mwassens
Recently Matt Caton stated the following: "but there is no sign of a PB7 being released any time in the near future." 19 juli 2011
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1269436950&postcount=3
how come there is à new version availeble. What About the upgrade fee if you recently, say past 6 months, bought pb6 pro.
/\/\/\/
jroeterd
There is a new Beta version available ... it can take many months before a full release is released ;-)
mcaton
The Beta became available much earlier than I had anticipated.  Much more testing to go before it is an official release and we will post pricing and upgrade options as soon as they become available.

Thank you,
Matt
mcaton
mwassons,

I have been informed that anyone who had purchased PB Pro after May 1, 2011 will receive a free upgrade to PB7.

Thank you,
Matt
mwassens
Well thats to bad for me I purchased first week of april 2011.
Thanks for the fast response.
/\/\/\/
anonymous
I'm posting this here as the title is relevant even if the topic is somewhat different. 

I just downloaded the latest beta and I am LOVING the links.  I wasn't going to download it because I didn't see anything I was interested in but figured I'd see what the curved links look like.  And wow, they really do help me see the relationship between nodes.  Selecting one node and seeing the links extending from it, as well as the nodes it is connected to, is one of those things that you realize you need after you see it for the first time.  lol    And the text labels on the links?  Delightful.

I'm happy with the update so far and have just begun exploring.  (and yes I backed up my data first)

Well done, folks, well done.  /cheer

ShelleyHayduk

The unidirectional links in TB7 are really helpful for large brains and more context driven linking. The curved links give the UI a more organic feel. Glad you like

Shelley
tonja
Will be a cross-brain-search available in PB7?
(Over more than one brain)

Greetings,

tonja
If someone likes to vote for the cross-brain-search here is the link:

Greetings,

Whalehead
I don't get it.  I bought a product with the expectation that I would get significant upgrades to address product deficiencies.  There have been a series of minor bug fixes - represented in the versioning of 6.0.7.7... but no new real functionality -  a 6.1 (or 2 or 3) release with functionality that's been requested in the forums (like link tags or two way links).  But to beta release version 7 prior to addressing functionality for your PAID customers is extremely disappointing.  I don't know when I purchased my version 6 to know whether I'm in the the magic "free upgrade" window, but I can tell you I had hoped to get more than minor bug fixes for my paid license.  I guess I get it - curvy lines are going to cost me upgrade $$ - but I certainly don't see justification for an x.0 release in the "new features" list. May need to rethink my go-ahead product for mind mapping.
Spacenexus
Personally I understand where you're coming from in the context of mass market freemium models for software disutribution. However, I think it's fair to say that at any time the Brain software has very few major deficiencies beyond optimizations of performance and usability feedback, even if perhaps these take time to trickle through to a release - but this isn't any different from other software houses. The expectation that significant new functionality, as defined by any individual user, should be automatically included in a release has less to do with realistic software development and more to do with our desire for persistent upgrades of functionality within a single payment. You are also paying for well over a decade of development and refinement that makes v6 a fully capable standalone environment. Version7 becoming available with new features doesn't make your v6 any less valid should you choose to hold at that version without wanting to pay any more.

We can't underestimate the development of a piece of software that can integrate all content types and data relationships beyond anything the competition has to offer. By all means choose the best tool for the job, but let's make sure we appreciate that the company is justified in receiving fair compensation for continuing development of TheBrain software.

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Whalehead
@Spacenexus - I certainly support this software development company attempting to attract new users through competitive feature sets... this revenue is what powers new development and I wish them the best.  What I do take exception to is deciding to release this functionality in a v7 branding nature (every new customer wants a new version; marketing, I get it) that specifically excludes the current paying customers from benefiting without forking over additional $$.  I don't mind paying for a x.0 upgrade - but when my I paid for my license, I was promised "free upgrades until the next x.0 release"... what we received were bug fixes in a x.0.x.x versioning scheme.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the bug fixes - and it is what I paid for and expected in my v6 license.  But I also expected - based on TheBrain's comments - that I would get "upgrades."  To me, upgrades are new features, not things repaired to work like they were supposed to when I bought the product.  A few upgrade releases for the duration of the 6.x lifecycle... maybe quarterly, twice per year maybe... I don't know - but now that v7 is in beta - this will definitely not happen.  

And to suggest that I demand my personal list of enhancements or I'm not going to be happy - from the poor software development company who is just trying to sell product... is silly.

I agree with your assertions on v6.  It is a good, stable product.  But not what it needs to be.  Now I understand I'm going to have to pay $250 per cycle to wait for the product to evolve (or maybe I'll be allowed to pay $100 per cycle as an upgrade).  I'm not so much complaining about the $$ as I am the upgrades... waiting up to two years for any real increase in functionality - waiting merely to brand and create the right upgrade-income model just doesn't work.  Give me a $xx/year subscription and let the updates roll... and call the version numbers whatever you want but don't make your paid licensees wait for the darn upgrades.

I just love new flashy lights, whizbangs, and whirlygigs.  Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I appreciate your point of view.

-Russ
Tracy
Hi Whalehead,
First, thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share  it with our Development team. The good news is that I think you'll be very pleased with our upcoming version 7 pricing options. You will be able to receive a substantial discount on an upgrade from version 6. We will also be offering a Service Plan option which will allow you to always have your upgrades included for Free. It sounds like this could be a very appealing option for you. We haven't officially announced our version 7 pricing, but we are planning to very soon. We will make an official announcement on our forums very soon. Thanks again, Tracy
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies
Whalehead
Tracy,
Looking forward to it.  I also appreciate that you monitor and respond to these forums.  That's a BIG plus over some of your competitors.   Exciting times... just impatient
Peter93
mcaton wrote:
mwassons,

I have been informed that anyone who had purchased PB Pro after May 1, 2011 will receive a free upgrade to PB7.

Thank you,
Matt

Hi Matt,

does that also apply to Core users? I'm thinking about buying a PB 6 Core update from version 5 Core and it would be great to have the 7 Core also included. (edit: or is there a 7 Core version at all and if not, will there be a special upgrade discount to version 6 Core users?)

Greetings from Germany,
Peter

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software