Jestre
Should I be able to use the same PB4 brain file on two different computers?  While playing with this, I wanted to be able to use it at home and work, so I configured two computers to synchronize the files to each other (with BeInSync). 

This morning, however, when I got to work and tried to open the synchronized brain file, I was presented with a blank document.  Looking through the log, I saw DB init statements, not what I expected.

Looking through some of the files, I see the icons, etc for items which I had pasted into the brain, so it looks like the info made it here originally.

The only other thing which I may have done was enter an email address during the setup/install process which was different from the one I used at home.  Does it build GUID's based on those?

I'll try to find another copy of the EULA to see what it says, license-wise, about syncing.

Thanks for any information.

bmac
there are other threads in this forum concerning synchronization which you may want to refer to.  One of the problems I see about trying to synchronize between two computers is that if the PB4 file simply contains links to a file on computer #1 then obviously that file will not be available to you at computer #2. Otherwise, I believe that other users have reported success using PB4 on two different computers.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 2017, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i7
Jestre
Thanks for the reply.  I had previously tried looking for other threads, but doing a search for 'sync' yielded only four threads with the word 'since' in them.  I see now that there is another search for the forum software.

As it is my understanding that the free version will not support document links (other than URLs), I'm less concerned about losing a file link than I am about losing all the other data.  Though if I do upgrade, I would certainly keep the directory structures intact in a similar manner.

jeffkowalski
Jestre,
Just yesterday I began experimenting with synching my brain using a product very similar to BeInSync (I use Foldershare, which is free).
I've found that I cannot use The Brain simultaneously on two computers (or even have the same brain open on both).  The Brain will hold open three files for the duration of execution:  brain.log, brain.lck, and brain.data.  If you're running the app on two computers, each pointing to a synced brain, then they'll each hold their local copies open.  When one makes a change and your sync software tries to copy to the other, it'll generate an error (at best) or inconsistency (at worst).
The solution could lie in a scheme similar to what a product like EverNote uses.  Explicit local sync from active file to a "central" file, which can safely be synched across to other computers (whose apps could then sync locally to the central file).
Of course, this would mean that PB would need to support intelligent synchronization of two brains, which I'd presume would be a big feature request.
In the meantime, you'll need to be 100% certain you close a brain on all computers and permit your sync process to conclude before opening it on another computer.

Jeff Kowalski
Harlan
Any use of sync software where concurrent modification of a brain is done or where modification to both copies is done prior to sync will probably result in corruption of your brain. Do not do this... make sure that your use only one copy and sync it to the other prior to making changes there.

Unfortunately, simple folder sync software is just not smart enough to be able to sync a Brain.

Without giving too much away, I will say that we have ambitious plans for PBs future in this regard.

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote: Without giving too much away, I will say that we have ambitious plans for PBs future in this regard.

I've always been a big fan of Lotus Notes db replication capabilities.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Jestre
jeffkowalski wrote: Jestre,
Just yesterday I began experimenting with synching my brain using a product very similar to BeInSync (I use Foldershare, which is free).
I've found that I cannot use The Brain simultaneously on two computers (or even have the same brain open on both). 

I actually tried Foldershare first, but could not get it to connect to the server at the office, so I switched to BeInSync.

I expected failures with both open concurrently, but that has not been an issue, e.g. I used it at home last night, closed it about 21:30 and didn't actually try to open the office one until 07:30 today.  Last night I had put in a few entries as a test, but when I opened it this morning at the office, they were gone.  The brain.log shows a lot of DELETE and followup INSERT SQL statements which I haven't delved into too deeply yet.

Ah well...

Lotus Notes fan?  Must be Eric Mack in disguise!

tcahill
Eric Mack in disguise?

Surely you Jest(re). There must be one or two others out there who like Lotus.

But speaking of replication, how about skipping that entirely and just running your brain from a private ftp site?

How about that, Harlan? How difficult would it be to build some ftp savvy into PB's architecture?

Now here is a suprise: -- You know, this is a tangent.. I'm going to start a new post for this one. I'll update a link here but I've got to close and re-open my browser first.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
BillH
Actually, I've use foldershare with PB3 and now PB4 with zero problems.  I also use Beinsync.  Beinsync was a major problem, because it wasn't fast enough to keep up with the constant changes that PB3 and PB4 are making while a brain is open.  The techs at BeInsync confirmed this with me in an extended session with them.

Foldershare works extremely well, but there are some rules. You should only have the brains open on one machine at a time.  You should also make sure foldershare has caught up with all of the changes, before switching to the other machine.  To do this, close your Brains on the 1st machine and check the 'activity view' on the foldershare menu and make sure all transfer and update tasks are complete.  After that, you can switch to the other machine without a problem. If you don't do this, you'll get file conflicts that foldershare will force you to resolve and you could lose information. 

Hope that helps...Bill

Harlan wrote: Any use of sync software where concurrent modification of a brain is done or where modification to both copies is done prior to sync will probably result in corruption of your brain. Do not do this... make sure that your use only one copy and sync it to the other prior to making changes there.

Unfortunately, simple folder sync software is just not smart enough to be able to sync a Brain.

Without giving too much away, I will say that we have ambitious plans for PBs future in this regard.

Jestre
Thanks for that information.  It seems like Foldershare is the way to go but, unfortunately, it does not work at the office.

Regardless, while installing 4072 to test it I read the EULA and found I cannot use the free one at the office, so this all becomes moot.  Should I become addicted and buy the Pro version, I'll just keep it on a Samba share and sync it that way.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software