cd

Me again,

another script i came up with. It converts from PB5.5 xml export (i use it for copying individual thoughts and wandering twds. the children&jumps) to an html outline of nested lists making use of the prototype and scriptaculous js frameworks to toggle note-contents / hierarchies, which is probably overkill, but hey... The other big difference to the PB Outline export is that Thought-Labels and Types are shown as well which is why i came up with this in the first place. Beware: A thought might come up twice if it's a child of more than one thought etc AND you should export a structure that has only one(!) main thought atm. 

I'm not sure i will go on bugfixing this (e.g. if you export a structure w/o notes i think it doesn't execute, unless i fixed that at some moment, look at the code if u need to) but wanted to share in case sb. wants to go on using the main parsing as the "t"-hash is quite useful for searches or the like as well.

Actually, if i do find the time, i might code this into a more extensive search (&replace maybe?) and report tool especially for showing the differences between one brain and another. That way, one could correlate backups and get a diff-sort of report on changed, added, lost, ..., thoughts and maybe even a history for notes.

Well, I'm sure you can think of something else to do with this in case you like perl :-)

Let me know if you use it & for what, I'd appreciate.

I've included some screenshots of the simple looking html (that can be easily styled via css) output. For testing, there's also a brainzip and the test.xml to recreate if needed.

Btw: This is pure alpha-code. Use at your own risk. Thanks.

[EDIT: uploaded fixed parse.pl (sorting and no more lynx call or unecessary filehandles open) and README. If you use this, you should update! - Sa 16. Jan 00:46:04 CET 2010 /EDIT]

Cheers
Chris

Click image for larger version - Name: 2010-01-15--1263510881_1024x600_scrot.png, Views: 456, Size: 82.09 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 2010-01-15--1263511398_1024x600_scrot.png, Views: 456, Size: 57.26 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 2010-01-15--1263511405_1024x600_scrot.png, Views: 456, Size: 64.16 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 2010-01-15--1263511489_1024x600_scrot.png, Views: 457, Size: 89.48 KB
--
PB 5.5.2
Java 1.6.0_14 w/ -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dawt.toolkit=sun.awt.motif.MToolkit
Crunchbang Linux on an NC10
cd

There's an error in the README file It says to download the xml to disc and to run 

"perl parse.pl > output.html" ... It's missing the xml file as input. Sorry about that, i guess some might have figured out.

Anyway, the correct syntax is:

"perl parse.pl input.xml > output.html"

on a std. linux with lynx & perl installed plus the modules referred to in the README. Thanks to zenrain again for pointing out the problem!

As posted elsewhere, i'll try to look into recoding some of the source (esp. the dirty lynx call) and also into installing strawberry perl and the modules under windows, posting a better INSTALL file etc.

Thanks
Chris

--
PB 5.5.2
Java 1.6.0_14 w/ -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dawt.toolkit=sun.awt.motif.MToolkit
cd

I've updated parse.pl and uploaded a new .zip above.

It now doesn't require lynx or /tmp anymore. Should be easier to get running with strawberry perl. The INSTALL file tells you what perl modules need to get installed from CPAN. Sort::Naturally is a new one.

Cheers
Chris

--
PB 5.5.2
zenrain
Got this working, it's fantastic. Thanks!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software