shows you just the files that are in there.  If an attachment-containing thought is the child of another thought, then it would be represented as a folder inside of another folder named for its parent.

The explorer view would look and behave just like the explorer in OSX or Windows, so that you can easily manipulate files en masse without having to navigate to each thought then selecting "Open thought folder in Finder...".

I think I understand why such a request might go against the basic philosophy of The Brain, since it pulls you out of the plex into the old world of files and folders.  But sometimes I need to go there. 
ratthing

@CaptainJustice, one thing I have started doing is simply keeping all my files in just a few huge-ass directories on my computer.  All the files are sync'd to other machines via Nextcloud or Box. 

Then I simply drag them into my plex whenever I need them in a thought, and they get represented as a link/shortcut to the file on my drive. 

Of course, you lose the context of the plex when you're exploring the files via Finder/Explorer.  But it helps me a bit to have my files available to be easily sync'd and available to other applications on other machines. 

zenrain
You can assign a keyboard shortcut in preferences to open the thought folder in Finder/Windows explorer. I use that whenever I need to “do” something with the files. 

There a several bugs that are still open around dragging and dropping files within TheBrain interface. If I remember correctly one involves respecting the preference we have set (it may be fixed by now), I think one is for the keyboard modifiers not being respected on drag-and drop (not fixed), and one involves not giving a duplicate message when moving attachments from one thought to another (also not fixed). They have been in existence for a long time, hopefully they will be addressed at some point soon.

I’m not sure how v9 is less “open” than v8, unless you are talking about virtual thoughts and folders. As far as I’m aware, the internal folders it creates and no availability of an api is the same. If there are specific things that you are missing, perhaps enter a new thread detailing them so they can be submitted as enhancements?
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
ratthing
@zenrain, yeah, it's the virtual thoughts/folders.  Also I think it's a side effect (for me) of losing the Linux client, but I am hopeful that the web client will help alleviate that particular problem. 

Thanks for the info on the open bugs!
CaptainJustice
ratthing wrote:
Agree with The Cap'n.

Since switching over to V9, I have found myself using the Brain less.  I think that is because it isn't very "open", by that I mean there are not that many ways to connect to it, other than via the UI.  I have files and applications spread out across several workstations and mobile devices, and a few storage and app servers.  I'd find it a lot more useful if there was an API or scripting language I could use to create links between applications on my local machine as well as web-based applications.

Back to the Cap'ns point:  I'd like to see an "explorer view", where all thoughts that contain file attachments of any type are represented as folders, and opening the folder shows you just the files that are in there.  If an attachment-containing thought is the child of another thought, then it would be represented as a folder inside of another folder named for its parent.

The explorer view would look and behave just like the explorer in OSX or Windows, so that you can easily manipulate files en masse without having to navigate to each thought then selecting "Open thought folder in Finder...".

I think I understand why such a request might go against the basic philosophy of The Brain, since it pulls you out of the plex into the old world of files and folders.  But sometimes I need to go there. 

Well, I find I'm beginning to use it more and that's after being hesitant at first to commit full on. I see your point, but the value I see in TB is the ability to have one point of contact with my data and the extreme navigability that the UI provides. I just want standard Windows explorer when that type of function is evoked.
--
The Cap'n
CaptainJustice
ratthing wrote:

@CaptainJustice, one thing I have started doing is simply keeping all my files in just a few huge-ass directories on my computer.  All the files are sync'd to other machines via Nextcloud or Box. 

Then I simply drag them into my plex whenever I need them in a thought, and they get represented as a link/shortcut to the file on my drive. 

Of course, you lose the context of the plex when you're exploring the files via Finder/Explorer.  But it helps me a bit to have my files available to be easily sync'd and available to other applications on other machines. 

Yes, using the linking is a good way to have it both ways:  native manipulation of files yet representation in context via linked files.
--
The Cap'n
mcaton
Cap,

Documenting your original post as a few different feature requests.
  • Moving/copying multiple files out of TheBrain
  • Navigation/option buttons
  • Remembering location
The drag and drop you mentioned is possible if you open the containing folder first.  Obviously you want to do this directly from the content window - correct?

Thank you,
Matt
CaptainJustice
mcaton wrote:
Cap,

• Remembering location
The drag and drop you mentioned is possible if you open the containing folder first.  Obviously you want to do this directly from the content window - correct?

Thank you,
Matt

Thanks. Yes, from the content window. Am aware of opening the folder first but you cannot do a link that way. Only move or copy.
--
The Cap'n
CaptainJustice
mcaton wrote:
Cap,

• Remembering location

Thank you,
Matt

Matt, wanting to make sure you noted that the problem, other than not being able to move more than one file at a time, is that on a move there is no link left in TB to the file now on an external location. In my case that is a USB SSD drive.  TB8 created such a link and that was a big advantage in doing the move from the plex instead of out of the containing folder.
--
The Cap'n
mcaton
Cap,

How are you moving the file?  If I right click on an internal attachment (in the list of attachments for a Thought) and select "Move File Out of Brain" - the attachment in my Brain is now a link to the location that I've selected.  Do you have a different process with different results?

Thanks,
Matt Caton
Harlan
I think he is referring to opening the Thought folder and moving the files from there, which will result in the attachments being disconnected from the Thought (which is the correct behavior).
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software