metta
Several individuals have expressed an interest in learning more about how I use thought types after discovering that I have over 160 thought types in my megabrain:

MettaZetty_MegaBrainStats_031018.png 
In light of this, I've taken several screenshots of my thought types, and I'll see if I pull together some explanatory info this weekend to provide a bit more context for what you will be seeing when I share them.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about how I use thought types (or thought tags), or about how I organize and find information in my megabrain, please let me know, and I'll be sure to address these questions as well, when I share my screenshots.

Thanks.
Quote
ascetic
looks great ! 
Metta , can you show us some best parts of your Brain that you think?
also interested in your idea of information finding😋
thanks😉
Quote
metta
Thanks, ascetic. I'll definitely include some ideas on quickly finding information in a megabrain. This has been especially important for me since the deep search in my TB8 mysteriously stopped working several years ago -- and sometimes the instant search doesn't work quite as well as I'd like. (I do rebuild the instant search from time to time, though, and that does give it a bit of a boost.)

Fortunately, I've never run into a serious problem with not finding what I was looking for in TB8 -- and, in spite of the aforementioned (minor) difficulties, I still love TB8 and I use it for everything (both business and personal). I've also never had a problem with losing any data in TB8, so I've been trusting it completely ever since beginning to use TheBrain 5 years ago.

As for sharing some of the best parts of my megabrain, I'll have to give that some thought since my megabrain is private, and gardening is always an ongoing process. (This means there always some areas that could use a good clean-up!) ÃƒÆ’ƒÂ°Ã…¸Ëœâ€°

However, my guess is there might be a few sections of the brain I could share, or I could create a new sample section based on one of my brain templates, so I'll give this some thought to see what I can come up with.

In the meantime, please note that the information I'll be sharing is based on my current use of TB8, which is where my megabrain lives.

Once TB9 has more of the features I'm looking for, I will eventually see if I can successfully import my megabrain in TB9. In the meantime, though, I'm still in the process of testing (and debugging issues in) TB9 -- and I'm actually quite happy with the flexibility and reliability TB8 provides. (I also significantly prefer managing my thought types with the static window display available in the TB8.)

I hasten to add, though, that whatever principles I use in thought typing and information finding would apply equally well to brains in TB8 or TB9 -- or any earlier/older brain release that includes the custom thought type functionality.
Quote
metta
As things developed, sharing and explaining my thought types turned out to be a bit more involved than I had originally imagined -- so I created a mini-brain to share my screenshots and my hints & tips for storing and finding information in your megabrain.

If you have any questions (or if you find any typos) please let me know, and I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks again for your interest. ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸â„¢â€š
Metta
Quote
metta
As for sharing some of the better parts from my megabrain, that would be another task entirely. However, I'm open to considering how I might do this....if there's anything in particular you'd like to see?
Quote
tomcal123
Metta, 

Thank you!  I just started looking through your mini-brain and getting lots of ideas.
Quote
metta
I would also be interested in seeing other people's thought types, as well -- if there's more you'd care to share?
Quote
zenrain
Interesting, thanks for putting that together! I like your note types, I might look at applying those in my own database at some point.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Quote
metta
@tomcal123 ~ Thanks for your feedback!  I'm very glad if you're finding some ideas that may be helpful. Thanks so much for letting me know! 🙂

@zenrain ~ You are very welcome, Alex. I know you and I had talked about this a very long time ago, and I'm glad a window finally opened up where I could give this some thought. I'm happy too if the note types might be useful to you at some point, since I know you're one of the pros at doing brain stuff. 😉
Quote
Cerebrum
Wow! You did a great job of summarizing how you organize your Brain.

I like your idea of using ALL CAPS for Thought Types to identify them more easily when searching. I notice, though, that you still append "(TYPE)" to several of your "MANAGE TYPES".  
 
I also like your comments about Link Options and Redundancy Between Types, Tags & Links.

The Thought Types are a bit complicated, though ... ðŸ˜¦

BTW, I think that the use of Types would be simpler and easier if there were Visible Types.


Quote
metta

Thank you very much, Cerebrum, for your helpful and positive feedback! I very much appreciate you taking time to share specific thoughts about the megabrain info I shared.

You wrote:
I like your idea of using ALL CAPS for Thought Types to identify them more easily when searching. I notice, though, that you still append "(TYPE)" to several of your "MANAGE TYPES".  

Good eye! ;-) This is actually a vestige of a change in my naming convention for thoughts themselves.
> When I first started using TB years ago, I put many of my header/parent thoughts in ALL CAPS.
> I am gradually in the process now of weeding out all of the ALL CAPS thought names. But, until they are all gone, the (Type) designation is still quite helpful.
> Once I've finally removed ALL of the ALL CAPS thought name, then I'll probably remove the (Type) designation as well, since it will no longer be needed. However, it may be a while before I get there, since I have quite a few old thought names that still need to be edited, and many of them are in older areas of my brain that I rarely visit now.

As for my thought types being a bit complicated, you're right on this, too. What I've done is probably overkill for the vast majority of users. However, because I am on the extreme end of the visually-oriented spectrum, all the visual cues these thought types provide is extremely helpful for me -- and, although I didn't mention this anywhere in the mini-brain, having all these thought types does provide another great way of searching in my mega brain in as much as activating a specific thought type in the plex allows me to view another unique slice of my brain -- a slice that can often be very useful.

For example, I can bring up my "Web Logins" type and very quickly tell if there are any thoughts I forgot to make private. ;-)

Regarding "Visible Types", I do have one question:
>  Don't we already have this function as described in the link you shared? (Maybe I'm missing what it is that you are looking for?)
-- I activate thought types in the plex and link/unlink to them all the time.
-- In addition, thought types ARE also visible in the web client search.

In light of this, I recently requested the option of creating PRIVATE types and tags that I could use strictly for admin purposes. (They would be hidden from the web client search and the web client plex.) Having this optional privacy setting for SOME types and tags would still allow all the remaining types and tags to be available to use publicly in the web client in shared and public brains. For me, personally, this distinction in type/tag use would be very helpful.

Will be interested in any additional clarification you can provide regarding "visible types".

Quote
Cerebrum
From Harlan's post, in response to my post immediately before:
Quote:
FYI, in a future version we are planning on enabling people to link types in the plex like regular thoughts so they perform both of these functions at once. The unofficial name for this is "visible types".
Seems to me that a "visible type" would be based on a third type of link (besides Parent-Child and Jump) and would be visible whenever you activate a Thought of that Type. You could then click on the "visible type" and view other Thoughts of that Type. I think that this would simplify the structure and the navigation of a megabrain.
Quote:
However, because I am on the extreme end of the visually-oriented spectrum, all the visual cues these thought types provide is extremely helpful for me
You've mentioned this in other posts. Who (or what) measured you and determined that you are much more visually oriented than other people? In any case, when I said "complicated" I was referring to all the words/labels that you use to classify your thoughts.
Quote
metta

Thanks, Cerebrum, for clarifying re: visible types. I can see that your request might be helpful for some. However, I would prefer for type visibility in the plex to be an optional preference setting, since I like the fact that types are only visible now in the default type label and search.

You wrote: "Who (or what) measured you and determined that you are much more visually oriented than other people?"
> Over the years I've completed a wide variety of different learning style profiles, and the results consistently show that I am extremely visual with a low auditory preference.
> I am also keenly aware of these preferences because my son is the exact opposite, and this difference is dramatically reflected not only in the way we take in and process information, but also in our work styles.

You wrote: "In any case, when I said "complicated" I was referring to all the words/labels that you use to classify your thoughts."
> Thanks for clarifying what you meant. For me, the specific words/labels add clarity, not confusion -- which has been extremely helpful given the number of types I have.
> Also, the way my thought types are labeled has been driven by the fact that I want them to display in a specific order in the plex (see Featured Types for example) -- so devices like numbering and alphabetic sequencing and even word repetition all serve an intentional ordering/sequencing purpose.
> In addition, words or special characters that my seem extraneous at first are actually quite helpful in quickly filtering and bringing up the specific type I'm looking for in the instant activation search.

Quote
Cerebrum
I can imagine that the use of "visible types" would be different and ultimately simpler than the current use of Types.
Quote:
Over the years I've completed a wide variety of different learning style profiles, and the results consistently show that I am extremely visual with a low auditory preference.
Well, it's a good thing that TheBrain doesn't talk to you ... 😲
Quote
DrBop
Metta,

Thank you for both sharing your thorough organizing structures, and for being so explicit in explaining the underlying principles. I appreciate your generosity of spirit and time. A question related to a comment you made in this thread related to your shift away from using ALL CAPS to "help distinguish between thoughts and thought types in the instant activation search."

You say you are not doing this any more? Could you please say more about your decision?

Thank you again for sharing your helpful, so well presented approach.  I hope your example will inspire others to do the same.

Don
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software