IanM
I think location should be supported as a common metadata type for all thoughts. 

Like time, location is a trait of virtually all information, and it's valuable for making connections between thoughts. 

Also like time, most information has multiple dimensions of location context. 

For example, the location where I enter a thought is similar to the timestamp of when I enter the thought. As a user of The Brain it's valuable for me to know something like "I was in Rome when I made this note about the fall of the Roman Empire." 

Moving onto addition location contexts, I can note a specific location, a travel path, or a region. At a conceptual level, I could even enter extra-terrestrial locations. I could add any number of location dimensions to a thought. 

Finally, I should be able to view a map interface similar to viewing a timeline interface that supports making connections with other thoughts based on their locations. 
Cerebrum
Good idea! ÃƒÆ’°Å¸â€˜Â

There are many, many ways in which location info could be useful in TheBrain.

I like how you compare time with location. Each one represents a dimension of almost everything that I store and it would be nice to specify each dimension for a thought and then select and view thoughts that are related by time and/or location. 
COMPUTERHLP
@IanM       +1 👍 
This is a great expression of the location concept/idea.
I've been wrestling similarly in my TB project to represent location as links between thoughts (places).  This in conjunction with maps (as a supplemental visual representation).  (unfortunately, there is a display problem/issue with the internal web browser for Google maps).    ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸ËœÅ¸
Please take a look at my web brain concept/project in this regard of representing place locations and relationships & distance between places (within the 'current limitations' of TB - such as, I am unable to visually represent compass direction (N/S/E/W) relationship between places (esp. when the view reverses position)).
Explore USA States @ Colorado - Parks would be a good example.  This collective view contains all Colorado's 72 National Parks, Forests, Wilderness Areas, and 52 State Parks. Click on any Park will reconfigure the view to show all the other Parks surrounding that place in the immediate vicinity - linked as Jump Thoughts with mileage labels.  Exploring these further leads to more connected places, and discovering new Parent interest groups.  (Landscape orientation view is generally preferred/recommended (plex over notes) - the plex space gets very busy in some views; down-size the Notes space until needed.)
I think your location concept/idea would be quite applicable here. Your feedback is appreciated.

I hope the TB development team will take this location idea under consideration to implement.   👍
COMPUTER.HLP
eeik
I too have given a great deal of consideration to this feature space and would LOVE to see a brain native map overlay plex mode. My partner and I (both UX designers and product designers) have riffed on this a bit and have a perfect sample graphic to share within this thread to stoke the imagination of the team. Please have a look at the image below as a loose visual for viewing a context bounded collection of thoughts within a specific research goal oriented user flow.

This particular research project was to explore local coffee shops in the Santa Fe area, overlay them onto a map, surface some specific researcher defined meta-data to help "make a decision" or "shape a business proposal." Having the map overlay plex mode as both an optional and exportable artifact to share within a presentation as well as a dynamic plex++ extension for navigating any and all thoughts with geo-location data would be awesome to see included in the product.

Think bigger 🚀
Example Map Overlay.png 
eeik
COMPUTERHLP wrote:

(unfortunately, there is a display problem/issue with the internal web browser for Google maps).    ÃƒÆ’°Å¸ËœÅ¸

@COMPUTERHLP ... you're in luck if you'd like to embed Google Maps as the use of an iframe is your mid-term saving grace ... have fun with this! I like what you're doing with your Explore USA States project BTW 👍

See the image below for how TB renders the attached "notes.html" file. While probably not *officially sanctioned* by the team, there is NOTHING stopping the embedded browser from rendering an iframe in this manner when you might happen to "edit" the "notes.html" page from an external text editor.
Google  Maps Example.png 

Have fun!
metta
Thank you, eeik! This looks like a fabulous work-around.

In the past, when I tried editing the HTML code in my notes, it didn't seem to "hold".

However, this certainly would be a HUGE help (if I can get it work) since all of my various (previous) iFrame tests never  completely produced the intended result.

Off to do more testing now....Thanks again! Ã°Å¸ËœÆ’
systemswiki
I tried to do this with a few HTML options not in the editor and once I loaded the .html file TheBrain ate my code. Have you found it doesn't do this with iFrames? Can you actually edit someone on the page or is it look but don't touch?
eeik
My testing seems to indicate the iframes are honored even when editing the notes from within TheBrain after making the addition. Perhaps related to how YouTube embeds were supported?

The "notes.html" file is natively an HTML file itself with the RichText features expressing WYSIWYG capabilities through TheBrain's notes interface. It seems like *some* above and beyond HTML tags may be honored such as <p> which isn't necessarily needed by default and of course <a> tags with "class" values defined ... i.e. "video-link" class triggers YouTube embed rendering, such as this example used below:

<p><a class="video-link" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BqObGA6ss">This House has some CRAZY Insulation Details - YouTube</a></p>

HTML Honored.png 

As hacker/developer types that wish to extend the capabilities of TheBrain, it would be great to hear from the team as to which HTML tags ARE supported and are NOT supported so that we can know how risky from a future proofing perspective our hacks may be. 🔮
metta
Gene ~

I'm using the Brackets app to open and edit the HTML in my notes, and so far I've had no problem with the edits disappearing in TB. I've even been able to save my edits in Brackets, then refresh the note and continue making additional edits using TB's note editor.

However, the HTML edits I've made have been extremely simple, and I haven't done a lot of them. Also, my success with using the iFrame embeds in the notes has been mixed, at best.
COMPUTERHLP
@eeik:  Thanks for your map suggestion.  It is a better 'work-around' than other methods. I may employ this for the interim, until the internal web browser issues are resolved. Thanks very much.  😎  👍
COMPUTER.HLP
IanM
Thanks all for the comments and examples. Great to see that others see the value in this. 
metta
eeik wrote:
As hacker/developer types that wish to extend the capabilities of TheBrain, it would be great to hear from the team as to which HTML tags ARE supported and are NOT supported so that we can know how risky from a future proofing perspective our hacks may be. 🔮

+1

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software