amurray
Hi - 

I have a pro account and am logged in to cloud services BUT my desktop brain 8 (latest version) shows "Free Version" when I select "About"

when I choose upgrade and try to log in from the popup window, it doesn't let me log in

I can log in to my cloud services account from a web browser with no problem, but can't log in from the desktop client

any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Art Murray
Applied Knowledge Sciences, Inc.
pthompson
The following steps will resolve this issue. Older versions of Java are not able to use the newer HTTPS certificates. Updating to Java 8 will resolve this. Unfortunately sometimes preventing older versions of Java from running is not straight forward and thus we have created the following step-by-step process.

Uninstall and Remove All Old Versions of Java

1. Close all applications running on your computer, including TheBrain.
2. Uninstall Java via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Click on each version of Java you see in the list here and click the Uninstall button.
3. Look in C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) for a Java folder. Delete these folders if found.
4. Look in C:\Program Files\Common Files & C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files for a i4j_jre folder. Delete these folders if found.
5. Attempt to run TheBrain. It should fail to start, with a message that says "No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from http://www.java.com"
6. If TheBrain starts, this means that there is still a version of Java installed somewhere on your system. Look in the locations above and delete the Java folders. Contact us for help if you cannot locate and remove Java.

Download Java 8

1. Go to http://www.java.com and download the latest version of Java 8 (update 111 as of this writing).
2. The installer will download additional components then begin the install.
3. After installing, a browser will open and prompt you to verify that the latest version has been successfully installed.

Start TheBrain

1. Open TheBrain again. It should start normally.
2. Check Help > About TheBrain for the version of Java being used. The third line of text should read "J-1.8.0_111."
3. Success!
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
amurray
Thanks, Patrick, you nailed it!

Java 8 - 111 was the only version shown in the program files, but there were a lot of other extraneous folders so I deleted everything and re-installed per your above instructions

then when I launched theBrain - Help - About ... it showed Pro, without my even having to re-register

life is good...thanks! 
Art Murray
Applied Knowledge Sciences, Inc.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software