francus
There is no cursor in the search box of the last version of Brain 6, even after clicking on it. So it is impossible to enter text into the search box and search anything.

This was an old problem I had with Brain 4. But there was a work-around, clicking on notes and writing something on notes, then gave me the power to enter text into the search box. This worked also with the earlier version of Brain 6. But now, with the last version of Brain 6 not even this work-around works. So it is just impossible to search anything.

I also tried to rebuild database, rebuild instant activation index, rebuild search index, rebuild icon cache. But nothing worked.

In the years I changed notebooks, but this problem always followed me.

Best
jostber
Can you also try to upgrade your Java version?
TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

jbennett
Francus, 

Does this issue occur in all of your brains, or just one?

James
francus
I have a Fedora 17 system, suppose have the last java available.

Also, as I wrote, it is a problem that dates back to the times of thebrain 4. So I passed through a lot of java versions and computers and the problem only got worse.

Also I am a bit annoyed. I wrote about this problem in the forum first time on March 2009 "cannot enter text in search window". This is something very basic. I am not asking bells and whistles. I am able to run all java programs.  So why am I having basic problems with thebrain for years? If they do not want to really support Linux it is enough to tell it.

For James, I have two brains and it is the same for both

francus
java is 1.7.0_03
jostber
If you create a new brain and call it Testbrain f.ex. and create a couple of thoughts in this, do you have the same problem with search?

francus
I am unable to create a new brain, i reach the stage to open the new brain window, where I am supposed to write the new brain name, but again I cannot write the name because the cursor does not appear where it should appear, clicking on it and if I write without the cursor, nothing happens.

Are there other ways to open a new brain, without having to write a name in a brain window?

If no other way is possible, perhaps you may send me a new brain file as an attachment, and I'll be able to open it.

Best

pthompson
francus,

Can you try downloading and opening any of our application Brains available here: (http://www.thebrain.com/support/apps)
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
francus
Pthompson,
thanks for the interest.

I downloaded it from your link. It asked me to update the database which probably was from an earlier version of thebrain, it asked to  update the search index too, but in the end it is just the same: it is impossible to write anything in the windows. Neither search window, nor notes.

Best
pthompson
francus,

What version of Java are you using? Please visit java.com/download and make sure you have the latest version of Java installed on your system. If you are still having trouble after trying this, please let us know.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
francus
Version is java is 1.7.0_03 and it is fairly new

I always got problems downloading java from oracle

Perhaps there is no solution.

As I wrote above it is not a new problem, but it is various years old. With lots of java versions. It only gets worse with time.
francus
Now I have java 1.7.0_05 which is just the last version. But as usual it does not work, because the problem in not Java, problem is thebrain, that is sold as working, but it does not work. It is not cheap software, but the same it does not work.

Now I need some information that is lost in a thought, but cannot find it because the search does not work.

Any idea of a possible work around?

jostber
Could you attach/post your output.log here?

pthompson
francus,

Are you using PersonalBrain 6? If you are, please navigate to:

(Options > Preferences > General) and make sure 'Tablet-compatible Edit Boxes' is un-checked. Make sure to click Ok to save the changes and let us know if you are still having trouble after this.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
francus
Jostber
sorry but do not know where the log is. May you tell?

Patrick
Yes PB 6, but options /preference/general  only has 4 items
check updates
warn old java
save images
show memory

Nothing regarding Tablet-compatible

However, regarding the Tablet issue I have to report that this laptop is a Toshiba m780 and has some tablet features using windows. I am not using it as a tablet really since the tablet features are poorly supported under linux. So it should not be relevant. But, since you mention the tablet issue I wanted to note it.

Anyway thanks for trying to help me

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software