GRSaunders
PB 6.0.5.1 - Win 7

My brain is around 7500 thoughts and is about 1GB in BrainZip size...from what I see on the forums, this is not the largest of brains.

I use my brain all day and the longer it is running the slower it gets.  Finally it gets to the point where there is a 2-5 second delay on every click and certain brain options delay even longer.  At this point I have to close the brain and restart giving me another few hours of brain use before I have to close out once again.

I turned on memory in the title bar and noticed PB increases its memory over time and eventually PB says it has only 2mb free...the workstation has 4GB of RAM and has over 1.5GB free according to the system metrics.

Anybody experiencing something similar?

Regards,
George

Shiiko
8,500 thoughts, Win 7. 6.0.5.1   2 MB ram only. Use all day.  Not having the same experience as you. 
ivos
I have the same experience. I first experienced this problem with a 350 thoughts Brain. But later I tested this behavior with a tiny Brain (20 thoughts) and the results is the same.
My experience:
Win XP, 1,8GHz, 2GB RAM, 800MB free
PB 6.0.5.1
PB indicated used memory increases even without being used up to 185MB. If the used memory touch this limit, the free memory decrease even under 1MB.
This has an effect in complete freezing of PB. If this happened, even Task manger reacts after tens of seconds.
Questions:
  1. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
  2. Has anybody has an idea, how to work with this bug until it will be removed?
  3. Where is this 185MB limit comes from?

godsendpie
So is mine.

My machine has 8GB memory with a 2.6GHz dual-core CPU. Usually I put it into sleep when I don't use it.  And PB will freeze after I run it for around half of a day. Also the animation of the wheel behind the Home Thought doesn't roll smoothly enough even when I launch the application. So I'm guessing is there something need to be done with the java or else? By the way my OS is Win7 x64. Hope you can solve the problem soon and thank you for your effort to creat this wonderful software.
Spacenexus
Yes, unfortunately the delay lags have creeped back in for some reason. About 1-2 months ago a performance optimisation was made which proved to be effective in catching lags; might be time for another round.

I've noticed lags on thought activation and again long lags on instant search.

cheers

Jim

Win 7 64bit
8GB RAM

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
pshanks
Yes, we've noticed the same think too.

Instant search & thought activation have long lags. And agree with Jim, that had been resolved before.

Also when we selected a Thought Type not sure why each time it re-loads the Thought icons, couldn't they be loaded only once. Not sure why they have to be re-loaded on each Thought Type selection.

bookeater
I have the very same problem since PB5 and I posted the issue here.
My guess is that the problem might have something to do with the size of notes. I have on average each note long for 500-2000 words...
If I browse my brain intensively it might take about 20min for PB to start choking and running out of it's 200mb internal memory. The only solution to it is to close and reopen PB. I just learnt to live with it

bmac
yes, the same here.  The delay is about 10 seconds if I recall correctly
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
fjgrijalva
I am experiencing a similar set of problems.

Fernando
PB 6.0.5.1 - Win xp sp3
Fernando
PB 6.0.7.9 Pro - Win 7 Pro
J-1.7.0
25,000+ Thoughts; 155,000+ Links
user since 2000
mcaton
Thanks everyone for bringing this to our attention.  Could some of you please replicate the issue and then immediately post or send us a copy of the output.log files.  We'd like to see if they indicate the cause of the problem and if it is a common cause for everyone.

Thank you,
Matt
ederg
In most cases of feezes there is no single error entry in the output.log.
Regards
Gerald
bookeater
Quote:
In most cases of feezes there is no single error entry in the output.log.
Regards
Gerald

It could be the case as technically it doesn't freeze as much as it rather slows down significantly after reaching its internal 200mb limit.
Interestingly memory usage incrementally grows up with some freeing up of resources every now and then.

Spacenexus
I've also noticed that the lags are particularly predominant in presentation mode. That really needs attention since presentation mode can be many peoples' first impression of seeing PB.

Any swift attention on this apprecaited.

thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
EaglesCall
I don't know what the PB folks did, but my brains have become very frustrating. Memory usage seems to creep up no matter what you are doing, the brain slows down and freezes. I have to shut it down and re-open about every half hour just to keep working. Forget having any other apps open as there eventually won't be enough resources for them either.
NEVER had this issue until a few days ago --- what changed? It doesn't matter what computer I am on either, I have 4Gb RAM on each and 3.2 Ghz processor, this should not be an issue.

Help!
zenrain
Quote:
I bet the PB-team have their hands full, that's why there is no response.

That's an interesting statement, considering on Oct 28th Matt asked people to replicate this issue and send them log files so they can research further.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software