wordmuse
when doing a simple search, I type in a search term and the new button Create comes up along with the Search button. In TheBrain7, pressing Enter activated the search. In TheBrain8 pressing Enter activates the Create button and creates a new thought.

I would at least like the option for the default to be Enter=Search.

But it OUGHT to be that way as the default. Here's why.

- It's the old behavior and doesn't require your entire user base to learn a different thing for no good reason.

- The new way means that until I do learn the new behavior, I will be inadvertently creating new thoughts and have to go through the bother of deleting them. Since Ctrl+Z doesn't undo the previous action, I have to go through the menu structure every time. My manipulation of the program is significantly degraded by this. I will, of course, adapt. The point is that without a good reason, I shouldn't have to.

- Bal
NorthFarm
+1 [thumb]
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 9.1.9 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_151
rengel
+1
Reinhard TB 9.0.263.0, WIN 10
Antonio68
Absolutely[smile]
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

jostber
If it was configurable by a choice in Options-Preferences it would be optimal for all. [smile]

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
enkidu
Agreed.

this has been discussed in another thread (although mysteriously condemned by the moderators)

1. - the default befaviour of a SEARCH button should be to search
2. - behaviour would be coherent with previous versions
3. - new, additional CREATE behaviour should NOT be the default

cheers
enkidu
zenrain
Quote:
although mysteriously condemned by the moderators

Off topic, but their reply isn't mysterious, or a condemnation:

Quote:
We had lots of requests for this feature. Many users wanted a quick way to create Thoughts without having to tie them down to a specific section right away.

As for Create being first or second, I create thoughts more than I do extended searches so I prefer it being the default, but I get that the behavior is new, requires re-training, and some use extended searches more, so I may be an outlier.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
enkidu
Hello zenrain

fair enough. I wrote faster than I thought.

also, rereading the thread I realised I'd missed this important point :

Code:
FYI: You can press tab on your keyboard to switch between Create and Search while the Search field is active. 

which settles the issue for me.

cheers
enkidu

wordmuse
The tab keyboard aspect is helpful. I still would prefer the old behavior to be the default.

This is a business decision for the developers. If they believe that most users will use that box to create thoughts rather than engage in searches, then I would force people like me to retrain. 

As I said, I can adapt. I'd prefer not to, but if this is my biggest problem, I'm doing pretty well indeed.

pthompson
I'm going to close this topic since it is being discussed here. I will share everyone's feedback and concerns with our developers though. Thank you.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software