jsampson45
I notice that when I change the order of thoughts via Options: Arrange Thoughts by: Creation Date, the thoughts appear in *reverse* order of creation date. Can this be changed?
mcaton
John,

Thanks for posting.  You should be seeing that Thoughts appear newest to oldest.  You would prefer Oldest to newest?  

Thanks,
Matt
jsampson45
Newest to oldest is rather surprising. It might be good to have the option to choose newest to oldest or oldest to newest. I understand that there will be more ordering facilities in Version 9.
mcaton
Yes, version 9 also has the "hidden ordering" system.  Simply name your thoughts with .01, .02, .03 etc.  They will appear, when grouped, according to their number - which will not display in the plex.

I'll document your feature request for Oldest to Newest.

Thanks,
Matt
JasperToo
The hidden ordering system does not seem to be working for me.   Perhaps I am doing it wrong but it seems straight forward.  Is the order number supposed to be in front of the name with a comma between??

OH, nevermind1
pthompson
Barry,

I assume you figured it out, but for others it should be something like:

.01 Thought A
.02 Thought B
.03 Thought C

etc.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
JasperToo
Yeah, Thanks! I have used it before but quite awhile ago.. took me a few tries - i kept wanting to use a comma
Lunieth
The hidden ordering system is fine where the child (or jump) thoughts are under a single parent or multiple parents where the ordering is the same.

I have been working on some thoughts recently where this ordering system does not apply like this.  i.e. multiple parents but with child (or jump) thoughts which contain common (child) thoughts but need to be displayed in a different order depending on the context (Parent Thought selected).

I have for example linked from a Parent (Parent 1) to a series of child thoughts, the first being .01 thought as I want this child displayed first when viewing Parent 1 (followed by child thoughts .02 thought.03 thought). This works as I want.

However the .01 thought also appears as a child under an alternative parent (Parent 2) and want this .01 thought to be displayed as the third child thought. For instance - under the alternative parent (Parent 2I have the following children (and would like them displayed in this order): 
.01 alt thought
.02 alt thought and
.01 thought
Under the present system the common .01 thought will be displayed second from Parent 2 perspective - but I want it to be ordered 3rd in this case.

So I have nicely ordered child thoughts from the focus of one parent thought (Parent 1), but from the perspective of another thought (Parent 2) which shares the same child (but with other children not linked) the ordering does not work as I want.  This seems a little clumsy and to me one of the key points and power of the Brain is about viewing how other thoughts relate to the context of the focused thought.

One way to address this would be to apply an ordering logic to the link properties (from the perspective of the focused thought) - these are exclusive between two thoughts and thus would not conflict where there are multiple links to a thought. This would have to take precedence over the thought level ordering logic to work within how the current ordering is implemented.
shatcher
Jonathan,

With this kind of ordering system, it is not really possible to dynamically change the order of Thoughts. Although for the system you are describing, you could name your Thoughts:
.1 AltA
.2 AltB
.3 ThoughtA

While under the other parent Thought it would be:
.3 ThoughtA
.4 ThoughtB
.5 ThoughtC

Another method that can rearrange the Thoughts in the manner you described would be to use the hidden ordering system twice:
.1 AltA
.2 AltB
.3 .1 ThoughtA

While under the other parent:
.3 .1 ThoughtA

.3 .2 ThoughtB
.3 .3 ThoughtC

Cheers, Sean

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software