acant05

Just upgraded to PB 4.5.0.8 and everything went OK on my 2 small databases but my main database (30,000+ thoughts with 15,000 or so notes) will not finish the update process.  See attached png image and output.log - the progress indicator is at 40% or so. What should I do?  Thankfully, I backed up my databases fully before attempting the upgrade.

Click image for larger version - Name: Update_Error_PBv4.5.0.8.png, Views: 518, Size: 10.92 KB
Al Cantley
acant05
PS - when I try to close the dialog or main PB window it says I must wait until operation is complete - now 4+ hours and counting...
Al Cantley
Harlan
Hello,

If you close PersonalBrain via task manager and then restart it, I think it will start up OK. However, the notes icons will not display correctly. If you can, could you a BrainZip to support@thebrain.com so we can see what is going wrong? You can use this service to send it: http://www.yousendit.com

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
-Harlan
acant05

Killed PPB and restarted; process hung again at same spot. Therefore, cannot load the brain file to use BrainZip.  Zipping from explorer results in 1.9 GB file and I am on a slow dial-up connection.  So .... not sure what can now be done - reinstall v 4.5.0.6 ?

Al Cantley
Harlan
First, please try increasing the amount of memory available to PesronalBrain as follows.

If it still does not work, please try zipping up the _brain\brain_db folder.

1. Close PB4

2. Create a text file and put the following content into it:

-Xmx196m

Make sure there is a linefeed (Enter) at the of the text. Save this file and name it PersonalBrain.vmoptions in the PB program folder.

3. Restart PB4.

Regards,
-Harlan
acant05

The procedure did not work. Am emailing the \Brain_db folder (3 zip files).

Al Cantley
acant05

Correction; my son is uploading the file for me - only 1 122MB zipped file.  Uploading on a slow dial-up did not compute... Thanks.

Al Cantley
mosaic
You may need to try a much bigger memory assignment. In my case, I knew that indexing failed (when I assigned 550MB Ram to PB VM) for a brain which has approximately 25,000 thoughts in it.

I increased memory assignment significantly to 1GB for a brain which has over 42,000 thoughts and 120,000 links for the indexing to finish. But I have a quad core cpu.

Change to following

-Xmx196m

to

-Xmx1000m

For 1GB assignment. You may also try

-Xmx775

It may work for you.
Brain Matters!
-------------------------
Profile 1 - PB:4.5.0.8
Java: 1.6.0_07
Profile 2 - PB:4.5.0.6
Java: 1.6.0_06
acant05
Tried the 1 GB setting - PB hung at the same place.  Thanks for the tip though.
Am uploading my \brain_db\ folder today to see if Harlan can figure it out.
Al Cantley
mosaic
Yes, it could happen.

I tried mine on a second computer with 4GB physical memory, I also allocated 1GB to VM, however, a lower CPU (Duo Core vs Quad Core in my first computer), PB hang as well.

So I confirm with your findings.

I am awaiting a newer version to address this issue. (Memory problem is difficult to address, we may have to give them good amount of time to find the fix)
Brain Matters!
-------------------------
Profile 1 - PB:4.5.0.8
Java: 1.6.0_07
Profile 2 - PB:4.5.0.6
Java: 1.6.0_06
mcaton
Al,

We received your Brain_db.  Our engineers are reviewing.

Thank you!
Matt
acant05
Update:
Tried version 4.5.0.9 and the process hangs at same place and will not load. Reverted to version 4.5.0.6 for now.

Al

Al Cantley
mcaton
Al,

Please try this with the 4509 Brain that did not work previously.

Force a PersonalBrain restore from the automatic backup file by closing PB, then renaming the folder "brain_db", which is located inside your _brain folder, to a new name such as "brain_db_corrupted", and then restarting PB.

Option # 2 - Can you zip up your ENTIRE _Brain folder and email to me at matt@thebrain.com?  Either your 4506 or 4509 version will be fine for this.

Thank you,
Matt
acant05
Matt,

I tried option #1 and it worked BUT only thoughts created prior to July 11, 2208  are included. Bottom line - I have lost (at least temporarily) 40+ days of work... See the directory image in the other thread showing the latest large-file backup dated 7/10/2008. I was backing up religiously but it was all corrupt every time.  The automatic backup was failing with no notification. 

What now? Is there any chance you can recover the other?

Thanks.

Al Cantley
acant05
Matt,

Just estimated the potential damage by reloading 4.5.0.6 database. Report results from 7/11- 8/23:
244 Created Thoughts
796 Modified Thoughts
This was relatively light usage since it included a week's vacation time.

Al Cantley

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software