lunatrix
Very weird. No warning signs I can recall.
When I open the Brain, I used to get my brain opening right away (I only use one brain) or showing a panel where I could see a blue square with my brain name and open from there.
Now I just see the top menu, from which nothing can be accessed.
I've tried New Window but it has no effect.
Have quit and restarted TB9 numerous times, also the computer as a whole.
As far as I can see my Brains folder is still intact in its usual place under documents.
Should I reinstall TB9?
Hope someone can help!
~~~
TB9 latest version (had recently upgraded to 241 and am pretty sure it was working after that)
Mac OS 10.13.3
MBP 2016
metta
So sorry to hear this!

Have you recently installed any new software, or made any other changes to your computer?

Have you recently run any malware scans?

What anti-virus program are you using?
zenrain
Try logging out (if you are still logged in) and then logging back in. Or, if you aren’t logged in, this is normal. Just click the person icon in the very top right hand side (I think, not at the computer right now) and log in. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Harlan
I'd guess that you are logged out or logged in to a different account as zenrain guessed. Otherwise you would see a warning or error message if there was a problem with your HD or something.

Another possibility is that your brains folder was moved (possibly by the OS during an upgrade), but that usually produces error messages.

If those tips don't resolve it for you, please drop support an email (put "urgent" in the topic) and we will get in touch.
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of those things. Still have no idea what it was but it seems to be resolved.
I just installed 242 and noticed some strange short white vertical lines (about 1cm tall, very narrow) clustered at top left of my screen. When I hovered over them, expand arrows appeared and when I dragged out they were Brain windows, offering to let me open my brain! I opened my brain which seems to be intact (as far as I have seen so far).
One of the windows contained an error report - don't know when that was generated but wont send it now unless the problem returns.
Thanks for your concern 
lunatrix
spoke too soon - my brain is having serious problems! I will contact support.
metta
@lunatrix ~

Once this issue is resolved, I'd love to get an update on (1) what the issue was and (2) how it was addressed -- for future reference and brain protection -- if you have time.

Thanks,
Metta
Harlan
I haven't seen the support ticket from lunatrix myself but I do think I know what the "strange short white vertical lines" were. There was a bug in the macOS version which could sometimes cause TheBrain window to be resized down to almost nothing - looking like short vertical lines. This bug was fixed in the latest 9.0.244 release.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Very much appreciate the update, Harlan. Thanks.
advisors
Same here, my brains disappeared and I get an error at lauch:   Screenshot 2018-02-03 16.01.53.png 
Re-selecting my brains folder somehow helps,

Screenshot 2018-02-03 16.06.17.png

but I can't select/open my 2L brain (it appears grayed out):

Screenshot 2018-02-03 16.11.22.png 

This problem appeared with previous alpha build (9.0.242 ?).
(I'm on 9.0.244.0 now)
Harlan
Hi Roger,

The message indicates that your Brains are NOT in the folder Users/rk/Brains, so re-selecting that folder won't help. Prior versions of TheBrain would have defaulted to placing your Brains in Users/rk/Documents/Brains. The reason it was changed from here is that upgrading macOS sometimes "helpfully" moves everything into iCloud, sometimes deleting it from your computer in the process.

If macOS was recently upgraded, that would be my guess as to what happened and why TheBrain can no longer find your data. To fix this: Quit TB. Download your data from iCloud and put it into the Users/rk/Brains folder then restart TB. (There should be one or more folders inside the "Brains" folder named "U0x" which contain folders "B0x", one for each of your Brains).

Failing the above solution, based on your screenshot it looks like your Brain are synced to TheBrain Cloud, so you could just download them. If you use the auto-sync feature or are otherwise confident that the cloud has a complete backup, then this would be the easiest way to proceed. To do this: Quit TB. Go to Finder and press Cmd+G, then type "~/.TheBrain/v9/MetaDB". Rename the file there to TheBrainMeta.db.bak. Restart TB and login. (Sorry, your preferences will be lost as a result of this process.) Click on your Brains to download them. (They will be placed in Users/rk/Brains.)

I didn't see anything from you in support. Please email us so someone can help you directly if the above advice does not resolve it for you.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
Roger,

Please let me know your availability today and we can take a closer look in a web meeting. I'm confident that we can follow Harlan's steps above to have TheBrain recognize the correct data folder once again.

Thank you,
Matt
lunatrix
Thanks Metta - and other discussants. (I do not use my brain every day so it takes a while for me to get back here.)
What Harlan says sounds exactly right - the lines were miniature windows. Since they were nearly invisible I thought my brain had disappeared. Restarting just made another miniature line. Once I (accidentally) noticed what they were and expanded the windows I was able to restart with a big window and that seemed to fix it.
However, a few starts later, I had some other fault. Before I had a chance to investigate enough o send in a support ticket I noticed there was an update, which I installed and all seems to be working fine since then.
What Roger and Harlan are discussing seems very different to what I experienced.
Hope you can get it fixed soon!
Helen

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software