NickMilner
Why not use the same virtual thought concept that linked-in folders uses for searches?

You could create a search thought which, once the search criteria has been specified, automatically generates a list of search results linked in as children - but the whole thing would just look like an ordinary thought with children.  You could then easily operate on the search results as you would any other thought.

Also, since the children are virtual, should you change something in one of the results such that it no longer satisfies the search criteria specified in the search thought it would automatically disappear.  You could also just use the standard thought sorting capabilities to further refine the search results.

Another advantage would be that you could have any number of searches persisted as ordinary thoughts within your brain - you would have the same effect as SQL views but in real-time!

Examples:

- A thought that lists all of your meetings.  When you create a new meeting linked in somewhere else in your brain (for example within a project), as soon as you specify that it has the type "Meeting" it would become a child of your "All Meetings" search thought without you having to link it.

- Your "Live Projects" thought that contains all of the projects you're currently working on would automatically update when you set the type of a completed project from "Live Project" to "Completed Project".

- etc.
zenrain
+1000.
I think this suggestion has been made before, and the more I think of ways to use it, the more freaking powerful I think this feature would be.

An example would be you could use it to automatically group tags, or any thought types with a label of current. This would negate the need for a GTD thought of next (current, or whatever your verbiage of choice would be).
You could also search on dates, and see items created, or modified to do fast pruning.
You could also create a search for web pages you use frequently using a frequent and web tag. This would be the equivalent of smart bookmarks.
I could list many more. I think this feature alone would go a long way towards making your brain smarter, useful, and powerful.
If you have heard of TinderBox, this would come very close to it's use of "Agents", which crawl your data and group things based on criteria you set.

Of course, we would have to be very careful. Next thing you know your brain becomes self aware, and boom, you have John Conner trying to kill you.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
NickMilner
So long as he brings his hot mum and "tin-miss" along, I'd be ok with that.
twospoons

Another great idea.  This would save me a lot of time manually linking thoughts to high level group thoughts just to make it easier to find things, like tasks, meetings, notes, etc. 

Wes
jostber
Brilliant idea, this should be very useful.

It could be fine to have an option to save these searches too.
TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

NickMilner
There's no need to save it.  The search looks just like another thought in your plex and it'll remain until you forget it.
zenrain

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Spacenexus
Great idea Nick! Internalising and automating the ESP principles could also go a long way to realising this feature quickly.

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
mbaas
Another 1000+ from me
twospoons

I just discovered of another use for this type of search thought.  I need a quick way to show all events scheduled to occur with the next week or next month.  It would be extremely helpful to have a way of dynamically populating children of a 'search thought' with all events within the next X days.

Wes
Axla
This type of thought already exists, but only in BrainEKP. It is called "Thoughtseeker".

I've commented on this topic some time ago, to which Harlan mentioned Thoughtseeker-thought.

Maybe there will be Thoughtseekers in V5!?
iceheartx
just adding another "I love this idea"

I use the brain as a repository of all my software. each piece of software is tagged with a class and I have another thought branch that is installation instructions. In the installation instructions I say things like "install all hardware drivers"

currently every time I create a thought that is a hardware driver I have to set thethought type (hardware driver) then link it to the instruction "install all drivers"

if the "install all drivers" had a link to a "thought seeker" for all thoughts of type "driver" that'd save me huge amounts of time.

----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
paulgonzalez

Any update on this feature request?  Thanks!

zenrain
The request is to allow saved search functionality and tying it to a thought.
For example, you run a report all the time for a Type of "SomeType" and some words in the notes. You save that as a smart thought, and it displays the search results on the plex. Much like a tag does now, all the thoughts that fit in the search criteria would appear as the thought children.
Every time you activate that "smart thought", it re-runs the query and displays the thoughts it finds as children.

This would be an additional feature of the plex and searching functions, tying them together, and making them more dynamic.
I would use this every day and it would make quite a few thought structures redundant.

I'm not sure what automation and keybindings have to do with this so I'll just leave the rest of your post alone.

Edit: Implementing this feature may allow you to no longer keep a report open as you posted here: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3439755
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
paulgonzalez
to dyslucksia:

___

Indeed, if my purpose is to check for open items (ie., tagged "open") of a specific thought type (action) under a specific contect (tag = phone calls), then surely, I'll be using this search term very frequently and woudl be thrilled if I had a particular set of saved terms to search throughout the day -- let's say, "Computer.  Find me all Contacts with previous Orders that I have not contacted in the last 30 days...").  Working.

I think that all these concerns stem from one same need:  The need (or solution?) to use the baseline graphical PB interface for all these other functions.  Granted, notes are notes, but why isn't a report a collection of thoughts, or a search a collection of thoughts -- and thus presented in the "natural" thought-bubble architecture that PB presents?  I see PB as the operating system above which these other functions can evolve.  My main issue is that of "saved searches" and as such, why couldn't they be saved as thoughts?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software