twospoons
Does PB4 have the ability to export to a single XML file like version 3 had?

Is there a way to import a .pba file back into PB4?

Are PB3 .brn files the only files that can import into PB4?

What are some of the future import/export features that are in the works?

Thanks!
Wes
Harlan
The export PBA file command creates a single XML file like that used in version 3. At this time, the import functions include importing of BRN files, IE bookmarks, and Firefox bookmarks (new in 4.0.4.9).

Future plans include the ability to import folders as well as other Brain files.
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
Importing Bookmarks - Great. That then made me wonder whether there is now, or will be, a means to synchronize such imports. And indeed - in the future, presumably as PB4 supports more importing options - such as entire windows file system directory structures, that there will be a means to keep those directories synchronized with the corresponding Thoughts/attachments - e.g. today you import a folder with 100 files - then tomorrow, you delete two, and add two new ones (to the windows file system ) - then click synchronize in PB4 and two corresponding Thoughts/attachments are deleted, and two new Thoughts/attachments are added. There would also be an option in PB4 - when deleting Thoughts/attachments originally created via imported local files - to either delete the corresponding local files or not (as is the case in Kinook's UltraRecall V3).

It would be really fab to be able to do this with entire directory structures inside Outlook (not just contacts, but emails, tasks etc) - and be able to keep them in Sync... UltraRecall Version 3 from Kinook.com is now doing exactly this - and really well, with Outlook and the Windows File System... and it would be even better to have this in PB4. UltraRecall also imports and synchronizes Outlook Categories - where changes to categories in either Outlook, or UltraRecall (they are called Key Words also in Ultrarecall) - are correctly synchronized.

Thanks,

Ian

IJG
Harlan
Hi Ian,

The import facilities will not be able support synchronization since PB's data structure is much richer than the data sources it imports from. There are many things you can do in PB that you cannot in a set of folders for example. If you want to keep things in sync, virtual thoughts are the way to go.
Regards,
-Harlan
igoldsmid
Hi Harlan

Sorry to ask a quation if it has already been answered, but when "importing" a folder structure and all its files as Virtual Thoughts" - does PB4 index the files thus "virtualized" - (just like it does when linking web pages)?

Thanks, Ian

IJG
tcahill
Import bookmarks? -- Where is this function? I've been on the road all day, and I can't find it anywhere. User error or Linux glitch?
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Shiiko
See: File> Import Favorites (IE)
        File> Import Firefox Bookmarks

tcahill
Ah, Linux error. These commands are missing! Well, the Firefox import is missing. The IE import wouldn't make too much sense.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Elmar
I work with Beta 4.0.4.9 but I miss the items to import bookmarks in the file menu. Only Import Brain appears in the file menu. Any suggestions?

Elmar.

Harlan
The import from IE and Firefox only appear if PB can locate your Favorites and Firefox folders...

Under Linux/Mac, this location has not yet been added for Firefox. If you are running under Windows, it should work OK. If not, please let us know.

We will fix Firefox import for Linux/Mac...
Regards,
-Harlan
Elmar
Harlan,

I use Windows XP Prof and have installed Firefox as well as IE. But items do not appear in File menu.

Regards, Elmar.

Harlan
Hi Elmar,

Can you locate and post the location of your Firefox profiles folder? For example, mine is at C:\Documents and Settings\hhugh.BRAIN\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

For IE, please locate your Favorites folder. Mine is at C:\Documents and Settings\hhugh.BRAIN\Favorites.

It is because PB cannot find these folders it is not showing the import commands. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Elmar
Hi Harlan,

due to localized version of Windows, both folders are at other positions as yours:
IE is at: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Elmar\Favoriten
Firefox is at: :\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Elmar\Anwendungsdaten\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
PB is at: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Elmar\Application Data\PersonalBrain

Regards Elmar.

Elmar
Hi Harlan,

well, perhaps another misbehavior might be the reason for the import problems. When I close PB, I get an error box: Could not save preferences to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Elmar\Eigene Dateien\00_PKM\test2.brain

The folder location in this box is a path which doesn't exist, it is an old path I used before with former beta versions.
My actual brain is located at: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Elmar\Eigene Dateien\10_Ideen\Organisationsmanagement

It seems that TheBrain never forgets .

Regards, Elmar.

Harlan

Elmar, the problem with saving preferences is unrelated, but it has been solved already and will be in version 4.0.5.0, up soon.

Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software