leeirons
  • Problem:  I had linked a folder on my C drive to a thought in my Personal Brain file.  I decided I wanted to do things differently, but could not find a way to delete the thought that contained the folder link.  So, I unlinked the thought that contained the folder link.  Suddenly, I was in a new thought web that I had not created that contained the thought that I had unlinked.  As I navigated through this new web, I realized that is was a map of my C drive containing thoughts for all folders of my C drive with links to the folders, with the C-drive iteslf being the top parent.  All of the thoughts in this C-drive network are virtual thoughts.  This network also contains a thought called "Recent" that is jump linked with all of the C-drive folder thoughts that contain files that I have openned recently.  WHen I clicked on its folder link, it openned the "My Recent Documents" folder that Windows XP uses to provide shortcuts to all of the files that have been recently openned.
  • Version of PersonalBrain:  Free Trial Pro Edition, version 4.0.8.5
  • OS: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Sevice Pack 2
  • Java version: J-1.6.0_02

This has really slowed down the my personal brain file.  Please tell me how to undo this (delete this C drive network in my brain).  None of the C-drive network (all virtual thoughts) is linked to my original network, so I can't unlink it to cause it to be deleted.  The "unlink" function does not work anywhere in the C-drive network.

Harlan
Hello,

Virtual thoughts represent the data that is on your hard drive and therefore don't really exist inside your Brain. If you don't want to see those thoughts in your Brain, just don't click on them. The virtual thoughts that represent the folders and shortcuts on your hard drive are only calculated when you click on them. So, it's like that tree falling in the forest... If you don't look at them, they're quite literally not there.

If you want to disable virtual thoughts entirely, you can also do this of course through Options > Preference > Thoughts > Show virtual Thought for folders.

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
You should be able to link the virtual thought as the child of a normal thought, and then on the thought that you linked it to, delete the shortcut to the folder in Properties and Attachments.
Anytime you want to delete a virtual thought, you have to go to the parent to do so.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
leeirons
Thanks!

By the way, PersonalBrain does bog down the computer when the Show Virtual Thoughts for Folders preference is turned on and you have linked to a folder.  My computer was running VERY slow.  Now that I have this preference deselected, I have linked to a folder, and the computer has not slowed down a bit.  Could this be something that could be corrected in future versions?

Lee
Harlan
Hi Lee,

Unfortunately, virtual thoughts requires accessing the hard drive to find out what's connected. This is an inherently slower operation that normal thought lookup and depends of the underlying file system. As such, it is beyond our control. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Feint
Would it be possible to add the ability to block the traversal of certain links in a virtual thought? i.e. if I have a virtual thought directory as c:\stuff and I know I never want to navigate to c:\, can it be (or could it be in a future version) permanently blocked?
Feint
Ok, I seem to have figured it out. For some reason, it now no longer links up the directory tree, only down (which is the desired behavior)
If I select an existing thought, then drag and drop a folder from the windows explorer, in the empty in space around the thought, it gives the thought a new icon, and the dropped folder becomes a child virtual thought. Higher level folders are not visible..The only time the parent folders become visible (and searched) is if I explicitly hit the "+" button while in "Expanded" view.

Harlan
Parents of virtual thoughts will be displayed if you unlink the native thought that they were under formerly... It's a quirk of the way this is designed... You might also see this sort of behaviour if you have shortcut within a virtual thought to another folder...
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software