Houston
If it's not one thing it's another!  My PB has become very erratic in accepting drag-and-drop when the plex is docked with auto-hide.  Rebooting my Win XP can fix it, but only for a few minutes.  Otherwise, about 80% of the time I drag something into the plex, the plex window instantly snaps shut and no thought was created.  Same thing if I'm dragging a URL to attach to an existing thought.

I have to reopen the plex and change the "window" setting to float.  Then everything works fine.  This problem only appeared after the 4.1.3.2 update, but I don't recall if the problem appeared right away.  Anybody know what's causing this?
mcaton
Thanks for pointing this out.  I haven't seen or heard of this issue.

We've had a few Drag and Drop issue reports on Vista... but those are caused by Vista, and happen in all applications, not just PB.  This is obviously not the issue on your XP.

After the problem starts happening again (duplicate the issue 2 or 3 times in a row) and send me a copy of your output.log file and we'll see if we've captured anything.  Typically this file is located in Program Files/PersonalBrain/output.log.

Has anyone else out there ever experienced this?

Thanks,
Matt 
Houston
I was trying to pin down more info on this.  Had the impression that defragging ram fixed it, but this turned out not to be the case.  Also, I can drag from the desktop with no problem.  The problem shows up when I drag a URL from the address bar of the browser.  This is normally Firefox.  I  tried I.E. and got the same result with an interesting difference.  From Firefox nothing happens at all except the plex window closing instantly.  With I.E. the window closes, but I.E. then reloads whatever page it was looking at.

When switching back from a floating PB to a docked PB, the drag-URL function will usually continue working for one more drag.  Now, here's the fun part.  I've been using two brains that are getting quite large.  I created a new empty brain this morning and drug six URLs from Firefox with no problem.  It took them all.  The docked PB window still slams shut (now I can't remember if it is supposed to do that or not - I don't like it) and I have to click on the brain button to see if it took the URL, but all of them were there. 

Six in a row seemed like success, but after I spent a few minutes making some notes in a text editor, I returned to the still open browser and tried to drag another URL into the still docked plex. Wouldn't take it - tried three times and all failed.  I was going to random websites for this.  The URL that failed was for a Florida Strawberry Festival.  I opened a couple more sites in the browser.  The national science foundation could be drug into the plex with no problem, and likewise the national technology transfer center.  Returned to the Firefox tab with the Florida Strawberries.  Could not get PB to accept a drag from the address bar for this URL.   Finally floated the PB window - on top - and could drag the strawberry site into the plex with no problem.

I'll see about sending you a log file.
mcaton
Houston,

Thanks for the log file.  We're taking a look now.

Matt
Harlan
Houston,

It could be that another program is causing PB to lose the focus and thus hide the window. To fix this, open you preferences and go to Options > General > Window Settings. Make sure the "Prevent auto-hide during mouseover" is selected.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
One other thing to check... What kind of mouse are you using? Is it possible that the mouse button may be getting released inadvertently? Autohide should not occur whenever the mouse button is held down. Perhaps you could try switching to another mouse and see if that is the source of the issue.
Regards,
-Harlan
Houston
I'm using Microsoft's wireless Intellimouse, and there's a software component between the mouse and the machine.  I considered this, but in fact I've been using this mouse all along and the problem didn't show up until recently.  However, since I am the only one having the problem, we both know that odds are high that the cause is in my own machine.

I'm going to examine the long list of processes running in background and see if there is a possible answer there.  (Ought to clean some of these up, anyway!)  Shouldn't have any mal-ware, but the best bet looks to me like a conflict of some sort.
----------------------- update ---------------
Oops - This may be it.   I  just checked the "prevent autohide" option that you mentioned above.  It was NOT checked, and checking it immediately solved the problem of the window snapping shut after the drag-and-drop.  Also, a drag of a URL from the browser worked as well.  Since this was erratic it will take some time to determine if is really fixed.  I'm not sure how this became unchecked and I'm surprised it is an option at all.  But if this fixes the problem it would be wonderful indeed!

Houston
This problem has not reappeared.  Apparently I unchecked the "mouse-hide" option when previously trying to resolve another issue and then forgot about it.  Since there doesn't appear to be any advantage to this option, it seems to me it should be removed from the option list, or handled in a very different way.

Thanks for the help!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software