gbolzan
I think that sometimes it could be useful to link an Event to more than one Thought. I know that events are part of a Thought and not vice versa. However, I think that sometimes events could have more than one parent, as it happens with Thoughts.

Thank you,
Gerardo
Cerebrum
Definitely. [thumb]
I suggest that almost always (rather than sometimes) it would be useful to link an Event to more than one Thought. An Event is rarely about only one thing. Right now, if I want to link multiple participants, ideas, products and projects to an Event, I have to create some kind of "pseudo-date/time event/thought" and link all the related thoughts to this extra, redundant Thought, and then link it to the Event, with none of the related thoughts actually linked to the Event.

I think that it makes more sense to have an Event as a special kind of Thought that has additional date/time fields available. This would not only allow an Event to be linked to more than one Thought, it would make all of the Thought functionality available in the Event/Thought. (See Timeline and Events.) There could even be an option to display Events in a list for any Thought that is linked to the Events.
shatcher
Gerardo, Cerebrum,

Thanks for the idea and example use case. I've documented a feature request for this. It does seem very useful to know exactly what Thoughts are part of an event, such as having multiple people on a project.

Cheers, Sean
lunatrix
+1 for having events being more like thoughts, or just being thoughts, for that matter.
AmbidexterMan
+1
lunatrix
Actually in just trying now to find a thought via a date what I really wish is that thoughts themselves had user-settable dates, and could be ordered by those dates (in the timeline or if not that, then just in reports). Note this is different from created and modified dates which we already have. User-settable dates could refer flexibly to different things for different thoughts - event dates for events, or other relevant dates.

For a while I was trying to create date-thoughts of my own and link other thoughts to them appropriately. It is a great system in principle but to do it systematically is a lot of work and gets frustrating when it comes to creating, organising and displaying the date-thoughts. Unless someone else has found a great way to achieve this?

Ive written about this elsewhere (won't take time to find the links right now) but wanted to take the opportunity to re-raise this topic. I do really like the display of the time line but I find some frustration in using it as flexibly as I would like. Hope this is useful.
shatcher
Hi Helen,

Instead of date-Thoughts, you can use Thought Types or Tags with dates to identify specific Thoughts. These come up under searches, and you would not need to add unnecessary links or extraneous Thoughts to your plex.

Cheers, Sean
lunatrix
Thanks Sean
This sounds like an interesting idea but I am not sure I fully understand what you mean. Do you mean have a tag for each date (e.g. a tag called 2017_10_08)? It seems that would make for a lot of one-use tags - esp in current state where we can't nest tags in a hierarchy? Or have I totally misunderstood?
shatcher
Helen,

The way I was thinking would be when you have a lot of Thoughts that you want to have the same date you could use a Tag for just that date (2017_10_09).

Another way would be to do a combination of Tags. Have a tag for each month and a separate Tag for each day. This way each Tag is reusable, and not just taking up space. Ex: I have 2 test Thoughts: "Anything" and "Nothing". Anything has the Tags 9 and November, Nothing has 9 and October. If I search for 9 and click on the search result, both Thoughts are linked to 9. Hovering over them shows me their month Tags and I can easily distinguish dates. On the other hand, if I had a lot of October dates and searched for October, I could easily tell which Thoughts had which date by hovering over them to see the numbered Tag I assigned.

Cheers, Sean
zenrain
An alternate way is that I create a thought that is representative of the event itself and link it to the appropriate related thoughts. I then create a timeline event and link it to the event thought. 
It would depend a lot on what events you are trying to record, but for me this works well as I can add "event" related notes and other related information to the thought, see it on the timeline, and when I activate it from the timeline I can see the contextual information in the plex itself.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.222
Cerebrum
shatcher wrote: Another way would be to do a combination of Tags. Have a tag for each month and a separate Tag for each day. This way each Tag is reusable, and not just taking up space. Ex: I have 2 test Thoughts: "Anything" and "Nothing". Anything has the Tags 9 and November, Nothing has 9 and October. If I search for 9 and click on the search result, both Thoughts are linked to 9. Hovering over them shows me their month Tags and I can easily distinguish dates. On the other hand, if I had a lot of October dates and searched for October, I could easily tell which Thoughts had which date by hovering over them to see the numbered Tag I assigned.Are you actually using this method? [confused]

Sorry, but this sounds a bit bizarre:
Create 43 Tags for months and days. Also, create Tags for an indeterminate number of "Years".
Use three sets of text variables to emulate a date/time field, instead of using a date/time field.
Use Tags like "January" and "February" by accessing them from an ungrouped list.

Also, given that multiple Tags can be added to a Thought, it would be quite easy (especially when editing a "date") to make the mistake of adding October and November to the same Thought, along with 30 and 31, along with whatever other Tags are needed for this Thought. 

And, we still don't have a way of creating Tags without adding a new Tag to a Thought.

Next thing you know, you'll be suggesting we use special characters in a Thought's name, along with a comma and a period ... [wink]
shatcher
Cerebrum,

Having ungrouped Tags to define dates could easily get out of hand. My response was an idea that would make Tags reusable so there aren't a bunch of single use Tags cluttering up the Tag menu. For my personal Brain the reusability outweighs the clunkiness of having ungrouped Tags. Of course this method would not work very well with a lot of dated Thoughts, or like you mentioned accidentally adding more than one Tag. Where it does work is with a few (about 5-20) dated Thoughts per month.

Cheers, Sean
lunatrix
What Zenrain describes is what I currently do (and have been doing since before we had the timeline, though of course the timeline gives a better display). It works ok for me.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software