deutschblitz
Next tremendously annoying issue is the fact that the scroll bar in the notes section of a node is not working properly within the desktop app, no matter how I adjust the size of the notes frame and no matter what font size I choose and no matter whether I use the mouse wheel or arrow keys on the keyboard to try and scroll or actually grabbing the scrollbar with the mouse to move it.......I seem to be unable to scroll to the beginning or the end of my note most of the time. This is highly discouraging. I've been playing around with this for hours and I have found no way to work around this.
Tyler
Hi Deutschblitz,

I'm not able to replicate this error either. I can use my scroll bar on the notes section smoothly. I see that you're running into a lot of unusual issues. Would you be willing to schedule a web meeting to go over these issues? Perhaps it may be easier to go through each of these problems that you're running into over a web meeting or phone conversation. Feel free to give a call at 310-751-5000 or email support at support@thebrain.com.
metta
FWIW, I've run into this issue quite frequently, especially in longer notes. Specifically, I can't scroll to the bottom of the note no matter what I do. Moreover, this problem seems to be even worse (more frequent) when I'm trying to scroll to the bottom of a long note in a brain that someone else has shared with me.

In addition, I've run into another less frequent (but equally frustrating) problem with notes that occasionally keep scrolling on their own after I've stopped using the scroll bar.. The only way I can get this spontaneous scrolling to stop is to exit the note editor completely. Quite a nuisance, as you can imagine.

A third scrolling issue occurs when I try to scroll beyond the visible area of the note while highlighting text. Unfortunately, I'm only able to highlight the visible text (the scroll won't continue beyond or below the visible area), and I've never found a way to work around this limitation. (FWIW, this problem occurs regardless of whether I start highlighting at the top or the bottom of the note -- and opening the note into full view won't fix the issue either.) Needless to say, this makes highlighting text for the purpose of cutting/pasting or formatting a laborious process, at best.

Windows 7 | TheBrain 10.0.41
metta
@deutschblitz ~

After documenting these 3 scroll bugs here in the forum, I ran into the first bug you mentioned, yet again. (FWIW, exiting the note editor and then returning did not solve the problem.)

Fortunately, though, I may have found a temporary workaround:
> When you can't get to the bottom or top of a note, expand it to full view using the tiny arrow at the bottom of the splitter.
> At this point, the scroll may start working again.
> If not, you may still be able to get to the bottom of the note by moving down the note one line at a time.

This obviously isn't a real "fix" for this bug -- but it might at least enable you to get to an place where you can make a few edits/changes in the note.
mcaton
Ronny or Metta,

Can either of you send a copy of the notes.html file into support@thebrain.com for a Thought Note that you cannot scroll on?  I'm wondering if it's caused by the length of the file, content, etc.? This file can be accessed by right clicking on the Thought and selecting Open Thought Folder...

There were a few scrolling issues in earlier versions related to horizontal lines and note spacing, but those should have been resolved.  Maybe something snuck back in...

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Problem note uploaded to the following help desk ticket, per Matt's request:
> Request #: 67930

Based on my recent observations, this problem seems to be an occasional issue with notes that are longer than the visible note field. I've noticed no other content or formatting factors that appear to be directly related: images, font colors, etc.

If you need any additional information, or other examples, please let me know.
mcaton
Metta,

Received your file, but on my initial test - all is well.  First line in your file is "03.30.19 * Metta" and the last line (I made the font large, so it's off screen and requires scrolling) is "changes in the note." I can get there with arrow keys, scroll bar, mouse wheel, etc.

So there must be something else as a contributing factor.  Screen resolution?  Are you scaling your monitor/s?

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Thanks for your prompt feedback, Matt.

I have no unusual screen resolution settings (I'm using the Win7 default), and I only use 1 monitor with no scaling.

I also tested the same note in my brain just now and there is no scrolling issue at the moment. Unfortunately, however, this is the typical pattern with both of the first 2 bugs:
> They seem to be limited to long notes, but they don't happen with all long notes and they don't happen to the same note all the time.

In fact, because the first scrolling bug you tested and the spontaneous scrolling bug both occur so randomly and unpredictably, this is why I have not reported either of these issues before now. (I knew I couldn't schedule a call to demonstrate them on demand.)

This is also why I've assumed all 3 of the bugs are not specific to the note itself, and I thought they might be some kind of content area display glitch instead. (Sorry I don't know more about the back-end technical side of things to comment more meaningfully on this)

However, all 3 of these scrolling issues have been longstanding and ongoing, and I've observed all 3 in shared brains -- so if there is anything other information I can provide, please let me know.
  • For example, if you would like me to call the office when I do run into either of the first 2 bugs, let me know.
  • Also, I can demonstrate (or create a video of) the 3rd highlight-related scrolling bug any time because it occurs with any/all long notes that extend beyond the visible note area.
metta
Just now confirmed the 3rd scrolling bug (with highlighted text) was documented back in v9:
> #4751
mcaton
Yes, the selecting text issue is still open.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software