dlorde
I'm using a registered Core version 6 of PB. I recently discovered that many of my thoughts have somehow gained additional attachments that belong to completely unrelated thoughts. Most attachments are URLs, so many thoughts now have 2 URL attachments (which isn't supposed to be allowed in Core). Also, many notes have been added/copied to unrelated thoughts. Some thoughts have lost the original attachment URL although they still have the browser icon.

I'm guessing it happened during one of the version 6 updates. I've tried rebuilding the database, but the problem still remains.

Anyone had this? Any idea how to fix it without editing every thought by hand?
DigiPug
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, only an additional report of a similar incident.  I'm using the pro version 6, and I've noticed an occasional moving attachment, but on a more frequent basis, I'm seeing notes for a given thought moving and being duplicated to the point where notes seem to be getting completely lost, and I've had to start deleting thoughts due to missing notes.

For me, I'm using this application to track work projects... this sort of issue will be a complete deal-breaker for me and Personal Brain.  I'm hoping someone will have some insight into what's going on, and whether or not it can be fixed.

dlorde
Thanks - for some reason, it helps to know it's not just my personal bug 

I've been using PB for years now, and I've never had this problem before. It's a BIG problem when the brain contains over 1000 thoughts whose attachments and notes have been shuffled...

Maybe I can find an uncorrupted backup.
zenrain
You may want to contact support directly with this issue. If you are able to recreate in a session (when the duplication actually occurs), you should make a copy of the output.log before you close the session and start another (it's overwritten with each new session), and include it in your e-mail.. It's in the PersonalBrain program files folder. You may also want to include details on your OS, PB version, Java version etc.

I haven't experienced this issue myself, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Sorry.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Moe
dlorde,

We would be interested in seeing a copy of your Brain to further check into the issue you are reporting. If you can send it in and let us know which file attachments appear on the wrong Thoughts and to which Thoughts they belong to, as well as which Thoughts contain URL attachments which are not working that would help us in troubleshooting the issue you have run into. Also, if there is any other information you can share on the background of this issue it would be really helpful along with other info as such zenrain mentioned in his post.

Thanks,
Moe
dlorde
Thanks Moe - I've just discovered that my work brain that I keep on my laptop has also been corrupted this way - which strongly suggests it was a PB update that caused the problem. 

Fortunately, I'm now retired, so this brain no longer contains sensitive data, so I can send you this one with a list of some of the corrupted thoughts so you can see for yourself.

I guess you want a brain zip - should I send it to you in an email?
dlorde
Meanwhile, I found an uncorrupted backup of my main brain, but it's a few months old. 

I'd like to update the backup with the recent changes in the corrupted brain, if possible.

Is there any way I can discover which thoughts have been added or changed since a certain date? Is there an activity log I can check?

zenrain
Go to the Reports tab and click the All Dates dropdown. Choose Modified or Created depending on which one you want to see, and then select your date range in the date fields that pop up.

Just a warning that Modified generally displays a lot of thoughts, especially for a month, as it's any modification (link changing, notes, etc.).

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
dlorde
Thanks Zenrain, that's a great help.

Further investigation reveals that notes entries seem to have been duplicated (copied) to random thoughts, but attachments (mostly web URLs) have been moved to random thoughts. 

However, attempting to re-attach a missing URL displays the message that it is already attached, and on cancelling that and going to the thought where it is attached, the same thought is displayed (i.e. the one it is missing from). This suggests that the attachment link is still correct internally, but it displays in the properties of a different thought... weird.

Moe
dlorde,

Quote:

I guess you want a brain zip - should I send it to you in an email?

Yes, please send in a Brainzip copy of your Brain to support@thebrain.com referencing this post.

Thanks,
Moe

dlorde
Done. A Brainzip is on it's way.
Moe
Thanks dlorde, we are looking into the issue now. I will keep you informed with the results.

Thanks,
Moe
dlorde
Quote:
 I will keep you informed with the results.

Clearly a very difficult problem...
Moe
dlorde, Thank You for posting. I will follow up with the engineer that is currently investigating your issue and get back to asap via your support ticket.

Thank You for patiently waiting,
Moe
dlorde
Thanks for the update Moe, I appreciate it. 

Glad to know the engineers have found what the problem is.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software