pshanks

I’m finding the interaction with the plex slow and sluggish at times.

I just mouse over a thought, then move to another thought and sometimes it’s instance and sometimes it takes a few seconds for the thought to be hi-lighted.

Also if I activate a thought and then hit the back mouse button, then mouse to a different thought  that sometimes can take a few seconds.

I’m seeing few errors in the output log that I don’t think should be appearing. I’ve attached my output log for your review.

(Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" java.lang.NullPointerException)

I’m running the following

PB6.0.1.0-b

Vista 32 SP2

mcaton
Thank you Pat.  I'll make sure our engineers take a look.

Thanks,
Matt
Shuhart75
My work brain is not that big ~350 thoughts and twice as many links, but I should say webbrain copy of the brain works much faster and without any slowdowns and seconds of unresponsiveness. It seems wrong somehow.

I hope that's because beta code is not optimized yet.

Ivan
GRSaunders
Hi,

I'm also experiencing a very slow and sluggish plex in 6.0.1.1.  It does not matter the size of the brain...most of mine are very small.

Hope it is fixed soon!

mcaton
George,

Can you also send us a copy of your Output.log file on one of the smaller brains that is having the 'slow plex' issue?

Thank you,
Matt
GRSaunders
Matt,

So far it seems to be fine in 6.0.1.2 ... not sure if that was expected to make a difference...if the plex slows down again, I'll post my output.log here.

Thanks,
George

mcaton
Good to hear!  Thanks for the update.

Matt
Shuhart75
Lucky you are. I've got a number of brains, and the small ones (around ~50 thoughts and as many links) are almost good. Sometimes the plex may stutter on thought activation, but most of the time it works smoothly.

But my bigger brains work with difficulty. And it seems the problem is not the number of thoughts or links.

I've got a library brain with 221 thought and 569 links. It works fast and almost without a glitch. And I've got another brain (my work one) with 363 thoughts and 642 links. That brain is a real trouble. Plex freezes all the time. On thought activation, on mouse hover etc. And I think the problem is that I use a lot of types and icons in that brain.

There is only 1 type in my library brain and absolutely no icons. And there are 42 thought types in my work brain (all with icons and custom colors), 3 link types, 17 tags and a lot of custom icons. I think that if I remove all the icons (or types?) from the brain, everything will run smoothly. I really hope that you'll be able to do something about it, because  using of the thought icons is one of the best feature in PB on my opinion.

Ivan.
pshanks
PB6013

I'm seeing that same thing as Shuhart75 is seeing!!!

Small Brains are OK, but the larger Brains are painfully show.

I've check the output.log but there is nothing showing in there to send you.

andreas
My brain has become terribly slow (both of them, but that is another story). I run a 4GB brain with lots of internal pdf attachements. It now takes seconds to activate a thought, to change names of thoughts etc. It's really painful and reminds me of computer programs in the 80s...

Win 7/64, 6.0.1.4

Harlan
We have examined the log information submitted to us on this issue and so far cannot see anything that could be causing issues with speed. To help us track this down, please do the following:
  1. Verify that you are running your brain from a local drive - not a network location nor a mapped drive.
  2. Verify that you do not have external attachments on a network location nor a mapped drive.
  3. If mouseovers are causing a problem, turn off "Update tools on mouseover of Thoughts" in Preferences > UI and let us know if this provides relief of the problem when doing mouseovers (this will not affect activations).
If 1 and 2 are not the cause, let us know if 3 makes a difference or not. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks
Harlan,
PB6014-b

1 and 2 I'm working with local drive for both.

Tried #3 - It makes a difference mousing over thought(s). But activating thoughts in normal mode is still very sluggish. Even trying to type into the search box is still slow.

I did notice that when I active a thought (which as many children) my dual CPU goes from ~ 20 to 30% to 100% and then back down again.

~ Pat

Harlan
Pat,

Thanks for the info. Can you please try doing the same action using version 5.5 and let me know if there is a significant difference?

Also, can you test if the size of the notes attached to the thought being activated as well as the thought being deactivated makes any difference? (See if you can replicate the problem when there is nothing in the notes of either thought please.)

Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks
Harlan,

PB5.5 is significantly faster.

There are NO notes attached to any of these documents.

But they do have Capture Thought Icon

I'll create a video showing both PB6014 & PB5524 and the difference is speed.

~ Pat

pshanks
Harlan,

Here is a video showing the difference is speed between the two versions.
http://screencast.com/t/ZWI3NjczM

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software