lunatrix
Hello all. Again I have a question I remember seeing addressed but cant find the answer to right now:

I know how to move attachments of individual thoughts into and out of brain (to store them internally or link to them externally).

I thought I had seen a method for moving internal files from multiple thoughts out as a batch (changing their links to to shortcuts).

I also thought I had seen a method for moving externally attached files in as a batch.

Are either of these possible (hope so!)? If not, what is the most efficient way to achieve it?

Thanks in advance
Luna
rhodes
Hi lunatrix

I don't recall seeing an answer to either of these problems and don't know that PersonalBrain offers any help here. However, from first principles if you're using Windows, you could, for example use Windows Explorer Search within all the subfolders of a particular Brain for all files named *.lnk (i.e., all shortcuts to files, which have the extension .lnk) then select them as one (ctrl-A) and move them outside that Brain to another folder. Or, if your attachments are all of the same extension, find them using Search, select all and create shortcuts to them all, maybe on your Desktop then moving them to other folders. Hope this helps.

(Added) I vaguely remember another application named ZtreePro which also permits this kind of action.

Alan Rhodes
lunatrix
Thanks Alan. The reason I thought I remembered it is I had it in mind that it was now safer to store files internally because you could always move them all back out again if you wanted to. But it seems all you can do is report all the files with internal attachments and move them out one by one. Same with linked attachments - it would be nice to be able to move them all into the brain as one action, but as far as I can see the only way is to report on linked attachments then deal with them one by one.
Oh well - bye for now!
Luna
rhodes
I agree. My preference is to store as few files as possible as internal attachments but make them all shortcuts to the actual files, which are stored in an adjacent folder away from the brain. They can still all be moved as one using a third party backup or synchronizer program. In the case of web brains, though, it might be better to store attachments internally - not speaking from experience here.

Alan Rhodes
sjeeke
Do you have any recommendations for a 3rd party backup synchronizer programme?

I am considering moving all my files out of PB to reduce it size from 30-40Gb to just 1-2Gb and look for some utilities to facilitate this tedious task...

Spacenexus

I think part of the solution might be to use the new export to folders function found under file/export.

http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=4669077

The ability to export to a single file isn't quite there yet but it would allow you to separate your internal files from the PB file structure to a certain degree if that's what you're looking for enabling easy *.* manipulation for that new folder group (although you might need to manually reassign the corresponding thought links to the external files.

I had made a request a while back for export to a single folder and repeated it here as a follow-on to the new export function: http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=4669077.

My suggestion is to lobby for the slight modification to the new export function by with the requested addition of an 'export to single folder' function. If i understand your issue correctly, that should solve that requirement completely saving you significant time and energy.

Moe, this is a very useful request and shouldn't require much additional engineering time since the export functions are already in place; this would just represent an additional option to single folder. Can you bump this up the pipe for Luna?

best

Jim

Click image for larger version - Name: Single_Folder_Export.jpg, Views: 396, Size: 13.93 KB
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
sjeeke
Spacenexus, thanks for your suggestions. I wasn't even aware about the new export to file option.

I would like to propose an additional enhancement:
export to file with the following option added:
- move files out of the brain and link thought to folder

This would export and move files out of the brain and creating a link from the thought back to the files and folders....

This would save me a hell of a lot of time and strip down the brain to its core, making it very suitable for syncing it with another instance because of its reduced size.

What do you think....
lunatrix
Aaah THAT'S what I was remembering! Yes it is a good feature, and does decrease my nervousness about having everything stored internally (what if one day I cant get into my brain for some reason?!).

However it would be much more useful if it did what I originally thought it would!

Currently it simply creates copies of files in folders named for the thought the file was attached to - leaving the brain itself as was. Basically a duplicate of the brain database but with human-friendly accessibility. Personally I have never really understood why the brains own database has to be so opaque to humans but no doubt there are good technical reasons for that.

What would be great would be for it (at least as an option) to create a folder or folder structure (according to preference) to hold the files, move the files out of the brain and create a link from each thought to its appropriate file.

I just find having all or most files inside the brain makes it too big to back up regularly and too slow to start (esp given I am on a Mac and there is no autohide and no way to close your brain without shutting down the whole program meaning you have to restart the program every time you want open your brain - pet peeve).

Plus it really is much more convenient to have the files easily accessible outside the brain. But linking to your normal folder structure means every time you move something the link breaks. 

So having recently moved all my files into my brain (laboriously by hand, rather than with a nice 'move all linked files into brain' command), I now find I want to try moving them out and storing them in a big 'in my brain' folder which I would access only through the brain and whose structure I would not change.

So to summarise - for me, ideally it would be nice to be able to batch move all attached files into the brain (for times when internal storage is wanted) and also batch move all internal files out keeping them as links. 

Strange as it may seem I would probably do this quite often and being able to do it would let me use my brain more than I do - which I would like to! It has so many good features but somehow there still always seem to be a few annoyances that make me leave it alone for extended periods.

Cheers
Luna
Spacenexus
Yes, definately a move files out of brain + maintain link files option makes sense.

Perhaps an additional option might be to export (with or without links to the brain) to folders where the folders automatically rename to the Thought Name rather than the DB folder ID. Now that would represent a fully seamless environment.

Sounds like the makings of a great feature definition.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
rhodes
Quote: Do you have any recommendations for a 3rd party backup synchronizer programme?

Sjeeke, I have been using
Super Flexible File Synchronizer which works well for me.
Alan Rhodes
lunatrix
Jim that is what the EXPORT function does. Try it - it is quite good. I think we are just looking for a little extra ... 
Spacenexus
Yes, I was referring to the suggested linked export mode, but for sure the export function already does this.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
lunatrix
I am liking what I see of PB6 very much. However so far there seems to be no indication that this issue has been addressed.
Is it possible to have the export function allow us to 'move all internal files out of brain' to have them end up in user-friendly folder system (as currently) BUT WITH LINKS TO THOUGHTS MAINTAINED? This would be absolutely awesome and seems like might not be a big development cost.

Also is it possible to have a batch command 'move all files attached to thoughts in selection into brain' and have each file end up as an internal attachment to its specified thought? 

This also seems like a small addition to the current one-by-one option but would be brilliant for my workflow where I tend to keep things as external attachments while I am still actively working on them (to avoid cluttering) and then make them internal when they are in a relatively stable condition or I will not be working on them for a while.

Am I the only one who would be totally thrilled with this?
Luna
HanBav
I support this idea
thanks for sharing.
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
rhodes

I'd say the real problem is that although PB enables us to attach files, or shortcuts to files, to thoughts, there's not much detailed discussion in the User Guide as to which is the better option and why. Hence users try one, then the other, and once their Brain is advanced, start wishing they could change from internal files to external files, or vice versa, then finding they have to move each file manually. If they were in a position to make the best choice from the start, this problem wouldn't have arisen. 

Being a bit biased, I believe one should attach as few files as possible to a Brain (i.e., as few internal files as possible), also put as little information and as few graphics as possible into Notes (not complete Web pages, for example), in order to make retrieval as fast as possible by keeping the brain small, and to avoid losing attached files as well, should some catastrophe happen to your Brain. So in Windows, for example, you could keep all your external files in C:\Brainfiles.

How to maintain thought links to externally stored files? Each thought has an internal ID for that particular Brain and is much shorter than the 32-character GUID. Include the ID somewhere in the name of the externally stored document file, e.g., 5028 myinfo.txt or myinfo 5028.txt. Then you know from which thought it comes. Leave the actual file in its external folder, create a shortcut to it and drag the shortcut onto the Thought. Don't worry, shortcuts don't stop PB from indexing a file.

To go from the thought to the file, click the attachment icon. To go from the file to the thought, type the ID from the filename (5028) into the Search edit box and press Enter. Now Extended search will locate its thought. Click the thought's name in Ext. search results to activate it.

(There's an even sneakier way to activate a Thought, given only its ID. This was first discovered and posted by jostber , to whom we owe a big thanks. However by v5.5.2.4 the undocumented hotkey had silently changed to Ctrl+Enter, and there's no guarantee it will even exist in later versions. Pity this can't be made an official accelerator.)

You just have to train yourself to remember to update the names of any attached files and replace their shortcuts in case you delete, then re-create the thought that owns them, which will have a new ID.

Alan Rhodes

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software