Meticular
TheBrain 9.0.240.0 Windows - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
2018-01-28 18:30:04
Origin: XWT Terminal: False
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ##.#T4x(BrainGraph ) in #5cN:line 833
at ##.#Vuw(BrainContext #3my, Boolean ) in #XcN:line 1984
at ##.#yfb(BrainViewControl ) in #2dN:line 669
at ##.#jcA(BrainTabContent ) in #KfN:line 188
at TheBrain.Desktop.MainWindow.#l0() in #neN:line 474
at #UWp.#4gq.#P0p.#l0() in #6dN:line 94
at ##.#VYq(#J1p #Df, Action ) in #ceN:line 433

At one point in the recent past I was just moving through my mind map and then it crashed all of a sudden. Since then I have not been able to open any one Brain file.
Just endless crashes. I must have logged 30 or 40 something of them.

As things are now. I can't use the desktop software. I tried reinstalling. Did not help.
The cloud version still functions.

Hope something can be done. I don't mind the random crash now and again, but this is fatal.

Kind Regards
zenrain
Email support, put URGENT in the title. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
If you need access immediately, you might try a full reset, but this will require you to re-download your brain databases, and will lose any customized settings (so better to wait for support). 
To do this close TheBrain.
Move the folder that contains your brain databases to a different location (so you can revert everything if you need). Note the original path so you can move it back if needed.

Then move C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\TheBrain\ folder also. It should contain folders called Thumbnails, Themes, Working. If there is a subfolder called v9 that contains these files, just move that (sorry, on macOS so I'm not 100% sure of this location and structure). Note the original path so you can move it back if needed. 

After moving these folders, re-open TheBrain. 
If it's still crashing, verify all those folders were moved. If they were, move them back to their original location and wait for support. 

If it does open, and you see just the web version thumbnail (has a little cloud in the lower right), click to re-download. Then when it's done, browse around to make sure everything is ok. If it is, do this for all your databases. Then re-set up your custom stuff (keyboard shortcuts). 

Really, the best thing to do is wait for support.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Meticular
Thanks for the quick reply. It's sunday. I will give the support team a break and wait for the morrow. I have a ticket open. If it happens again or isn't addressed in a timely fashion. I will try again with URGENT. If all fails, I will follow your subsequent advice and try to reset the whole thing. Thanks again.
metta
@Meticular ~

Just wondering: were you able to get this issue resolved last week -- and restore access to your brains?
Meticular
@metta

I did following zenrain's advice.

Honestly I did contact support and they did reply, but it took some time and I was getting impatient. The response I got from support was short and underwhelming. ( empty your clipboard and try to start up again. ) Well I did, I even went the extra mile of downloading an app that could show me what was on the clipboard. ( it was empty ). Of course it did not solve the problem.

Instead of going on into what would probably be an extensive back and forth that could take a long time to reach its conclusion. I just did what Zenrain advised and it worked like a charm. I got my main Brain / Plex cloud synced anyway. So I was back up in no time after that. Any customization I have to redo is a small price to pay for not being locked out of the desktop software.
metta
Thanks so much for the update, Meticular!

Very glad to know ZenRain's advice did the trick for you, and you were eventually able to get back in.....Whew!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software