phschwager Show full post »
bmac
Microsoft does not recommend Office 2010 64-bit for anybody with the exception of those few who may be managing extremely large -- >1 GB in size  -- Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations. Furthermore, office 2010 64-bit will not communicate with a Windows mobile smart phone due to limitations of Windows mobile device Center (WMDC). My recommendation would be to uninstall office 2010 64-bit and then install office 2010 32-bit (since both versions are on the DVD) and then determine if you are still having this problem with the PersonalBrain.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
FrostByghte
Where is a reference I can look at to see that MS does not recommend anyone use the 64bit version unless they have extreme file sizes?

I purchased PB anyway, I float between MS Outlook and Gmail.  Using PB right now for organizing my coursework for college.  Seems to function well for that, and it's helping me enough to be worth the price.

64bit applications are the future and providing functionality for that future is important.  However, if MS is saying specifically not to use the 64bit version of office, I might consider dropping it.  Right now though, I don't see any need because everything else I do functions with it perfectly.  I have several 3rd party utilities I use and they have updated to 64bit support as well.  The only thing I am having problems finding is the Linkedin social connector for 64bit.
bmac
This link will provide the basic information, but because of the incompatibility the 64-bit office 2010 as with many applications, a good number of "expert" websites are recommending to stick with the 32-bit  application unless you are working with extremely large spreadsheets, etc.  There are no speed advantages of the 64-bit over the 32-bit as far as I have been able to determine.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
FrostByghte
Any chance the developers are going to prepare for 64bit Outlook at some point? 

I'm just not going to remove my office 64bit because one application fails to properly tie in with it.  It's very sad that this won't be addressed sooner.  It's just another reactive instead of proactive approach.  Wait until enough people complain about 64bit Outlook not working, then fix it.
bmac
You must be working with extremely large (> 1 GB) spreadsheets or Microsoft Word files because Microsoft really does not recommend the 64 bit version of  Microsoft Office 2010 for the typical user. Outlook 64-bit also has problems syncing with a windows mobile smartphone (Windows Mobile Device Center cannot handle the 64-bit Outlook).

If you really do not need the 64-bit version (it's not any faster than the 32-bit version), you might save yourself a lot of headaches by converting to the 32-bit version.

Bill
FrostByghte
Bill, 

I understand what you are saying, but I am not removing my 64bit install for this one app. But I do appreciate what you are saying and I thank you for trying to offer that suggestion.

I feel this is a bug in the software and it should be able to work properly.  I can find no mention that Personal Brain works with only Outlook 32bit and if you use 64bit you are SOL.  I just would like to know if it's going to get fixed.  

Most people will just install PB and toss their hands up when it doesn't work with Outlook 64bit.  Most won't bother to post and won't care to bring it up.  And honestly I am not a programmer, but from what I have read the solution doesn't sound hard to implement.  It's just a matter of someone doing it.
Moe

Quote:

Originally posted by: FrostByghte
Any chance the developers are going to prepare for 64bit Outlook at some point? 

Yes, drag and drop from Outlook 64 is on our developers list of requests to implement in a future release of PB.

Thanks,
Moe

costab
Would it work if we run PersonalBrain using the 64bit JRE? And can we do that?
Moe
Hi costab, Thank You for posting and welcome to the forum .

Quote:

Would it work if we run PersonalBrain using the 64bit JRE?

No.

Thanks,
Moe
HanBav
I have the same problem(s) with outlook 2010 64bit.
Because of the incompatibility with Outlook I will go back to Office 32 Bit.

But yes, it would have been good to know about this issue with PBrain.
It always costs an hour or two to realize that not the own specific installation has built the problem.

What if the installer of brain would check those candidates for trouble and giving a warning? I know, it's an effort but the multiplication of all efforts and frustrations of PBrain users might be the bigger number?

For me the integration from brain to outlook is a major feature.

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software