igoldsmid
Harlan

Do you have any plans or intentions to enable opening pdf's, and microsoft office documents inside PB - like being able to read and edit a Word document inside the Notes panel, or in an additional tab in the Properties/Attachments/Notes Panel?

If this opening/editing of external documents in PB were possible, and in addition there was a way to copy (via Firefox extension or IE tool) web pages (editable) conveniently into the Notes Panel, like with EverNote or Onenote 2007, that would be a fantastic rounding out of an already world-class Personal Organizer...

Ian

IJG
spytech128
Now, that is truly my dream of features for PB4! Yeah! I second this request, completely!
Spytech128
dreynolds
Thanks for the feedback. We have added this a future feature request.

DavidR.

igoldsmid
Excellent news - thanks!
IJG
Harlan
Although we've logged this, I have to say this is highly unlikely. Implementing this type of functionality is technically close to impossible. (We'd have to rebuild Word and every other program whose content was to be edited inside PB...)
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
oh well - certainly not a show-stopper. Though UltraRecall from kinook.com - has had this feature (opening microsoft docs/ppts/xls, and pdf inside itself) since it was first released a few years ago - therefore I thought it wouldn't be technically rocket science.

IJG
Harlan
havent looked at this specifically, but i would guess they are embedding the other apps, not actually opening the docs themselves. this is a lot easier, but doesnt really speed up things much since the apps still have to be loaded...
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
Hi Harlan

Yes - they are embedding the other apps. It still has to load sure, but it really is very convenient to have the app running inside - rather than having to switch windows,

Ian

IJG
Harlan
In my experience, this kind of embedding is very crash prone. (Think IE embedding Word docs for example...) How have you found it with UR?
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
I have found it to work perfectly UR - for powerpoints, word, excel, and pdf... in fact with Office 2007 inside UR, you get the ribbon visible too... I like it...

The only thing you have to take care of is an obscure setting in windows' folder options:

Folder Options/File Types - select each file type you want to open inside another application - click Advanced, and check "browse in the same window"

IJG
zenrain
One thing to note is this (at least viewing .pdf's) would be easier to implement in the Mac version as you can leverage the built in viewer.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software