SamCox
<rant>

Even though PB's Notes Editor is, by far, my biggest beef with the product, I won't waste time listing all that bugs me. I have read other complaints and how some of you link to external notes (e.g., Evernote). I do that, too, occasionally.

But today, this thing is really -- I mean, really! -- annoying me.

From another application, I pasted the following in the Notes window:

Quote:
<pre>
(set 'year (mul 24 365.25)) ;hours
(set 'spikes (* 4 32)) ;spikes per system (max.)
;; source: Patrick Hartzler
(set 'FIT-plastic 89.39)
(set 'FIT-ceramic 37)
;; MTBF years (system)
(div 1e9 spikes FIT-ceramic year) ;;--&#62; 24.1
(div 1e9 spikes FIT-plastic year) ;;--&#62; 10.0
;; MTBF years (single spike)
(div 1e9 1 FIT-ceramic year) ;;--&#62; 3083.16<br />
(div 1e9 1 FIT-plastic year) ;;--&#62; 1276.17
</pre>

In "Design" view, I added some blank lines, but when I moved the cursor with my arrow keys, some -- not all -- of the blank lines disappeared. So I switched to "HTML" view and put in some blank lines, and things looked good.

When I returned to the thought and notes later, the blank lines were gone -- not just in the displayed view but also from the HTML view, which means that the Notes Editor is messing with my stuff behind my back.

Unacceptable! Don't do that!

Now, I understand this is an HTML thing -- probably -- and that PB needs an HTML editor PB can export HTML files. But other HTML editors don't mess with "my stuff" (e.g.,  Blocknote which is Evernote 2.2's underlying editor), and I don't want to be an "HTML guy" just to be able to record useful notes.

I also understand that PB's editor is 3rd party with versions that run on all platforms, but I don't care about that.

Quote:
Professor Theodore Levitt famously told his Harvard Business School students: "People don't want quarter-inch drills. They want quarter-inch holes."

Similarly, I don't want (read: care about) a cross-platform HTML editor -- I want to record notes, and I don't ever want to have to fight with the editor.

How about letting me link my editor of choice?

</rant>

-- Sam
zenrain
Ugh.
I'm not sure if this behavior is new with the latest version, I could have sworn <pre> retained spaces.

Until it's resolved, use <br /> within the <pre> code to force blank lines.

However, this is not how the <pre> tag should work, and should be reported as a bug to the vendor.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Darkstar
SamCox, that's why I gave up on Notes year ago. Too much mucking around required.

I really hope TheBrain looks into makes Notes useful in the future. And I mean, something that doesn't screw around with what you put into it, doesn't lose data, doesn't require you to spend 10 minutes formating text you've copied from elsewhere because it's got a different idea about how RTF or HTML text should look like then more standard applications that handle that data formats, etc. Not to mention how Notes are still a dead end... no real linking to thoughts or other things.
-Darkstar
SamCox
With this PB-generated HTML,
Quote:

<p>See Mindmap</p>

<ol>
<li>Tickets -- Shelley has copies of all eTickets</li>

<li>Cash</li>

<li>Tanning</li>

<li>Camera and related</li>

<li>Computer -- ?</li>

<li>Stereo -- Zune, headphones, speakers, accessories</li>

<li>Preparation Party</li>

<li>Video Camera -- waterproof</li>

<li>Loose weight, get in shape</li>

<li>Clothes, swimming suits, ..., PACK</li>

<li>Sudoku puzzles</li>

<li>Hat -- need a hat</li>

<li>Sunscreen</li>

<li>Sunglasses</li>

<li>Sandals</li>

<li>Snorkle Gear</li>
</ol>

<p>2009-01-06</p>

<p>Can I use UAL coupons to upgrade my tickets and Shelley's? If so, how many 500-mile coupons do I need. I'll guess 2000 miles per flight therefore 4 500-mile coupons per flight, 8 coupons both ways, and 16 coupons for the both of us. This doesn't count the short RJ legs of the trip.</p>

<p>&#160;</p>

the Notes panel displays the attached. (I added the arrow.) I'm guessing this is not a feature.
-- Sam
Click image for larger version - Name: 2009-02-14_132339.jpg, Views: 449, Size: 72.77 KB
SamCox
Another Notes Editor related issue is that when I highlight can copy text from the Notes Editor and paste it in a new Outlook email, the font comes across as Times New Roman even though it is Arial in PB's Note Edtior. I am running Windows XP and PB 5.0.2.4. I have not altered notes.css.

-- Sam

Harlan
FYI, we're starting to work more closely with the vendor for Notes, so we'll work on getting more of these types of issues resolved. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
HanBav
I saw the same overlapping lines.
But did not look into HTML Code

In general this editor is one of the big disadvantages of brain.

The bug of not copying content to various editors at all is hitting me every day.

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
bfisher
I just started using Jarta, but I too like it.  Fast, easy and quite functional.  Would be a huge improvement...
HanBav
The tip about Jarte is the tip of the month for me - thank you!
The "hot connect" already seems to cure some of the pain with the built in editor.
This feature alone makes it worthwile to give it try.
I will check out if it can handle more than one "instance" of Notes Editor. Maybe there is a way to have open more than one note at a time?

SamCox
Good afternoon, everyone.

I know this note will be unwelcome to (almost) all other active members of this forum, but please, Harlan, DO NOT RELEASE PB 5.1 until the notes editor is replaced with something usable.

PB is great, or, to be precise, has great potential, but links, attachments, tags, and thought types are not enough. I need a complete solution with a good if not great editor. I have no use for an HTML-aware editor that tweaks content behind my back.

In a post earlier in this very thread, I suggested being able to link to an editor of my choosing. (Ideally, links to editors could be on a per-note / per-thought basis.) If this isn't possible, then add another "text-only" editor tool panel I can use instead of this "thing" that is doing it's best to lose my business.

Thanks for listening,
-- Sam

HanBav
It is annoying day by day. If I would not be totally dependent to Brain (12K thoughts, 20K links), I would try tp find a substitute. But there is nothing like Brain.
Harlan, please add a simple text-only alternative.

Darkstar
Hounding EditLive! would be a better. That would let them hear us baying for changes, rather then just having one or two people from TheBrain saying "Our users would really like a few changes/improvements in your product".
-Darkstar
jostber
SamCox wrote:

I know this note will be unwelcome to (almost) all other active members of this forum, but please, Harlan, DO NOT RELEASE PB 5.1 until the notes editor is replaced with something usable.

PB is great, or, to be precise, has great potential, but links, attachments, tags, and thought types are not enough. I need a complete solution with a good if not great editor. I have no use for an HTML-aware editor that tweaks content behind my back.

In a post earlier in this very thread, I suggested being able to link to an editor of my choosing. (Ideally, links to editors could be on a per-note / per-thought basis.) If this isn't possible, then add another "text-only" editor tool panel I can use instead of this "thing" that is doing it's best to lose my business.

Thanks for listening,
-- Sam

The trouble is that noone knows if PB 5.1 will be released next week or next year, and if it will be a test version, beta version or a full version. If 5.1 is a long time coming, I think more bugs should be solved in the 5.0.x versions, as well as new features should be added there. That means smaller features that do not lead to major changes to the code base. One example is the blank line bug in the editor.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
jostber
jostber wrote:
SamCox wrote:

Thanks for listening,
-- Sam

The trouble is that noone knows if PB 5.1 will be released next week or next year, and if it will be a test version, beta version or a full version. If 5.1 is a long time coming, I think more bugs should be solved in the 5.0.x versions, as well as new features should be added there. That means smaller features that do not lead to major changes to the code base. One example is the blank line bug in the editor.

Any views on this?

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
zenrain
Well, the issue in this case is revolving around the loss of formatting for code snippets, I've run into this before also, although I've made do with the loss of formatting, and used the notes as a quick visual reminder and stored the actual code in an attachment.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the notes editor is unusable. I use it all the time. I don't write War and Peace in notes or use it for heavy text editing. I use it for quick (2 or less pages, light formatting) notes related to the thought, and leave the heavy lifting to Word / PSP (Windows) or VoodooPad / SubEthaEdit (Mac) and attach the files. Honestly, once I adjusted how I use notes I've been happy with it *gasp*.

Not that I'd complain if a robust text editor was implemented to replace the current notes feature, and fixing the lost formatting bug would be very nice, but it's really not high on my list anymore.
I understand how SamCox (and others who require a robust text editor) would like to halt PB development until the notes editor is replaced, I just don't share that point of view on this particular standpoint.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software