igoldsmid1
The REALLY neat feature of Pearltrees - http://www.pearltrees.com (which is kind of like Personal Brain running in a browser) - is the ability to add other users Pearltrees to your own - and when they update/add to them, you get those too.

Imagine the potential if Personal Brain provided a means to something like that... in that case, many cooks could massively improve "the broth"

Ian Goldsmid
rhodes
Ian, thanks for making us aware of PearlTree. (You need to delete the comma after the .com in your link to make it work.)

After checking out the videos I can't see it being anywhere near as useful as PersonalBrain, which allows children to have more than one parent, so is much closer to the way we organize our knowledte. From what I can tell, PearlTree only lets you create single parent trees, little more than an online mind map.

The basic idea of sharing knowledge trees is a good one and maybe the single parent tree idea makes it much more feasible, but since there doesn't seem to be a standard ontology for this I think I would find it difficult to understand others' PearlTrees and therefore reluctant to import them into mine. Have to say I haven't tried it out. What do others think?

Alan Rhodes
Duke

There's nothing like PB

Duke
igoldsmid1
Rhodes - yes I agree - I was only mentioning it because I was struck by the idea of collaboratively building a brain (online) or being able to copy and paste whole structures from other peoples Brains - Pearltrees is clearly much more basic in all respects other than that ..

Ian Goldsmid
rhodes
Quote: I was struck by the idea of collaboratively building a brain (online) or being able to copy and paste whole structures from other peoples Brains

Yea, that's a bit of a holy grail, I guess, would save us a lot of work having to create our own. But thats the problem as I see it -  very few people speak the same metalanguage. The most widely accepted ontology would have to be Wikipedia's I think - I got this idea from zenrain after reading thru some old forum posts:
http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3644258

That kind of opened my eyes. I suppose that as time progresses we will have standard meta-dictionaries..just musing..maybe Harlan can build one into a future version of personalbrain..
Alan Rhodes
JosefBetancourt
Plus, I think, though I can't find the reference, that these kinds of visualizations of graphs (the math kind) don't do very well in real world use.  After awhile the panning and branch expansion/contraction is just not conducive to ease of use.  How does it scale?   Some facebook people have thousands of "friends".  Imagine trying to grab all that (plus each related interests) in a graph.  Maybe they solved it, who knows?  From the intro and help system its hard to tell.

Anyway, I'm not dismissing PearlTrees or any other attempt at this problem.  Someone or company will solve this problem, navigation of web sized social networks.

While navigating through a PearlTrees network (via Help) I clicked on a little ball next to a pearl and got a tree of closes connections to x.  clicked on y and the bread crumbs trail at top lost that I was at x, it shows y came from z.  Incorrect.  Already lost in the forest.  How do I get back?  Browser back button?  Fail.

PED

Hi! Thanks a lot for mentioning Pearltrees and one of its key feature: we have a LOT of respect for PB in the team and it’s quite an honor being cited here J I’ve just read the entire thread and I’d like to add some elements!

@Rhodes There’s a way in Pearltrees to make children have more than one parent: the “copy” feature allows you to put a pearl in several different pearltrees so that the structure of your account is not fully linear

@JosefBetancourt : Concerning the use of the minipearl (or “little ball” as you named it^)^, it shows the 50 most connected brains built by other users on the subject, based on the URLs you have in common. If you browse another user’s pearltree, there’s a button on the left that allows you to go back to where you came from so you don’t have to use the back button of your browser!

Pearltrees is still in beta and we’re working on improving the UI and adding new features, especially building pearltrees in a collaborative way. However, Pearltrees won’t replace PB as a general organization tool: it’s more about creating the first human organization of the web and enabling anyone to become a web curator, and we believe the tree shape is the natural format to do so!

(disclosure: I work at Pearltrees)

rhodes
Thanks PED for replying and welcome to our forum.

I will have to take another look at PT in view of your comment that one can copy a pearl to several pearltrees, resulting in a multiparent network. It's a somewhat different approach than PB's. There are several apps out there that make multiparent trees possible, but the implementation of this may be much more difficult than it should be. At least PB is democratic here; it's no harder to join three or four parents to a child node than it is to link one.

Alan Rhodes
vapan

Does anyone knows how can I import the .rdf file of PearlTrees-export to PB?

ChrisCase
You can of course embed a Pearltree in the note of a PB thought. Of course, it will vanish in Webbain, but not in Sitebrain...
metta
I recently rediscovered PearlTrees, and I've been intrigued with what I've found.

Apparently, it's been some time now since the "tree" display gave way to a new grid layout.  From what I understand, the "tree" (outline) structure within PT still remains, but it is now no longer visible.

However, PT does have several appealing features:
> an attractive visual layout with optional labels on each item
> "sections" and nesting "collections" within one another provides a level of organization not usually available in bookmarking or social media sites
> the ability to "duplicate" items and collections (described above) places the same item in multiple locations, thereby creating an invisible linked network

> social sharing on every individual item and on collections
> collaboration on collection development
> comments
> file uploads
> web site embeds
> modest (limited) export function

Premium accounts provide several additional features including:
> ad-free white label collections
> customizable backgrounds for each collection
> private collections
> mobile (offline) mode
> enhanced annotation options
> enhanced security (encryption)
> ability to archive web pages forever (even after they disappear from the web)

Although PT can never replace the visible connectivity provided in TB (and although there is no desktop interface), I do find PearlTrees quite appealing for curating and sharing visual collections of resources.

I'm also curious now: has anyone here ever done anything with PearlTrees in it's current incarnation?

If so, I'd love to see your collections and learn more about your experience.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software