clanbrown
Hello all,

I use Linux as a daily driver and now resort to running TheBrain in a windows VM. It's a 32-bit windows 7 OS using VirtualBox (3GB RAM & 2 CPUS for the VM) and the Windows OS itself is quite snappy, but the TheBrain is very slow, seconds for any click and moving around the plex. Editing notes is just fine once you get to the thought you want to edit.

The CPU goes to 100% if TheBrain is being used, there is 1GB of free RAM in the VM.

Even adding a new thought with F6 takes several seconds for the dialog to appear for the thought title. I have 3D acceleration turned on and the virtual video card has 256MB of RAM.

Any thoughts on what I might do to improve performance?
metta
@clanbrown ~

Lots of different factors can contribute to speed issues in TB9, so it may take a bit of troubleshooting.

In my own case, the slow performance turned out to be caused by a conflict between my anti-virus program and TB.

Running TB in a virtual box certainly does create another layer of complexity, and I realize my anti-virus issue may not be relevant if, like my partner, you're running Linux, the Virtual Box, and Windows without any anti-virus programs -- but I thought I'd mention it just in case my solution might bring other troubleshooting options to mind.
clanbrown
Thanks, @metta, I'll take a look!
metta
Great! Do let us know what you discover.

I, personally, will be interested in your progress since I've often thought I might want to consider switching to Linux and running TB in a virtual environment.

🙂
clanbrown
I installed TheBrain 9 on a Windows 10, 64-bit VirtualBox VM on the same PC and it's performance is dramatically better. I have no issues using it now.
metta
Good to know! Thanks so much for the update, Brian.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software