hock
I have a problem with PB's inflexible way of handling attachments and wonder if it might be possible to change the way PB deals with file attachments upon moving files or folders to a different drive or different location?

When the location of a file or folder which is attached to a thought changes, PB message states that " the requested files does not exist. It may have been moved or deleted". Well this is factually correct. However, instead of merely stating that the file has moved, would it not be desirable to offer users also an option like "Would you like to point to the file's new location"?

Another improvement might be (if possible) to make the Location field under  the "Properties & Attachments" tab editable.

Has anyone else got any comments, suggestions or ideas in relation to the way PB deals with attachments when moving files or folders?

Eugen Hockenjos
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
Harlan
Unfortunately, the information about where the file was moved to is not available to PB as the OS does not track this information. We have a pending feature request to offer an option to initiate a search for the file. The best thing to do in the meantime is drag and drop the new location in and remove the older location.
Regards,
-Harlan
hock
Thanks... hmm, so no manual editing of where thought attachments are located?

PB does a great job in listing orphan thoughts - would it be possible to add a PB search functionality which searches and lists all attachments that can not be found (either because they have been moved or deleted)?

Eugen
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
Ralf
Hello Eugen,

I was dealing with the same problem (see my "Moving Attachments" thread). Spacenexus recommended to move the files INTO the Brain so they are internal file attachments.

I gave it a try and it must say it works pretty well. I don't have difficulties to find a file anymore. It just a matter of changing habits and getting used to the new way of storing my documents (sometimes I'm searching My Documents or my USB for a file - until I remember that I store them in my brain now

And with the registered PB4 Core version searching inside the attachments is a very powerful feature. That way it is very easy to find documents attached to thoughts.

Regards, Ralf

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software