mbaas
It would be so cool to have an import-function which would allow me to add to existing thoughts.
Even a very primitive CSV-Interface (Parent;Thought-Title;Thought-Note_without_CR etc.) would be useful, although full blown XML would be even better, as we could then also embed Notes-HTML and possibily also define stuff such as Type,Label,Tags.

JosefBetancourt
There is an API and they said they would expose more like URI to thoughts.

hock
I really like your suggestion. In a way TheBrain's standard approach has been to provide a program to manage everything-in-life by way of click&drag&type and non-geek simplicity. Now with the engineering team's superb work in creating PB4 we find that advanced use-ability is somewhat utterly constrained by a click&drag&type only approach. 

Does it make sense to cling to 'traditional only' Brain input  when users like you and others find that old constraints limit what PB4 can now 'natively' do? How much work would it take to recode parts of the program so that 'advanced' input can access the proprietory ,closed internal  PB database direct in order to add thoughts, re-number thoughts and maybe even copy clusters of connected thoughts without torturous click&drag&type?

I have some 220 thoughts in 3 minor brains which I had hoped to combine into one brain for publishing as a website. Sadly there's been no process with partial import (selections) from various other brains. Such feature development was promised earlier during the betas. I find (excuse the pun) the thought of now manually copying and pasting and relinking what's in other Brains so off putting that I have put it off for weeks even though I really would like to construct and publish  a Web Brain site.

Your idea to add some advanced user input mode for adding content, links and categorization sounds amazingly straightforward. And in a way it is just adding to what is already there in a rudimentary form (ie multiple new thought creating by way of coma delimited thought lists that can be composed in notepad).

I wonder what Harlan has to say in response to your suggestion for adding non-click&drag&type ways to organize and add to TheBrain information and knowledge management system.

Eugen Hockenjos

mbaas wrote:
It would be so cool to have an import-function which would allow me to add to existing thoughts.
Even a very primitive CSV-Interface (Parent;Thought-Title;Thought-Note_without_CR etc.) would be useful, although full blown XML would be even better, as we could then also embed Notes-HTML and possibily also define stuff such as Type,Label,Tags.

hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
mbaas
hock wrote:
I really like your suggestion.

Thanks Eugene, I'm sure Harlan read this - and I hope the reason he didn't reply was because he got busy coding it already
Harlan
Yes, we are planning both API for more sophisticated operations as well as a simpler XML based format for thoughts so that you will be able to import/export data more easily.

The XML format will likely be used for cut and paste operations as it will allow one to easily move thoughts between brains, etcetera.
Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
Great! Will that come during the remaining 27 days of my trial period? 
Harlan
This is something we are working on, but it's not ready for release just yet...
Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
Well, with the impressive speed you've shown in the last days it won't take too long, I guess  

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software