BrentK
I saw another post that contained several instances of hangs, but since that post contained varying descriptions and PB versions I thought it might be better to start a new post. 

As the Subject line says, PB intermittently hangs for approx 2 minutes.  I haven't noticed any pattern associated with the hangs, i.e. I'm not repeating any actions that result in hangs, but they always occur when I select a Thought to activate it.  When the hang ends, PB activates the selected Thought.  Nothing else on my laptop is slowed down during these hangs.

Should I open a ticket and send my log?  If so, should I wait to do this right after a hang?

I have PB 6.0.7.1, java 1.6.0_24, and Windows XP SP3.

kenwheeler77
I've been noticing the same issues lately as well with PB while the rest of the PC is moving along fine.  I made sure my mapped drives were connected as well.

Win7 - 64bit
PB 6.0.7.0
Java 1.6.0_24

zenrain
I've noticed that it's really bad when there is a password protected network location that's linked in the attachments. However, I've seen the same delay also, even when the attachments are all local.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Moe
Brent, Ken and Zen, Please reproduce the lockup you are experiencing then forward us a copy of your log file to support@thebrain.com as the cause may be different in each case. In the mean time we'll run tests to see if we can reproduce the lockup.

Thanks,
Moe
zenrain
I'll try, but generating a log file means that I have to run PB as Admin, which then means that I can't drag anything into it, which results in me bursting into tears for 5-10 minutes.

Minimum.

And I'm low on Kleenex.

macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Moe
Zen, Thanks for the followup. If you are using PB on Windows 7 or Vista, if you copy the PB installation folder onto your desktop or another location other then the default location where your programs are installed. If you then run PB (not running it as admin by executing PersonalBrain.exe), I believe drag and drop will work and the log file will be generated. That means you can save your kleenex .

Thanks,
Moe
zenrain
Ha, cool it works!
I'll forward it on when it occurs again. 

Quote:
That means you can save your kleenex

Good thing too, that stuff's expensive!

macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
BrentK
Moe,
A hang occurred about 10 minutes ago.  I've sent the log file to you via email.

Moe
@Zen, Thanks for posting back. Glad that you were able to save some money on the Kleenex .

@Brent, Your log files are being looked over by our engineers. We'll be in contact with you via support.

Thanks,
Moe
D
********please skip this attachment, instead, download dumpJVM.2.zip shown later in this thread. The new version is easier to run. Still, unzip it and run dumpJVM.bat.

--I am a software engineer at TheBrain Technologies.

Here is an initial step to try to solve this problem.  To help us, you have to have JDK 6 installed.

Please download the attached zip and expand it into a convenient place.
There are two files: dumpJVM.bat and DumpJVM.class.

Whenever PersonalBrain is frozen, please double click dumpJVM.bat.
There will be a new file "SendToTheBrain.bin" created in this folder. This file contains PersonalBrain's memory usage at this moment and can be big, say, 30MB. Please ask Moe about how to send it to us.
Certainly, please make sure that PersonalBrain is being frozen until file "SendToTheBrain.bin" appears.

At present we are trying to figure out which part might cause this problem.This small tool uses standard JDK features and does not probe any user information.
Thanks!

D
@Brent, thanks for the log! Unfortunately we couldn't extract what we want from it.
BrentK
D.,
I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it, and then ran the bat file as a practice run.  Unfortunately an error occurred and I didn't get the expected output file.  Here are the error messages:
Code:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "jmap": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at DumpJVM.main(DumpJVM.java:30)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
... 5 more

Moe
Brent, You need to have Java JDK 6 installed first. If you did not install it then you can obtain it from the following link.

Thanks,
Moe

D
Hi Brent,
If you have installed JDK, please make sure the path $JDK$\bin is included in your system's PATH environment variable.
Thanks!
D
BrentK
OK, I installed JDK 6 and updated the path variable.  I issued the path command and confirmed that ;$JDK$\bin is shown at the end.  I also checked PB's Help>About and I see that my java version is now 1.6.0_26 (it was _24 before).

I ran the bat file again and this is what I get now.

Code:
java DumpJVM

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "jmap": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at DumpJVM.main(DumpJVM.java:30)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
... 5 more

delete pid.txt

'delete' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Brent

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software