Tommy
I'm in for the experimentation... 

The migration process from 4.2 to 4.3 database format took about 20 minutes, and I have a small brain   (~500 thoughts, ~700 links).  I remember that the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 took less than two minutes.  As it takes a lot of time, to improve the user experience during the conversion process, that would be nice to show a box with every conversion, and a progress bar for each item, with a check mark when completed.  Look at the image to see what I mean...

When I click thoughts to activate them and just 'browse', it's quicker with 4.3.0.1 than with any previous versions.   From 4.1 to 4.2, I did not see a big difference, but with 4.3, it's more obvious.

My "Notes" windows was detached from the other ones (properties, reports, etc), but after the upgrade, this window was integrated with the other ones.  It looks like the windows settings did not remains.

All characters with accents (french) in my Notes are converted to small squares (see image).    I'm not sure if that will be technically possible, but I wish that when you will fix it, the squares will be converted back to appropriate characters.

That's all for now...

Regards,

Tommy

Harlan
Tommy,

Once the foreign characters are corrupted, they cannot be retrieved. So, anyone who has these characters in their notes should not use 4.3 yet - go back to your previous version and wait to convert until this problem has been fixed.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Re: speed of conversion - anyone converting from 4.1 or 4.0 will convert much faster. Unfortunately the speed of conversion from 4.2 will be hard to get much better...
Regards,
-Harlan
dkpalmer

Interesting - I have 644 thoughts, 647 links, 500 file attachments and conversion from 4.2 to 4.3 took about less than 3 minutes. Could be the OS - Windows 2008 Server configured as a desktop with 4Gigs on a 2GHz laptop.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand Binary and those who don't.
Tommy
dkpalmer wrote:

Interesting - I have 644 thoughts, 647 links, 500 file attachments and conversion from 4.2 to 4.3 took about less than 3 minutes. Could be the OS - Windows 2008 Server configured as a desktop with 4Gigs on a 2GHz laptop.

For me, i'ts a workstation with WinXP Pro SP2, 768 Megs RAM, Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz...  From PB 4.2.1.5 to PB 4.3.0.1, Pro version.

I will try the conversion process at home tonight, to see if there is a difference...

Tommy
Harlan wrote: Tommy,

Once the foreign characters are corrupted, they cannot be retrieved. So, anyone who has these characters in their notes should not use 4.3 yet - go back to your previous version and wait to convert until this problem has been fixed.

Hi Harlan,

I will switch back to 4218, because I have a lot of notes with accented characters, but I would like to experiment 4.3 so as soon as this issue will be fixed, I will come back into the experimentation...

Regards,

Tommy

Harlan

Tommy wrote:
Hi Harlan,

I will switch back to 4218, because I have a lot of notes with accented characters, but I would like to experiment 4.3 so as soon as this issue will be fixed, I will come back into the experimentation...

Regards,

Tommy

We'll try and get this problem fixed for 4.3.0.2. Keep an eye out in this forum, thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software