RichardB
I've been running TB9 for about 3 months now. Yesterday I upgraded to 9.0.240 under W10. Two comments:

1. Today I lost my Notes pane and couldn't get it back. I got Report View instead and try as I might it wouldn't go away. There was no way (that I could find, including unchecking Report under View) that I could get Notes to display. I changed the active thought several times, no go. Then I opened another brain (new tab) and it worked fine, just as expected. Re-opened the problem brain. Still no Notes. As a final try before calling Support I closed the tab for the problem brain. Then re-opened that brain on a new tab. Worked fine first time! Trouble is that the above is all from memory as I don't have any detailed record of how I caused the problem or what I tried exactly after discovering that Notes had gone missing. Sorry I can't be more specific.

2. I find I use 'Instant Activate' (is it still called that?) a great deal. This may be untypical, I don't know. But on V9 (inc before 240 and unlike V8 and earlier) when one clicks into the Search box and types something, what one types may -- or may not -- replace any text left there from the previous invocation of Inst Activate. It seems to depend upon where exactly in the Search box the cursor lands. Thus sometimes the new text replaces the old; sometimes it gets inserted into the middle of the old text and nothing is found.

This sounds utterly trivial, but actually it's a much bigger annoyance to me than the 'lost Notes' problem described above as it happens and happens and happens. I've been using TB all day every day since about version 4 or so. None of the versions I've had before 9 did this. Then, whatever you typed into the search box replaced anything already there Every time. No problem. Since 9 this is no longer true.

I would respectfully submit that this is a UI usability problem that does TB no favours at all. 

Right, whinge over! Apart from that I think V9 ids the best version yet. Many thanks!

Richard B
RichardB
Further to my post above:
1. My copy of V9 clearly identifies itself (now, 1/31/2018) as 'Version 9.0.240.0'
2. According to the Releases list elsewhere in Forums 240 was superseded by 241 on Jan 23rd.
3. 241 was itself superseded by 242 on Jan 29th.
4. I definitely upgraded my copy of V9 yesterday. At least I tried to.
5. Maybe the upgrade failed? Or could the Version number under Help, About not have updated properly?
6. To try to resolve this puzzle I'll try running Upgrade again tomorrow morning (European time) to see what happens.
Richard B
bmac
Richard - under Options/Preferences/System, make sure in the Updates area - 'Check for updates on channel', make sure that shows Alpha. If it shows Beta, then that is the reason your system is not updating. But, if it does show Alpha, then there is obviously something else happening preventing updates for your system.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
RichardB
Thanks bmac, I should have remembered that! The key thing is that you've resolved the confusion about which version of TB9 I was running when I found the behaviour described in my first post above -- it was definitely 240. 

My system is set to Beta and I have to leave it there as I run (what passes for) production work on it. Now that we know the problems were definitely present in 240 I hope that they will find their way in to the development group's work plans. 

Richard
zenrain
For losing the notes pane, try double clicking the plex next time. This maximizes the plex and hides the tools/notes pane. Double clicking the top of the tools/notes pane maximizes that. 

This can be disabled under Preferences > UI in the Other section.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
RichardB
Thanks, Zenrain. That's v helpful. Re the Instant Activate behaviour I noted, have you seen that in V9? 

Richard
zenrain
2. It should be unnecessary to click in the instant search bar to start your search. If your focus is in the plex and you are clicking around that, the cursor focus is always on the instant search box. The focus will only change when in the notes field. So basically, just start typing. 

If you are in the notes field, use cmd(ctrl)+s to get back to the instant search window. The Instant search prefills to the prior search when clicking so you have access to the last search. I only ever click that field if I want to recall the previous search. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
cross post. 😉
Basically tl;dr version of the last post is, just start typing, unless you are in the notes section, instant search will receive the input. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mcaton
Richard,

Good to know that you got your Notes pane back on screen. To follow up on the Lost Notes Pane, I suspect one of two possibilities.
  1. As Zen mentioned earlier: Click on Options > Preferences. On the UI Tab, there is an option for "Maximize on Double Click of Plex Background..." Meaning that if this box is checked, double clicking on the plex will hide your Notes. Double clicking again will bring them back. If this is not a behavior you want, you can uncheck this setting.
  2. There are 4 buttons on the splitter bar between the plex and notes.  Clicking on the arrow that points towards your Notes will minimize them.  There will still be a small arrow in the corner of the app to bring the Notes back on screen, but this may be hard to see and could have potentially been missed, depending on your plex wallpaper...

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software