fLZogu2d
Yea!! PortableApps Java Portable 6 Update 14 now available. This completely solves my problem with running PB 5 on my machine at work where Java isn't installed and I'm not allowed to install it.

I'm very pleased! This makes PB 5 a usable solution for me at work and at home.

Here's the link:

http://portableapps.com/news/2009-06-25-_java_portable_6_update_14

Hope this helps some others here.

Best,

- Brett

taylor3456
It is great to find your thread. How have you done this? Have you done something following http://portableapps.com/development/portableapps.com_format ?
NeoBrain

Taylor3456,

Good evening.

I don't believe flZogu2d has done anything on the lines you are thinking with the link you mentioned in your previous post.  Of course, I can't speak for him/her.

PortableApps has repackaged the Java Runtime Environment in a portable format so applications that are flexible enough to find it in other locations than where it usually resides can find it and function.  No one has repackaged PersonalBrain and Java Runtime Environment together in a PortableApps format that I know of.  There are legal copyright reasons for that if I am not mistaken.

I authored this post http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=5042085 that you commented on the same lines as this one here.  I believe I know what you wish to have happen but I think a modification of that situation can happen.  Instead of having PersonalBrain and Java Runtime Environment combined together in a PortableApps package, if the developers review my post that I mentioned above and give their blessings (and possible instructions to the uninitiated) then users of PersonalBrain can truly have a portable experience with the application using the PortableApps version of Java Runtime Environment.

The developers can also deploy Java Runtime Environment within the portable version of PersonalBrain if they desired without using the PortableApps version of Java Runtime Environment.

At this point the key points of the thread I started above is making PersonalBrain even more portable than it currently is with the inclusion of a Java Runtime Environment that is not "installed" on the computer of the user, bringing in all extra files and folders that are created after PersonalBrain is launched back into its own folder structure, utilize relative file/folder paths instead of absolute file/folder paths, and ensure data integrity is still upheld to the highest level possible.

Haven't heard back from any moderator or developer about these key points but I am still hopeful.  I hope this information is useful to you.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
zenrain
@NeoBrain
Have you tried e-mailing support? I've noticed they generally peruse the issues forums more than the How-to section (or at least reply more ), so you may have more luck contacting them directly.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
NeoBrain

Zenrain,

I considered trying the support option like you suggested but since I have not yet purchased PersonalBrain, I wasn't sure that avenue would bear any fruit.  I am still evaluating this application for its stability, development culture, and feature set.  Besides, I noticed that the forums do seem to be active enough on both user and vendor side that I figured I would join in here.  A plus is that if it is posted on here and an answer is provided, all other forum visitors and participants benefit from the information.

The thread I started has the makings of a how-to but needed the blessing of TheBrain development team to ensure it doesn't have any unforseen caveats to the users.

Being as I am new to the forums, as I read, learn, and post I get a greater sense of the culture here.

Thank you for suggesting this option.  If you think they will respond to someone that has yet to purchase a license, then I will give it a go and then post the information to the forum.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
glientsc
NeoBrain,

Before I bought PB a month ago or so, I also tried and tested it extensively.
During that time I contacted support multiple times (up to now 10 times) as I found bugs and also had database stability issues which in the end turned out to be due to my specific computer setup. 
I also wanted to "test" support before buying and commiting my personal organisational workflow and information to the software. 

I have to say that PB support is excellent and very quick to respond, same work-day, even during Christmas/New Year season and in spite of the fact that they get ~30 requests per day on average. Resolution can take longer if things get passed on to the developers. The fact that I still was evaluating was no problem. All my issues were solved or they were filed to their to-do list if non-critical.

So if this portability issue is crucial for you, I encourage you to contact them directly.

zenrain
What glientsc said.

Edit: Matt C. replied to your thread here.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
NeoBrain

Glientsc,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experience with TheBrain support team.

Portability is important to me but that wasn't the only reason I posted to this thread.  The journey towards portability was started with the creation of the PersonalBrain archive format without installer version.  I was just trying to find out how far it went.

On a separate note, may I inquire what about your system setup caused the bugs/database instability you mentioned in your post?

Zenrain,

Thank you for your post and link.

I read what Matt wrote and responded but I don't wish to become a pest by debating whether all this should be considered a feature request or simply closing the loop on the initial effort in making a truly portable version of PersonalBrain.  I have said my piece for all those interested in listening.

I appreciate everyone's attention and feedback in the various threads involved in this topic.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
glientsc
I had a continuous backup service running that backups files as soon they are changed/created. That caused intermittent conflicts with PB when by chance the programs wanted to access a file simultaneously. Since I disabled that mirror software, I did not have any further issues.

NeoBrain

Glientsc,

Thank you for elaborating on the bugs/database instability.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain
taylor3456
NeoBrain and other fellows
thank you so much for your post.
NeoBrain

Taylor3456,

Not sure what good my posts have done on this forum other than add another debate point or be categorized as a feature request.  Neither of which is something I intended when I made them.  When I found this application, I was highly interested in its potential.  After going through the forum, I saw a trend forming around the consistency of its stability through its various versions.  After all, this isn't a word processor we are talking about.  It is a repository of accumulated information that is important to each of us to need a safe place to store it.  I became overzealous thinking I could make a couple of posts and "change the World" so to speak.  I saw how well that went.

You are welcome though and I appreciate your gratitude.

Sincerely,

NeoBrain

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software