metta

Many users of TB9 have requested a super-simple note styling option (1) that does not include double-line spacing by default and (2) that provides more options for user-controlled note styling (fonts, font sizes, centering, tables, etc.)

Others have requested options for plain code editing and wiki-style mark-down editing.

Still others have requested cleaner HTML code in the notes, with the option of viewing and editing the HTML code itself.

On multiple occasions Harlan has responded and explained that accommodating these requests will not be easy to do, they will take some time, and they were not (at the time) a current priority.

In light of this, I was wondering if TB staff have considered the option of adding multiple note editors that could provide the various note styling functions that have been requested, rather than trying to create one note editor that can accommodate a wide variety of different note styles?

I hasten to add I understand that having multiple note editors might create its own design and maintenance challenges, and I would understand if multiple note editors might not be a good fit with TheBrain's current design philosophy and intent.

However, I know this kind of application design is not unprecedented. For example, RightNote provides each of the following note editing style options:

RightNote_MultipleNoteStyles.png 

At this (or some future) point in the development of TB9, I don't know if multiple note editors is anything TB staff would be willing to consider, but this would go a long way toward meeting the needs of a variety of different users (and use cases) without having to make difficult revisions to the existing note editor.

Just a thought I've been considering for some time now, and I will be interested in thoughts and feedback from users, staff and engineers.

CaptainJustice
+1
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 4, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Samsung 7Edge
ikel
+100 and plenty more
Xavier
+1
Xavier
MSI.nc
http://www.msi.nc
---
Windows 10
TheBrain 9.1.11.0 / TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Pro License
mcaton
We have all of these options documented as feature requests, but I like your menu for selecting an option within the app.  I'll add this to our documentation.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Thanks for confirming, Matt. Will look forward to future updates.
ikel
Thanks Matt!
metta
Looks like there would be interest in a note editor that would handle math/science formulas, as well:
> Scientific Text Input
> How to Enter Math Formulas into TheBrain
Beastro
YES!!
As I pointed out before, I think this is a very essential feature that should be given priority for simple economic/sales reasons. Like me, many in the scientific community have been looking for years for a mindmapping tool that is not purely business oriented but rather supports lateral thought, out of the box thinking AND scientific language. None of the mindmapping tools I have tried (quite many), cheap/expensive/simple/complicated, has met those requirements.

TheBrain meets most of them, but completely looses out on the part of symbolic entry. Even writing simple greek characters becomes a cumbersome issue, let alone formulas and functions. I know, there is the character map and you can use macro programs to assign keystrokes to special characters, but time is an asset and should not be wasted on those things.

In a nutshell: Providing an editor(s) that can handle symbolic language, programming code etc. would certainly boost your sales in the realm of science. It would make TheBrain the perfect tool for research and education.
An option would be to provide an interface for the biggest players in the science typesetting field like Mathematica, Mathlab etc.

For getting ideas, I would suggest to check out Mathematica at Wolfram.com and the different types of interfaces it uses to proliferate science and get in touch with them for ideas about how to connect both platforms.

Regards
Berthold/Spain
Win10/TB9
samuelludwig74
Beastro wrote:
YES!!
As I pointed out before, I think this is a very essential feature that should be given priority for simple economic/sales reasons. Like me, many in the scientific community have been looking for years for a mindmapping tool that is not purely business oriented but rather supports lateral thought, out of the box thinking AND scientific language. None of the mindmapping tools I have tried (quite many), cheap/expensive/simple/complicated, has met those requirements.

TheBrain meets most of them, but completely looses out on the part of symbolic entry. Even writing simple greek characters becomes a cumbersome issue, let alone formulas and functions. I know, there is the character map and you can use macro programs to assign keystrokes to special characters, but time is an asset and should not be wasted on those things.

In a nutshell: Providing an editor(s) that can handle symbolic language, programming code etc. would certainly boost your sales in the realm of science. It would make TheBrain the perfect tool for research and education.
An option would be to provide an interface for the biggest players in the science typesetting field like Mathematica, Mathlab etc.

For getting ideas, I would suggest to check out Mathematica at Wolfram.com and the different types of interfaces it uses to proliferate science and get in touch with them for ideas about how to connect both platforms.

Regards

All of this and more please! +1
LuizAlfredo
+1
L.A.G.M.
Kirby
+1.  Brand-new user.  This is an impediment that, since it is currently immobile, I am going to have to see if I can work around.
--Kirby.
elemmanuel
+1

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software