GarryRobbins
I have a lot of Thoughts that occasionally require automatic updating the notes or label fields.

I can modify the data in the XML, but when I "Edit --> Paste Thoughts", it duplicates the Thoughts. I've even tried selecting the Thoughts to be updated. Same results.

Any way of forcing a "Edit --> Paste and Update Thoughts" to only change fields, not create entirely new Thoughts?

And, logically, an "Edit --> Paste and Delete Thoughts" to only delete Thoughts by GUID?

Thanks!
Thanks, Garry.
Harlan
Actually, this can be done. The XML must contain the GUIDs for the thoughts to be edited. If the GUIDs are included, you will be offered the option of whether to overwrite the existing thoughts.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
Garry,

Are you not receiving the message that says "Thought already exists: [name of thought] How do you want to proceed?"...  From here, you should be able to Overwrite the existing thoughts, rather than make copies.

Options.png 

If you're not seeing this option, maybe we can schedule a webinar to review your process.

EDIT - looks like Harlan and I are replying at the same time.  Check the GUIDs and let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Matt
GarryRobbins
No, I don't see that.  Version 8.0.22 Pro. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

If I'm updating a block of Thoughts, will I need to confirm overwriting for each conflict, or just once for the entire paste operation?

Thanks! Click image for larger version - Name: Step_1_Select_Thoughts.png, Views: 90, Size: 27.22 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Step_2_Copy_Thoughts.png, Views: 88, Size: 28.55 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Step_3_Paste_Thoughts.png, Views: 87, Size: 50.15 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Step_4_Duplicated_Thoughts.png, Views: 87, Size: 36.16 KB
Thanks, Garry.
mcaton
Garry,

You mentioned that you are modifying the XML.  If you also modify the Brain GUID in the XML Code - Look for these lines at the very top:

<BrainData>

<Source>

<guid>56893747-4F98-72VB-7106-D97779682700</guid>

(just change one character in the guid line) - TheBrain will think the data is coming from a *different Brain* but will still recognize the same GUIDs on the Thoughts and prompt you with the option to Overwrite, Skip, Duplicate, etc.

Also, yes, you'll have the option to overwrite one or all.

Happy to review this process with you in a web meeting if needed.

Thanks,
Matt
GarryRobbins
That works great! Thanks!

I can see that would tie in nicely with WebBrain, which I don't use.

Good stuff!
Thanks, Garry.
mcaton
Great to hear.  Thanks for the update Garry!

Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software