Spacenexus
Quote: Can PB be run on a PDA?

If no, what will it take to run PB from a PDA?

Just a thought on this, i use a JasJar (WM5) and often thought it would would be cool to have PB on it. However, the functionality and breadth developed in PB4 would be unlikely to be anywhere nearly matched in the WM platform. Of course, we all have our own usage models and it's not to say it wouldn't be cool to have a simplified plex on the WM platform for propinquity.

I do recall a much earlier post either on the forum or yahoogroups explaining that to development of a WM platform would take some work as there are significant differences, even though it's java based.

If ultraportability is your thing, have you checked out the OQO Model 02 or the Sony Vaio UX series which would of course run PB4 without modification?

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Harlan

Unfortunately, unless you have a very simple application, Java still requires a lot of custom code for each target platform. I don't have a WM device... does it include a JVM? What version is available?

Regards,
-Harlan
Spacenexus
I've checked on my WM5 device and it seems that java applications are called MIDlets, written for the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) of the Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2ME).

Windows Mobile is a popular platform, so is Symbian and then there are still others used. I think within each there are numerous versions and platforms. Development of a brain application that will work smoothly on these may take up significant resources, though i don't have relavent exerience to comment sensibly on this - anyone with experience of mobile java shed light on the effort that might be required?

In terms of usage, i do use my mobile to take notes in meetings occassoinally or jot things down. But within a day or two i transfer anything synchronised and relavent into the brain on the PC anyway.

Perhaps using WM brains for brainstorming or other transient purposes would make it useful to have. If a synchronisation capability were enabled with PB4 whereby thoughts (and their content, which mostly converts seemlessly to WM and other platforms ok these days) could be tagged to be synchonised and automatic rules of linking synchronised (but ordinarily unconnected) thoughts were established, then that might be useful. For example, if heading out to a meeting, i could select and crawl a set of chosen thoughts relavent to that meeting and click synchronise with mobile device (as defined in prefs). Then select either existing or new mobile brain file. Then if existing, select new parent thought within existing mobile brain. But perhaps the greatest usage would come from using in its thinking tool capability rather than as a knowledge management tool simply becase these mobile devices don't have the performance to manage any significant amount of knowledge .

In the end i'd expect that on the mobile platform the novelty would soon wear off for me, relagated for attempting to impress highly intelligent ladies that i really am an interesting person (come up to my den and i'll show you my brain etc ). Personally i'd be up for the team concentrating on continued development of the PC/Mac based versions rather than investing additional effort on mobile devices, which all seem to have their individual requirements. Be interesting to hear other opinions of the usefulness of or keenness for a moble platform brain.

cheers

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
Harlan

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Yes, we're on the same page here. Unfortunately, our engineering resources are limited and the mobile device platforms are numerous indeed. There is definately a 'cool factor' here, but I'm not sure that the usefulness can justify the efforts. Anyhow, once you can put your Brain online, you could access it from your mobile device also...

Regards,
-Harlan
Shiiko
Prediction:  TheBrain on a hand-held (pda and/or phone, basically they will be the same thing), and voice controlled.  It's going to happen. We just have to be patient.
Wahlstedt

Referring to the Shiiko's prediction, which I agree, maybe after that we can wait for the wireless headbands etc. for the future telepathy (for reading TheBrains  

tcarternyc
Hi all,

Bluetooth headphones made it. Now what about that port to J2ME. Another incentive to make that move is that the entire corporate community is waiting to discover their brains! Blackberry also uses J2ME and can run midlets. With the spread of wide screen technology in the form of the Blackberry Storm there is a huge incentive to get the application into  a form which will run on J2ME. Still I understand that there must be a lot of development required for each platform. I would think however that the voice control tie-in is a likely outcome of this move.
:
Regards,
Tommie Carter

Have a little fun each day.
Spacenexus
Ever in pursuit of the perfect solution to having my brain with me, last week I invested in a Redfly C8N (http://www.celiocorp.com/companion). The most unintuitive purchase one could imagine. A dumb terminal for your WM mobile phone.

However, with instant on, near instant bluetooth connection to my unlimited dataplan TyTNII, no operating system, no storage, 10 HOUR battery life (!!!) and ability to charge my phone fully and still run for 8 hours it is the most amazing addition to mobility yet.

LogMeIn works beautifully from it and i can run my PB in full screen mode on its 8" screen with minimal lag.

When my prime laptop is at homebase my Redfly slips into the pocket of my techvest (http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml) and i'm on my way faster than you can say nerdfest!

best

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
ybourgui
My question regards having our webBrain accessible from a mobile. I have a palm centro and a Nokia N78, but I am not able to see my webbrain from these devices. Do you know which mobile phone/PDA would allow me access to my webbrain?

pshanks
I've had WebBrains working on my iPod touch, so I would guess that it would also work on iPhone.

Harlan

As of today, WebBrain has been optimized only for the iPhone. In the near future, phone compatibility will be much wider, with Android and Palm at the top of the list.

Regards,
-Harlan
howard001

Referring to the Shiiko's prediction, which I agree, maybe after that we can wait for the wireless headbands etc. for the future telepathy (for reading TheBrains  

danieljones2006
I think it will work on PDAs. But it would be better if the whole thing works on Android, Symbian, i phone and other OS

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software