singlark

Despite the myriad of changes in TheBrain over the years, there's still a hankering in me for simplicity.

I believe 3.03 was the last Windows based version before TheBrain Technologies decided to switch to Java. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now with the latest iteration of TheBrain 9.0, TheBrain Technologies has returned to its roots. I am sorely tempted to upgrade, but am going to see if I am hindered by the simplicity of PersonalBrain 3.03. I do not require cloud storage.

I am running PB 3.03 in Windows 10, 64 bit version.

1. Installed in the root directory ( C:\ ) in its own folder. Installing in either the Program Files
directory or in the Program Files (x86) directory caused problems with functionality.

2. I am not running it in either compatibility mode or as an administrator. Running it as an administrator or in compatibility mode didn't allow me to drop web links into it.

3. It is necessary for me to have Internet Explorer (version 11) open in order for web links to work. If IE is open and I click on a web link thought in PB, then the page is opened.

4. If IE is not open, clicking on a web link thought will not open any browser. Even if I set IE as my default browser, the links will not open it. Again, though, if the browser is open, the links in PB will work. I can even select a web link thought in PB and use the spider web page feature.

With the Windows platform, PB 3.03 was and still is speedy. Yes, I can see the hundreds and thousands of improvements that have been made since the early days. I do have the demo/free version of TheBrain version 9 and am continuing to test it. I think, though, that it's definitely cool that the early version, a solid piece of software still works. Kudos to Harlan and the original team.

ruudhein
I love that approach [smile]

I don't remember where I started/tested. 2? 3? Really started using PB around version 6 though.

MInd sharing a screenshot?
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.0.263.0
singlark
PB_3_03_screenshot 2.jpg 
ruudhein
Love it! Thanks for sharing!
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.0.263.0
zenrain
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Can't say I miss the straight line links though.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Harlan
Pretty cool. 😉

Yes, version 3 was the last release from generation 1 of the codebase (C++). I’m truly impressed that it is still working for you.

Versions 4 through 8 were generation 2 (Java) and introduced support for multiple platforms and sync. 

Version 9 is generation 3 (C#) and brings native code on every platform plus, a redesigned UI, and superior backend storage.
Regards,
-Harlan
MattDMich
Harlan wrote:
Pretty cool. 😉

Yes, version 3 was the last release from generation 1 of the codebase (C++). I’m truly impressed that it is still working for you.

Versions 4 through 8 were generation 2 (Java) and introduced support for multiple platforms and sync. 

Version 9 is generation 3 (C#) and brings native code on every platform plus, a redesigned UI, and superior backend storage.

Hi Harlan,

I believe questions like this have been asked before, but I wanted to ask it all the same. With TheBrain 9 utilizing C#, what is TheBrain 9 using to achieve the native cross-platform functionality & UI/UX? The Mono framework or .NET Core are the only really acceptable professional models that come to mind. If it is based off of .NET Core then I would be really impressed, considering that framework is still, quite arguably, in its infancy stages for various reasons. Thus, I am thinking Mono is being utilized for TheBrain 9 (but I cannot say for sure).

Then I would think, perhaps, Xamarin.Forms is being utilized for the mobile applications (iOS & Android, I think TheBrain comes on Android...not sure, I only have an iPhone). I have not used Xamarin.Forms beyond a few simple demos for some personal projects, but I know it is much more promising than the alternatives (i.e. maintaining separate codebases in the mobile platforms' native languages (e.g. Swift/Objective-C and Java)) and makes cross-platform mobile development much more efficient and effective. However, does that play well with Mono (assuming that is what is being used)? I have not used Mono at all (that probably goes without saying).

Of course, the alternative is also possible (if not extraordinarily unfeasible and impractical for most companies outside of the big 3 technology companies (i.e. Apple, Microsoft, and Google))...TheBrain built their own complete UI Kit(s) for cross-platform native applications on all platforms (desktop and mobile)?

I would be interested if you could elaborate on some of these conjectures and thoughts (no pun intended) Harlan. Just for professional curiosity as the cross-platform aspect of TheBrain is largely what attracted me to it (and David Allen).

Thanks,
Matt M.
Harlan
Hi Matt,

You sound like you know your way around the development world. We are hiring engineers now. Please send us a resume. It's beautiful here in Los Angeles and we even cover moving costs for the right candidate... Oh, and we love hiring mid-westerners. 😉
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software